Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($6.67)
      BB ($2)
      Hero ($6.13)
      CO ($12.25)
      BTN ($5)

Dealt to Hero A:club: A:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.17, CO raises to $0.35, fold, SB calls $0.33, fold, Hero raises to $1.30, CO calls $0.95, fold

FLOP ($3) J:spade: 3:club: K:spade:

Hero checks, CO checks

TURN ($3) J:spade: 3:club: K:spade: Q:spade:

Hero bets $1.60, CO folds

Hero shows A:club: A:diamond:

Hero wins $2.80

• 6 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I like your preflop play.

What's the reason for checking the flop? I'd bet here and put the rest on the turn.

As played, betting the turn is close, since the board is super bad, but if you go for a bet I'd make it around $1.3.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      I checked due to his aggression, they are usually more willing attacking the board then showing on my cbet for bluff.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Then the plan is to check/raise here?

I do think that check/raising looks way stronger than just betting here so I prefer playing bet/bet/bet.
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Yes

Why does it looks stronger ?

I show how i think and you step in

He will bet wider than he calls. If i call my hand is face up, but if i shove i could just as well represent bluffs and value hands.

Betting is of course good because we control action, but betting the flop is stronger, on this he could either call for value, and shove for bluff, maybe maybe float it check turn and bet river but that move is more limited to 3b pots, and when i shove turn all he calls is value.

Bet
      +protection/value
      +he might bluff his entire stack

Check
      +we are more likely to get a bet from him
      +he calls shoves lighter
      -giving away equity if he takes the check

There are pros and cons for sure against most unknown fish surely bet line is highly preferred and i agree 5/5 bet versus missed cbet ip is not much to go by but his cbet is high, his aggression is high, so it will probably stay like this.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Well here is also my little opinion.

After just a little more than 100 hands you cannot make all that assumpitions about his aggression and so on. You can just have by then a little bit of an image of his tendencies.

But as played your preflop play exactly show your strength .

If i am your opponent no way i am going to bluff here since such a preflop action. As you played you just gave him free card and this is exactly what we don't want to do. With check/raise flop you only make worse hands than your to fold or maybe you can get called by AK. With cbet you can protect your hand vs possible flushes and even get value from Kx hands so i think this is the most profitable play.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      I do agree with Alan here.

Overall, as I said in my previous post, I really don't think that check/raise looks weaker than bet.
      We will never ever bluff here with a check raise and I think that he'd be more inclined to fold his KQ for example, rather than if we play bet/bet/bet.