Suggestions for short handed play?

• AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I've been running pretty well since joining PokerStrategy; I've been ITM in 10 out of 13 single table sng's (77%). However, I've placed 3rd in 7 of those 10, having been most of the times the dominant chip leader when 3-handed play starts. True, a couple of times I've lost against all odds (AA vs. A7, AK vs. KQ, et al) but it's not the result you expect to get when you have 2x-3x the stacks of the opponents time after time.

I've tried to let them bust each other, tried to bulldoze over both of them, but it's not working my way. Any articles, videos or forum threads you suggest?
  • 4 replies
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      BTW... I am a non-Intel Mac user so I can't use the ICM software...
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      check out the videosection, there are some good s&g videos by helamaalnick i think, including play after the bubble
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I re-read several of the articles and things have gotten better.

I had read several sources explaining how to play short-stacked, but never had found an easier way to play SS than what is taught in the strategy articles. I always began to worry when down under 10BB, and the M concept is kinda difficult to manage especially when multi-tabling.

Also I was having a lot of trouble getting all sorts of horrible beats since implementing Harrington's (I think) strategy of adjusting your opening raise size depending on position. For example, if you raise utg, raise 2.5bb, mid position, 3bb and late 3.5bb. With raising 4bb, the field is reduced significantly, and even more when there are several limpers. Today I had to raise my QQ's 9BB from the button. I had never thought of that before, as I thought it was an overbet. By the way, I got a huge beat in that hand, when a K-2 suited called me and rivered a flush. But that's exactly what you want to happen... fish looking for miracle cards.

Anyway, I had a chance to get my hands on a Windows computer and using the ICM trainer... very good tool... although had to guess what it said, since I can't speak german. After using it, I took six first places, eight seconds and three thirds out of 28 sng's. So the trainer has helped me a lot to get more 1st and 2nd places than before. I still get a little scared when pushing with suited connectors, but I'm getting the feel for it. If anyone knows about software like this for Macs I would greatly appreciate it.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AquamanBT
      Anyway, I had a chance to get my hands on a Windows computer and using the ICM trainer... very good tool... although had to guess what it said, since I can't speak german. After using it, I took six first places, eight seconds and three thirds out of 28 sng's. So the trainer has helped me a lot to get more 1st and 2nd places than before. I still get a little scared when pushing with suited connectors, but I'm getting the feel for it. If anyone knows about software like this for Macs I would greatly appreciate it.
      Uhh, you can use ICM in english, you just have to change the language. ICM trainer gives opponents a better FE than we have against most players, because donkeys go all-in tighter but call looser.