[NL2-NL10] Dominated A9?

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $6.13 (306.5 bb)
      CO: $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $8.73 (436.5 bb)
      SB: $5.79 (289.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      UTG: $4.16 (208 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A 9
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.04, 2 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.18, MP calls $0.14, SB calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.54) 2 7 A (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.36, MP calls $0.36, SB folds

Turn: ($1.26) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1, Hero folds

Horrible, horrible, horrible hand :) I regretted that I decided to squeeze at all.

Turn: he called the flop with something, right? it's either FD or an Ace. I decided to check. I would assume that most FD would just check behind. However he bets, and bets a lot.

Apparently he had an ace. Then I started to think, where am I against an ace? I quickly figured out that I'm in a deep asshole, because I beat only A6, A5, A4, and A3. These hands, by the way, could check behind as well.

On the other hand, I'm dominated/beaten by A2, A7, A8, AT, AJ, AQ, AK, and we split with A9.

How can avoid such situations?

And, as played, is the fold good?

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I prefer folding preflop.

On the flop what's the reason for the bet here? Do you expect to get called by worse here and what's your plan for the later streets?
      I actually prefer check/folding here 3way with TP no kicker.

As played, I like check/folding the turn.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Thanks, Plamen.

True. Betting was a mistake on the flop.

But why do we check/fold? I mean, what's the point of raising preflop, when if we hit our ace, we give up :)
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      So then, your 3bet preflop is for value?

Overall, I think that when we 3bet A9o against two opponents is as a bluff rather than value.

So, being 3way on the flop, with TPNK, we will have a hard time extracting value from worse, but then we can easily pay off a better hand, and the chance of one of them having a better ace is high.

Overall, I prefer to just give up on the flop and not invest more money, where I'm not sure how to play on the turn.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kymupa
      So then, your 3bet preflop is for value?
      Not exactly for value...but then, if we give up on ace board, we could have squeezed just with any two and give up as well :)

Anyway, it doesn't change much.

What I was going to ask is whether we would c-bet in one opponent.

We still can't make better hands fold, but there are some pockets and draws that might pay us a street or two.

So in one opponent it would be a value c-bet, yup? With intention to barrel most turn cards and re-evaluate the river, if any.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, it's not exactly true that we could just do it with any two - with A9 we have some blockers and as well have better equity.

So if we were against one opponent then I wouldn't mind betting since I do think it will show profit even if we just give up on the turn.
      Another option we can consider here is checking and planning to call a bet in order to let him bet his weaker hands, but this will lead to us having a hard time playing the turn, so I'd just bet.

Also, if you bet the turn, you could go for a turn bet on some cards for value against FD and probably some weaker Ax or some stubborn PPs.