[NL2-NL10] "Don't bluff someone who doesn't fold"

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $2.72 (136 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $3.14 (157 bb)
      SB: $3.67 (183.5 bb)
      BB: $1.54 (77 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 Q
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.06, SB folds, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) 6 T 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.03, Hero raises to $0.16, BB calls $0.13

Turn: ($0.45) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BB calls $0.20

River: ($0.85) J (2 players)
      BB bets $0.05, Hero folds

The villain is:

vpip 54 | pfr 23 | cold-call 50 | wtsd 67 | hands 53

So my attempts to bluff him off are useless, and I should give up the flop to 3c raise?

(or even give up preflop, knowing who I'm stealing from?)

Still it takes me to watch (or play, if I'm unlucky) a hand or two with such a villain before I can make a note "a calling station" and adjust my game accordingly.

Anyway, such stats alone should be enough to fold a hand like mine, right?

By the way, as played, what about the river? :f_biggrin: Maybe queen high isn't that bad, given the odds? I doubt it though, so I folded.
  • 4 replies
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      You shouldn't steal loose against fish, and especially not overplay it postflop, and if you do steal loose against who folds you could size it 2x.

Postflop i would just muck it he is clearly a bad target and he will probably continue his minbetting on later streets.

If he checks you can try to bluff once halfpot on the flop agaisnt rather unknown fish then give up especially on this dry board, but just checking down is legit too, he clearly does not like the fold button.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Yeah, you are right.

I still think that 2 bb is too small, if someone is really tight, it won't change much since he folds almost every time, but he might be more suspicious if we steal that small.

I'm currently thinking about opening x2.5 from BU, x3 from CO, and x4 from UTG,MP,&SB.

What do you think about that?
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Well if they don't pay attention we in could always steal with small size and valueraise with big in theory, but they would catch on eventually.

I personally always isolate with pot size, open with potsize or 3bb and open 2bb on the button versus regulars where my preferred outcome is that they fold or bet 3bb/potsize against fish where i want them to call. I sometimes 2x-2,5x implied hands when i know they don't care about it, so i could save a little money.

Example 2 fish in the blinds and you have pocket 2s on the button, chance of them folding is low, chance of them folding postflop is low but if you hit you are making good money, and sometimes it gets checked down too.

I think you should play tight and use a standard size like pot or 4bb, you will learn the rest when you get comfortable with it.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think flop call should be better option to catch your 8 or Q.
      But mostly I would raise there for value and if I have air then give up on the turn. (if you bet turn then it should be at least 3/4 or 4/5 pot)

best regards,