[NL2-NL10] [NL2 SH] 88 ck/raise a donk

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $2.30 (115 bb)
      MP: $2.11 (105.5 bb)
      CO: $5.19 (259.5 bb)
      BTN: $2.18 (109 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2.24 (112 bb)
      BB: $4.35 (217.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8 8
      UTG raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.18) 7 6 K (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.02, UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.18, BB folds

Is check raise appropriate here? The donk is not from the preflop aggressor, and it just didn't make any sense to me. I assumed that we are ahead most of the time here. He is a fish, btw, fresh, Russian, freshwater fish. With a misspelled in two places nickname "dangerous". Yum! :s_biggrin:

We might get paid by draws, and we might make overcards fold, that is always nice. Even if overcards call, we have good equity against them.
  • 6 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop calling is fine of course.

I don't mind raising the flop but then what's the plan for the turn if we get called and a Q hits? What if a 2 hits?

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop calling is fine of course.

I don't mind raising the flop but then what's the plan for the turn if we get called and a Q hits? What if a 2 hits?

Best,
      Plamen

Hi Plamen,

That guy looked like a total calling station preflop, but his WTSD was actually pretty normal, so I would imagine that he can fold.

I actually don't know my plan :( Maybe you do?

I think I wouldn't bet on a high card, since his range is full of broadways. He had VPIP and cold-call like 70+, so even some random Q4 is in his range.

Apparently, on the flop he hit either a FD, or some bottom pair. I think he would bet more with a king. So maybe we can value-bet him again if the turn is low, to get some money from his draw, and check if something big hits.

I don't mind calling another 2 cents, even if a queen hits, but if he bets big, I would find a fold.

How far is that from a proper line? Sounds like some mess to me :)
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, it will be a tough spot on the turn if an overcard comes and considering that half the deck is will be overcards, and also there would be some other bad turn cards as well, we could even consider calling here and trying to get to SD as cheap as possible.

If we raise here, I think we probably have to bet both Q and 2 here, since I don't think he has too much Qx and since he is tending to be passive I don't think he'd try to bluff us on the river and I expect him to be quite honest so if he bets we are most likely to be beat.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh, true, we bet turn to see the free showdown, yup? Kinda pot control move.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Actually I don't think it's pot control.

In my opinion, it's value betting where we are sure we can just check the river and don't expect a worse hand to bet so basically, when we check we have quite an easy decision.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kymupa
      Actually I don't think it's pot control.

In my opinion, it's value betting where we are sure we can just check the river and don't expect a worse hand to bet so basically, when we check we have quite an easy decision.
      Yeah, true, it would keep the pot small if we were in position and played bet turn / check behind river.

Thanks.