[NL20-NL50] NL50 FR - JJ on BB

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $50 (100 bb)
      SB: $72.93 (145.9 bb)
      Hero (BB): $97.25 (194.5 bb)
      MP: $57.27 (114.5 bb)
      CO: $41.09 (82.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J J
      MP raises to $1.50, 3 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.25) 9 4 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

Turn: ($3.25) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.31, MP calls $2.31

River: ($7.87) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.72, MP calls $3.72

Results:
      $15.31 pot ($0.84 rake)
      Final Board: 9 4 9 3 6
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$7.53 net)
      MP showed A A and won $14.47 ($6.94 net)

Stats: VPIP: 14, PFR: 6, 3B: 1, AF: 4,3, Hands: 4049

Used to be a FR but mass leave I guess eating time lol

Thoughts?
  • 7 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Bigger river bet imo.

How does a <1/2 pot bet change his calling, folding and raising range that you prefer that sizing insted of 4.5-5 here or bigger?
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Bigger river bet imo.

How does a <1/2 pot bet change his calling, folding and raising range that you prefer that sizing insted of 4.5-5 here or bigger?
      Because I know how he plays and that X flop C turn didn't sound good at all, started to think about some better hands than mine (including AA) and so I decided to go for a Blockbet/Fold to save money as I didn't feel ahead anymore vs him and that play.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AtrociousNightmare
      Bigger river bet imo.

Because I know how he plays and that X flop C turn didn't sound good at all, started to think about some better hands than mine (including AA) and so I decided to go for a Blockbet/Fold to save money as I didn't feel ahead anymore vs him and that play.
      If you don't think you are ahead why even bet? This whole idea of betting to not get raised/easily fold to a raise and fear of not losing the pot will cost you a lot of money in the long run. Ranges, equity, pot odds.. Not exact hands and pots won! :)
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Bigger river bet imo.

If you don't think you are ahead why even bet? This whole idea of betting to not get raised/easily fold to a raise and fear of not losing the pot will cost you a lot of money in the long run. Ranges, equity, pot odds.. Not exact hands and pots won! :)
      Well I wasn't certain, but I had like equal reasons to think of I'm ahead, and to think of I'm behind. Something along the line of I win vs 77,88,TT and I lose vs QQ-KK-AA.
      So I go for a block, which is kind of like a 50% decision in terms of size. (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about it so he can't exploit it)
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Just value bet first and then think of sizing. If you can't get value, block betting is probably not good. If you can value bet, betting small and calling it a block bet is probably not the best because people call more than you want, thus betting small is not that useful.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Just value bet first and then think of sizing. If you can't get value, block betting is probably not good. If you can value bet, betting small and calling it a block bet is probably not the best because people call more than you want, thus betting small is not that useful.
      Then when is an optimal use of the blockbet if not in these marginal cases?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Then when is an optimal use of the blockbet if not in these marginal cases?
      When your opponent's range is quite wide but has a good number of hands that beat you, you value bet thinly and use a small sizing. Here you usually fold to a raise as well.

If his range is weak but capped (no nuts in his range) you bet small to get called by worse but also call a raise because he cannot represent better.

In some cases you can bet big for thin value to make it seems like you have a way better hand or a bluff and get a light call from a bluffcatcher when you have a better bluffcatcher.