[NL2-NL10] nl10 AK TPTK the famous river donk

• DrDunne
      villain was nitty over a small sample, opened 4x and i didnt wanna 3bet/fold with AK so i just called. when he checked to me on this flop i expect him to never have Kx or FDs because they cbet. so when he x/c i was instantly suspicious and yeah i should have cbet a bit bigger..

given his play down to the river after checking as PFA, would you assume he's pretty strong with flopped sets or would you think he's weak with some PP as a bluffcatcher? i was just suspicious and planned to check behind on the river after he called 2 times, but then when he donks i hated life but called since it's hard for him to have much here and i guess he only needs a few bluff combos to make this profitable especially with pot odds.

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $16.65 (166.5 bb)
      BTN: $3.43 (34.3 bb)
      SB: $10.41 (104.1 bb)
      Hero (CO): $15.86 (158.6 bb)
      UTG: $19.30 (193 bb)
      BB: $3 (30 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A K
      UTG raises to $0.40, MP folds, Hero calls $0.40, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.95) 3 K 8 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.45, UTG calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.85) 7 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.20, UTG calls $1.20

River: ($4.25) J (2 players)
      UTG bets $2.02, Hero calls $2.02

$8.29 pot ($0.41 rake)
      Final Board: 3 K 8 7 J
      Hero mucked A K and lost (-$4.07 net)
      UTG showed J K and won $7.88 ($3.81 net)
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: This deep we can still 3-bet fold AKs here. I'd 3-bet for value because I'd expect him to call a LOT (since we are deep) but I'd fold to a 4-bet because I wouldn't expect him to stack off light or bluff.

As played I doubt he would ck/call sets. I would never expect villain to do that unless we've seen him do it before.

So his range is a weak Kx like KT/KJ maybe KQ, possibly 99-QQ and some weak FDs.

Because of that I'd bet both flop and turn larger. On the river he may block bet a Kx hand or bluff a missed draw but he is most likely betting KJ or missed draw. Since I doubt that he bets 1/2 pot with a missed draw we can find a fold.

Unless you have any reason to think that he can block bet 1/2 pot with weak pairs