[NL20-NL50] nl25 SH Opening range v Fishy guy

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      BUT 55/9, 60 haands 0 3bet, doesn't like folding

SB 14/12, 3.2% 3bet 300h
      BB 16/12 3.3% 3bet 100h

What kind of opening range should I be thinking about here? Given that I'm OOP and very likely to get heads up with BUT?

What kind of opening range if BUT was folding to cbets? say 67% of the time?

PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $66.77
      SB: $26.79
      BB: $25.00
      UTG: $12.48
      MP: $34.87
      Hero (CO): $38.35

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has Q:heart: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.62, fold

SB wins $0.50
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Factors to consider:

How often will the blinds let you 'isolate' BU by opening in CO (they fold preflop).

How do you make money vs BU: value betting, barreling? If he doesn't fold flop, he could fold turns/rivers, it's not a rule that someone that doesn't fold on the flop always calls down bottom pair for stacks.

If he plays fit/fold it's easy even OOP: Open as much as blinds let you, bet once with almost no equity on good flops that don't hit his range too much and barrel with equity, whether for value or bluff.

If he calls down light, just open some suited cards and high cards, value bet thinly, don't bluff to much even with mediocre draws.

Good hands imo are hands like K5s+, Q5+, J7s+, T8s+, K8o+, Q8o+, J8o+. This is what I would consider to have good enough equity postflop but depending on how light he calls down you might want to get rid of some of the lower suited cards and unconnected offsuit ones. The more you are comfortable postflop though, the more you can open. If you think you cannot play more hands than your usual CO range, don't open more. Keep it +EV!