[NL20-NL50] NL50 FR - AJs on BU

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $50 (100 bb)
      SB: $23.10 (46.2 bb)
      BB: $61.36 (122.7 bb)
      MP: $38.52 (77 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J A
      MP raises to $1, CO folds, Hero raises to $3.75, SB calls $3.50, BB folds, MP calls $2.75

Flop: ($11.75) 5 8 A (3 players)
      SB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $8.33, SB calls $8.33, MP calls $8.33

Turn: ($36.74) 9 (3 players)
      SB bets $11.02 and is all-in, MP raises to $26.44 and is all-in, Hero calls $26.44

River: ($100.64) 8 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $100.64 pot ($3.00 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 A 9 8
      Hero mucked J A and lost (-$38.52 net)
      SB mucked K A and lost (-$23.10 net)
      MP showed 8 9 and won $97.64 ($59.12 net)

Stats: VPIP: 94, PFR: 65, 3B: 17, AF: 1,4, Hands: 17

Thoughts =_=
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's quite a snap fold on the turn. There's no worse hand than AJ that get it in so you rely purely on hitting the flush. Since you can also face set/2pair your flush has fewer clean outs so will have around 16% equity which is not enough to get in vs a bet and a raise.

Preflop though seems fine and on the flop I'm not thrilled about cbetting AJ unless you have some clear info on calling/raising tendencies. It's quite marginal multiway in a 3bet pot.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      It's quite a snap fold on the turn. There's no worse hand than AJ that get it in so you rely purely on hitting the flush. Since you can also face set/2pair your flush has fewer clean outs so will have around 16% equity which is not enough to get in vs a bet and a raise.

Preflop though seems fine and on the flop I'm not thrilled about cbetting AJ unless you have some clear info on calling/raising tendencies. It's quite marginal multiway in a 3bet pot.
      yyyyyyyyyyep wrong calculation I did on turn.

But could you extend on the flop issue a bit?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You have great equity but you don't really get value. You get called by better aces way too often imo. Sure, some flushdraws call but they sometimes still bet and if they hit, you get value anyway.

The J kicker makes my hand sort of medium towards weak and the flushdraw greatly improves it. I would only bet if I want to use this hand in by barreling range when I'm bluffing. This doesn't mean I bluff with this hand but it means I use this 50% equity hand to strengthen my range when I barrel T9dd or 67dd, 67ss, 78dd, etc. However, you need to know people fold at some point to even barrel and being multiway against fishy opponents, I don't think barreling works so I would now shift this hand in my bluffcatching range so I can bluffcatch until river without a problem in a spot and texture where I check to fold a lot of KQ, KJ, JT type hands anyway.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      You have great equity but you don't really get value. You get called by better aces way too often imo. Sure, some flushdraws call but they sometimes still bet and if they hit, you get value anyway.

The J kicker makes my hand sort of medium towards weak and the flushdraw greatly improves it. I would only bet if I want to use this hand in by barreling range when I'm bluffing. This doesn't mean I bluff with this hand but it means I use this 50% equity hand to strengthen my range when I barrel T9dd or 67dd, 67ss, 78dd, etc. However, you need to know people fold at some point to even barrel and being multiway against fishy opponents, I don't think barreling works so I would now shift this hand in my bluffcatching range so I can bluffcatch until river without a problem in a spot and texture where I check to fold a lot of KQ, KJ, JT type hands anyway.
      Ok understood everything except this: "in a spot and texture where I check to fold a lot of KQ, KJ, JT type hands anyway"
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      What I mean is that you have many such hands that check/fold. In other words, when you check, your next action is fold extremely often. This means you just exploit yourself, your opponents don't even have to consider your range they can bet sometimes at random and you lose money. I include AJcc in a range that checks flop to NOT give up but to call and get to river very often. It's not something you HAVE to do but it's a way that I construct my ranges that works for me.