[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH ff 66 failed bluffcatch

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      was this a really bad river call? same 21/19 villain as the last hand i posted. on the flop i expect him to cbet all made hands pretty much and lots of FDs. ott it really looks like he's shutting down once he checks back but i decided i probably have the best hand on the river but also that he never folds a better hand so i decided to check. once he bet the river i just dont think he has Ax or the flush so i really don't know if this is a bad spot to bluffcatch..

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $16.38 (163.8 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      CO: $10.83 (108.3 bb)
      MP: $9.33 (93.3 bb)
      UTG: $47.81 (478.1 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6 6
      UTG raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($0.70) T 5 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks

Turn: ($0.70) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks

River: ($0.70) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.33, Hero calls $0.33

Results:
      $1.36 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: T 5 A A 9
      Hero mucked 6 6 and lost (-$0.63 net)
      UTG showed Q Q and won $1.30 ($0.67 net)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: What hands can check back flop and possible turn? It's almost always a Tx, JJ, QQ, KK type hand (from people like him) or some hands he wants to give up on. Considering he is UTG his range is stronger so not many random hands that would check back the flop.

With that being said the river should be a ck/fold or ck/raise because villain could valuebet thin a weaker made hand that still beats us because we've checked 3 streets (so we most likely have a weak pair).

I think if we ck/raise this river villain has no way of calling our bet because we could still be slowplaying a hand like Ax or even have a flush.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      I think if we ck/raise this river villain has no way of calling our bet because we could still be slowplaying a hand like Ax or even have a flush.
      was thinking about this! but i actually thought i had the best hand. although after your point about his EP range being really strong i agree now.

also, is it not super obvious what we are doing? we are weak here hence our line down to the river so can he not bluffcatch with his QQ hands? i get the point that technically he can't call.. but then surely because our line doesn't make sense as value he might bluffcatch..
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      was thinking about this! but i actually thought i had the best hand. although after your point about his EP range being really strong i agree now.

also, is it not super obvious what we are doing? we are weak here hence our line down to the river so can he not bluffcatch with his QQ hands? i get the point that technically he can't call.. but then surely because our line doesn't make sense as value he might bluffcatch..
      Yes, chances are villain will call every now and then but not necessarly because he is a hand reader (which is what you imply above) but rather because he "likes" his hand.