Bankroll management - tourneys

• boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      Good evening :)

So they say you shouldn't spend more than 1% of your bankroll for each tournament entry.

O.k., so when you move down (or up?)

Let's say I have 1000$; I can safely enter in 10$ tournaments until when, for instance? 800$, 500$?

Are there any good cushion lines?

• 11 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey boozaf :)

I hear from quite a few tournament players that 100BIs is pretty aggressive BRM too so if i were you i would go for 200+BIs but i'm a nit :D

At the end of the day it comes down to what you can handle variance in MTTs is ultra sick so keep that in mind. If you are certain you want to start at $10 games then i think $800 is a good number to move back down again.

I can't really give you much better advice because A) im a nit, and B) I don't really play tourneys only for fun to see if i can bink a biggie on a lazy Sunday

Are you planning on playing just large field MTTs or say 90/180 man SNGs too?

Regards
      Carl
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      I always preferred playing cash games, with 1 day allocated to tourneys, using the rule 1 cash game BI for tourneys for every 2.5k hands played in cash. This way you can play bigger tourneys on a smaller bankroll. Sure it can erode your monthly earnings a bit, but if you hit a big score it can boost you upwards a tone.

But to answer your direct question it depends on field size. If it's frequently like 200-300 runners then having 250BI's is ok. If it's like 1k-2k runners (like most on poker stars are), thenhis is all based don recommendations of having 200BI for 180seat SnG's...
    • boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for answering. :)

Honestly I haven't planned on playing anything specific; I'd just like to start playing MTTs... it seems that they're much more profitable than cash games (obviously, I might be mistaken).

At least they seem to be more profitable than FR Cash Games, specially on the lower limits. :f_grin:
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by boozaf

Honestly I haven't planned on playing anything specific; I'd just like to start playing MTTs... it seems that they're much more profitable than cash games (obviously, I might be mistaken).

At least they seem to be more profitable than FR Cash Games, specially on the lower limits. :f_grin:
      What are you basing this on?
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyjm

+1 I agree.

I wouldn't say MTTs are more profitable than micro stakes cash games.
      First of all, you have very different strategies and different mindsets are required. Micro cash games are very profitable, because you can find the worst recreative players there. You can find soft Mtts if you play small buy ins too, but you have to be well prepared and very confident in what you are doing, primarily, variance is much larger with MTTs, for example, one single hand in MTT can ruin hours of hard work(you are gonna be kicked of the tourney a lot of times, even when you are playing great).

I am most of a cash game player but i play some tournaments (not enough to have a good sample size) an if you choose to play Mtts i would recommend: post your hands and doubts in the forum, good bankroll management (very important, im serious ahaha), and a lot of PATIENCE. Never tilt.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by progPoquer

Micro cash games are very profitable, because you can find the worst recreative players there.
      IMO large field mtts are full of the softest players around right up to the $100 games its just FULL of bad players. Just the variance sucks so hard. Also the most profitable game is dependant on the person if mtts are going to motivate OP to study harder and get better and play more then they will be loads more profitable than playing a game you may get bored of
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      I think that's the point. Are you going to choose the game you like most or are you going to choose the game which you think is more profitable??

Its difficult to say what is the most profitable choice, because that depends on how good player you are at one type of game.

This game is a game of long run, so i think you have to choose the game you like most, and become the better player you can be. If you do it right, you are going to make profit in the long run, whatever the game it is mtt, csh, omaha or whatever.
    • boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze

I know a few guys with very little knowledge that are doing pretty well playing tournaments; I doubt they would do that well in cash games.

Originally posted by progPoquer
      ... post your hands and doubts in the forum, good bankroll management (very important, im serious ahaha), and a lot of PATIENCE. Never tilt.
      Of course never tilting is important at any game, but in tournaments this is much less important than in cash games. I remember Phil Ivey saying that this is the reason why players like Phil Helmuth don't do well in cash games. It makes a lot of sense.

Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Also the most profitable game is dependant on the person if mtts are going to motivate OP to study harder and get better and play more then they will be loads more profitable than playing a game you may get bored of
      Yes, there's that too. I've been playing solely cash games for the last 6 months; I believe they are a much better foundation than if I'd started out poker playing tournaments. Cash games are pretty much like hard work: you have to grind, you can't tilt and every single mistake cost you penny. I honestly prefer the idea of playing tournaments; seems a lot funnier and enjoyable. :D

Its difficult to say what is the most profitable choice, because that depends on how good player you are at one type of game.

This game is a game of long run, so i think you have to choose the game you like most, and become the better player you can be. If you do it right, you are going to make profit in the long run, whatever the game it is mtt, csh, omaha or whatever.
      You're absolutely right. :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I think that's the point. Are you going to choose the game you like most or are you going to choose the game which you think is more profitable??

yeah but my point is that whichever game you choose will only be profitable if you want to play it if you have the urge and the drive to want to get better at it. Thats why micro NLHE cash game is not profitable for me because i find it soooo boring and have no motivation to get better at it i must have played 500k hads+ overall and i probably barely break even but am showing a nice profit in PLO because i think its fun it keeps me interested and i want to learn more about it. The same reason we have professional SnG players and mtt players. If cash was more profitable for everyone wouldnt all pros be cash players?

Basically i think that the game you enjoy most and the one thats most profitable are the same thing
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      yeah, we are saying the same thing with different words..
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      yeah, we are saying the same thing with different words..
      Ahh i see my mistake :D :f_thumbsup: