[NL2-NL10] C-betting (again)

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $6.40 (320 bb)
      BB: $2 (100 bb)
      UTG: $8.70 (435 bb)
      MP: $5.84 (292 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $5.32 (266 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BTN folds, SB calls $0.07, BB folds

Flop: ($0.18) 5 4 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.18) J (2 players)
      SB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

River: ($0.38) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.18, SB calls $0.18

Sorry, Bogdan (or Plamen, or mbml), you must be sick of my c-bet hands :f_biggrin: Even I'm sick of them, but apparently it doesn't stick in my head :f_frown:

The villain is unknown. Is it a drawy board? Yes, it's very coordinated, but less coordinated than 789, right? So is it like...marginal board?

Do I cbet on such boards against unknown cold-callers? I didn't. Another reason why I didn't is because I cannot represent that whole lot as well, apart from maybe A2.

Turn: I should have 3-betted for value/protection, right? It got very drawy.

River: Thin value bet? I didn't make it big.

Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

It's allright, we are glad to judge your hands, and in fact cbetting is important part of your game and understanding when to do it/not to do it is a vital thing.

So, yeah we can hardly hit anything on this board, but then our opponnet can't hit too, right?
      Are there any better hands that would fold - I think Ax could find a fold out of position especially if the villain is playing pretty straight forward.
      Are there any worse hands to call - well, I doubt that, probably some straight draws, but then we are just happy to take down the pot right here.
      So, if we cbet, what is our plan for the turn? I'm definitely betting some turn cards, such as J/Q/K/A/2 and probably T.

So overall, I think cbetting here will show profit.

On the turn you could consider raising here for value.

As played, you could go for something like $0.25-$0.26 on the river in my opinion.

Is there anything that left misunderstood?

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Great.

It's really difficult for me to switch. In basic/bronze sections we learn just some templates: this board is good, and this one is not. If A happens, do B, if C happens, do D.

Although now I understand why it is good, why it is not, and when we can make exceptions, it's still hard for me to overcome my ABC play and analyze c-betting deeply.

I'm doing my best though :)

So, a question about river:
      As played, you could go for something like $0.25-$0.26 on the river in my opinion.

I just disliked the fact that straight for 56 and 66 came here. It both decreases my showdown equity, and increases my fold equity from weaker hands (which is a bad thing in our case).

Given that standard river bet sizing is 1/2 the pot, I didn't see any reasons to make it bigger in this case.

Why would you make it bigger?

Thanks.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hey again,

Templates are a good thing to get started and I believe those templates helped a lot of people, but in order to win in this game you must do more - you must understand. So this is why we are trying to ask questions and give you tasks to do.

The reason for the bigger bet is simple - we want MORE value.
      Looking at this, he is probably either folding or calling. So if he is going to fold, he'd probably fold to any bet size, and he's probably going to call a reasonable bet.
      So, if you just add a couple of BBs in this situation I believe there won't be much difference in his calling range (if there is any at all) but this would significantly boost up our WR if we apply this to most of the situations.

Best,
      Plamen