HM 2 tournament results

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Can somebody help me with this ? In the tournament results section (Holdem Manager 2) the "net winnings" column shows -73$ and the "$EV" column shows +181$ . Well, what does the "$EV" really represent? I know it cannot calculate the potential winnings like in a cash game. So what does it actually mean ?
  • 5 replies
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1212/What+is+EV%3F+%28Expected+Value%29
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      yes I know what EV is, but i can't see how could this software calculate my EV$ for a tournament. Does it suggest that by playing like that I should be winning on average what the EV$ column shows ?
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      I'm not an EV expert so i can only give you another standard reply:

**CASH EV**

What EV can do / how it can be used:
      Any allin situation, before the river, where a player has at least one "out" results in a EV $ Diff.
      $Won + EV $ Diff = $USD EV
      (AA vs KK is the most fun example... AK vs QQ is the most common "coinflip")

The "problem" what some people don't understand:
      A: If a player has 0 outs, or
      B: the allin situation takes place on the river there is NO EV DIFFERENCE.
      C: If a shortstack goes allin preflop, and is called by two bigstacks. And the two bigstacks continue to bet on the flop, turn or river, this situation is treated as situation B. (EV = 0)
      Fozzy AHK: "You can't calculate all-in equity if you don't know the hands you are up against."
      D: If you commit 80% of your stack with the best hand, but your last 20% goes allin with the worst hand, the $EV Difference will be calculated by your entire stack.

Why "EV by street" (which people who often see situation D want) is a bad thing:
      Best explanation here - http://forums.holdemmanager.c...han the actual buyin, or positive and a larger number than the actual first price money.
      You have some extreme situations (often in Double or Nothing and in SUPER TURBO SNGs)

Extreme examples:
      $169 buyin SUPER TURBO, $Won = $720 (1th place)---> $EV Won = -$196 (a negative value, that is higher than the actual buyin)
      $5.20 buyin DoN, $Won = $10---> $EV Won = $11.35 (more than you can actually win)

So EV becomes quite a meaningless number if you focus on one game (or in the "case King hits the river" AA vs KK example on that one hand)
      The more you play, the more accurate it gives a representation of your overall "luck".

And it doesn't take into account coolers. There was a program called set-o-meter (worked with PT2) where you could see how often you'd hit a set.
      EV doesn't take into account how often (and how much) you win/lose with an overpair against a set (and vice versa).

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-bugs/26732-pokerstars-double-nothing-ev-calculation-wrong.html
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      thank you, it makes it a little bit more clear.
      for example my stats for my last 20 SnGs are net winnings -88$ EV$ +188$
      does this show that i have been extremely unlucky or is it just a miscalculation in the middle ?
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      we had some bugs in some EV calculations so it may be both.