UTG ($0.80)
      UTG+1 ($1.49)
      UTG+2 ($1)
      MP1 ($2.41)
      MP2 ($2)
      CO ($2.63)
      Hero ($2)

Dealt to Hero 6:club: A:club:

fold, fold, UTG+2 raises to $0.06, MP1 calls $0.06, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, MP1 calls $0.14

FLOP ($0.49) Q:club: 4:spade: 2:club:

MP1 bets $0.24, Hero raises to $1.80 (AI), MP1 calls $1.56

I was getting good pot odds to draw to my flush (3:1), but I assumed my implieds would drop to the floor when my flush completed, so I figured there was enough money in the pot to justify a shove.

During my history analysis I assigned him a range that gave me 41 % equity (QQ+,AQs,KQs,KcJc) My push represents an investment of 47 % of the pot (after rake). Does this mean this was an unprofitable move? Should I rather have just called when the pot was this small, how can I calculate this in the moment? Also, what do you think about the implied odds reduction on the turn when the flush hits? or the river?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey Painterman,

Preflop: looks fine

Flop: Shoving is fine if we have any fold equity. For example if villain dons a hand like TT and JJ and then folds to the shove.

I don't necessarily feel your implied odds are less if the flush hits in a 3bet pot. If villain has the range you gave him for the donk on the flop those hands will usually not fold.

However, without info and considering his small donk I don't mind shoving here because I'd expect some FE. The other option would be to call flop and shove turn if he checks or fold if he shoves.
    • painterman007
      painterman007
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS

I don't necessarily feel your implied odds are less if the flush hits in a 3bet pot. If villain has the range you gave him for the donk on the flop those hands will usually not fold.
      Because this is a 3bet pot you think the implied odds will be almost as strong?

However, without info and considering his small donk I don't mind shoving here because I'd expect some FE. The other option would be to call flop and shove turn if he checks or fold if he shoves.
      Shove the turn on all cards? even when hitting the flush?

the pot would be .97
      Effective stack: 1.56

Normal value/protection-bet would be slightly over half stack, and therefore a push?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Yes, because it is a 3-bet pot you usually have people call you lighter (for example TP calls a lot more in a 3-bet pot).

For some reason I though we have a PSB left on the turn however considering the awkward stack sizes we could still shove when we don't hit (a good hand reader will know that we can't possibly have too much value calling flop/shoving turn but I wouldn't expect someone at 2nl to hand read that well).

Otherwise you could take a free card if you don't think you have FE (on like a 2s for example).