[NL2-NL10] Floating a calling station?

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2.47 (123.5 bb)
      BB: $3.19 (159.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $5.28 (264 bb)
      MP: $3.83 (191.5 bb)
      CO: $1.41 (70.5 bb)
      BTN: $0.90 (45 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K A
      Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, SB calls $0.07, BB folds

Flop: ($0.18) 3 4 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.38) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.24, SB folds

The villain is a calling station you already know:

vpip 54 | pfr 23 | cold-call 50 | wtsd 67 | hands 53

But this time my hole cards look to shiny for me to fold them :f_biggrin:

Is floating a calling station viable? I mean, it turned out that I still have some FE. I would imagine it being an exception though.

I can reasonably assume that an ace or a king will win me the showdown as well, so I have a very strong draw. But what if I didn't catch a draw on the turn?

Should I fold such overpairs against a donk from a loose player?
  • 5 replies
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Loose not necessary means passive, and we can't fold here unless we expect 2p+ which is unlikely

We have about 25% with ak plus extra 4-5 % with bd flush and straight, plus implied.

I wouldn't bet the turn without info, it didn't change much if he was bluffing we beat it if he has something he will call. Just check it down.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      Loose not necessary means passive, and we can't fold here unless we expect 2p+ which is unlikely

We have about 25% with ak plus extra 4-5 % with bd flush and straight, plus implied.

I wouldn't bet the turn without info, it didn't change much if he was bluffing we beat it if he has something he will call. Just check it down.
      True, but he still might have some equity against me, and I don't mind taking the pot right here. Plus, I won't have any information on his hand strength when he bets the river, if I checked behind the turn.

I agree with the flop part, thanks for your comment.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

If you think he may lead out with air, then I think raising is better option than calling. You´re likely not going to call his turn bet, unless you improve and just calling seems always more weaker than raising. If you hit club or turn is J, Q, K, A, you can always bet turn to fold out his marginal one pair hands and I don´t think he would call you down after shoving strength pre-flop, flop, turn and possible river

best regards,
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Am I right thinking that generally we prefer not to call a donk HU, rather raise or fold?

With a made hand we raise, with a strong draw we raise, and now you are saying that with a weak draw we raise as well.

Can I ask you why is that? Please :f_cool:

As far as I understand, with weak draws we might raise only if we expect villain's range to miss this flop quite often and he is capable of bluffing, right?

In other cases (with made hands and strong draws) it's also important, but not as much. We still have some equity in the end.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Th334
      Am I right thinking that generally we prefer not to call a donk HU, rather raise or fold?

With a made hand we raise, with a strong draw we raise, and now you are saying that with a weak draw we raise as well.

Can I ask you why is that? Please :f_cool:

As far as I understand, with weak draws we might raise only if we expect villain's range to miss this flop quite often and he is capable of bluffing, right?

In other cases (with made hands and strong draws) it's also important, but not as much. We still have some equity in the end.
      it has turned out usually better and let us know where do we stand. If he b/c, then he likely has there pair that he does not fold flop, but by raising flop we get to represent still very strong hand and if we want then barrel on scare turn and river cards. If we just call, then it gives him green light both bet his air, draws and made hands and basically we´re giving up unless we improve on the turn.