Help with math

• mildseven88
      mildseven88
      Bronze
      I'm currently reading Collin Moshman Math of poker. Since I'm not good with math, could anybody help me with this pot odds example he wrote?

It said an opponent bet $7 into a pot of $10, and you want to raise and offer him 2:1 odds. and 3:1 odds.

I don't really understand the calculation behind, if we were to call the pot will become $24. so to make 2:1 we need to make a pot size raised of $24 on top of the $7 call, thus we would raise to $31. What's the calculation behind this? I mean do we raise $24 or $31?
  • 4 replies
    • Yoyoyh
      Yoyoyh
      Bronze
      It is simple
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      It comes down to grammar.
      You should be 'raising $24 more' or 'raising to $31'.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mildseven88
      I'm currently reading Collin Moshman Math of poker. Since I'm not good with math, could anybody help me with this pot odds example he wrote?

It said an opponent bet $7 into a pot of $10, and you want to raise and offer him 2:1 odds. and 3:1 odds.

I don't really understand the calculation behind, if we were to call the pot will become $24. so to make 2:1 we need to make a pot size raised of $24 on top of the $7 call, thus we would raise to $31. What's the calculation behind this? I mean do we raise $24 or $31?
      The calculation behind it is 24+7=31 =)

You raise to $31 because he already has put in 7. This means he has to put in $24 to call at a pot of $48 which is exactly 2:1 odds. So you are raising a $7 bet by $24 to $31, the grammar point is as Phoenix already says.
    • mildseven88
      mildseven88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      Originally posted by mildseven88

The calculation behind it is 24+7=31 =)

You raise to $31 because he already has put in 7. This means he has to put in $24 to call at a pot of $48 which is exactly 2:1 odds. So you are raising a $7 bet by $24 to $31, the grammar point is as Phoenix already says.
      Thanks now I get it... :)