[NL20-NL50] NL50 FR - JJ on BB

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP2: $52.27 (104.5 bb)
      MP3: $39.62 (79.2 bb)
      CO: $52.13 (104.3 bb)
      BTN: $60.66 (121.3 bb)
      SB: $105.44 (210.9 bb)
      Hero (BB): $68.56 (137.1 bb)
      UTG+1: $50 (100 bb)
      UTG+2: $48.50 (97 bb)
      MP1: $59.51 (119 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J J
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $1, 4 folds, Hero raises to $3.25, MP2 calls $2.25

Flop: ($6.75) 9 T 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.27, MP2 calls $4.27

Turn: ($15.29) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $5, Hero calls $5

River: ($25.29) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks

Results:
      $25.29 pot ($1.39 rake)
      Final Board: 9 T 9 6 2
      MP2 showed T A and lost (-$12.52 net)
      Hero showed J J and won $23.90 ($11.38 net)

Stats: VPIP: 54, PFR: 26, 3B: 7, AF: 0,9, Hands: 85

3Bet for value, standard CBet, a little suprised of his call but it's not the first time I see him betting IP on missed turn cbet, so I decided to give it a shot to give him a chance to bluff and mostly to prevent him to raise me, I did want to see the showdown.
      Turned out well but I don't really think that was a good play from me, especially given his low AF.
      What do you think?
      Did I just get scared of the ugly connected turn?
  • 4 replies
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      I'd 3bet bigger preflop being oop, at least to 4$, maybe even to 4,5$, he is a fish, so probably calls anyway.

Postflop turn is not the best card in the world, but it's not the worst one either, and as he is passive, I'd bet again, cause I wouldnt expect him to bluff/semibluff raise me too often, but could definitely call with worse. Plus I dont want to give him a free card, and there are bad cards for us on the river (any /Q/K/A/7/8), which could help him or at least kill the action.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pcfmcc02
      I'd 3bet bigger preflop being oop, at least to 4$, maybe even to 4,5$, he is a fish, so probably calls anyway.

Postflop turn is not the best card in the world, but it's not the worst one either, and as he is passive, I'd bet again, cause I wouldnt expect him to bluff/semibluff raise me too often, but could definitely call with worse. Plus I dont want to give him a free card, and there are bad cards for us on the river (any /Q/K/A/7/8), which could help him or at least kill the action.
      ^THAT SO MUCH!!

Don't be scared of losing the hand! It's a huge leak! Don't be afraid of anything and just make the correct decision at each point considering your opponents range. If you bet and get raised on the turn it's again a very easy decision.

Don't get me wrong, checking there can be good but your reasoning is wrong. As it happens, I still think betting here is a lot better to get value from Tx 88, 77 now because rivers are bad for such hands quite often or they make your hand worse than them.

Value bet the turn and play river depending on what it comes. You can probably value bet if it's a blank and check/fold on bad river. Keep in mind that when you bet and expect to get raised by a flush on the turn for example, once you just get a call, he doesn't have a made flush almost ever anymore.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Originally posted by pcfmcc02

^THAT SO MUCH!!

Don't be scared of losing the hand! It's a huge leak! Don't be afraid of anything and just make the correct decision at each point considering your opponents range. If you bet and get raised on the turn it's again a very easy decision.

Don't get me wrong, checking there can be good but your reasoning is wrong. As it happens, I still think betting here is a lot better to get value from Tx 88, 77 now because rivers are bad for such hands quite often or they make your hand worse than them.

Value bet the turn and play river depending on what it comes. You can probably value bet if it's a blank and check/fold on bad river. Keep in mind that when you bet and expect to get raised by a flush on the turn for example, once you just get a call, he doesn't have a made flush almost ever anymore.

Btw how can you say that once I get just a call he doesn't have a made flush?
      I lost count of the times they slowplayed me like that (that's probably why now I have these stupid leaks of fear).
      Do they really raise when they get it? They just wait for the river in my experience.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      In my experience, they raise turn go not scare off the overpair on some bad rivers. What you have to always consider is ranges. He won't have all flush combos when he calls, he will raise some on the turn. He could call some but that 'some' already changes his range.