This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 Speed JJ

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $9.62 (192.4 bb)
      UTG: $0.95 (19 bb)
      MP: $0 (0 bb)
      Hero (CO): $3.90 (78 bb)
      BTN: $0 (0 bb)
      SB: $4.97 (99.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J J
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.15, BTN calls $0.15, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.52) 9 4 9 (3 players)
      MP bets $0.35, Hero raises to $0.95, BTN calls $0.75, MP raises to $5.32, Hero folds

Turn: ($3.17) 2 (2 players)
      River: ($3.17) A (2 players)

Results:
      $3.17 pot ($0.15 rake)
      Final Board: 9 4 9 2 A
      MP showed K K and won $3.02 ($1.92 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$1.10 net)
      BTN showed 8 8 and lost (-$0.90 net)

I think something's screwed up w HM2 regarding Ipoker. Can't see Villain's stack sizes.

Both Villains are unknown

PF: I flat MP's OR as I don't see much value in 3-betting

Flop: On this flop, I decided to raise as I'm not comfortable calling 2-3 streets w an overpair like JJ not knowing where I stand. When I get 3-bet shove, I think it's an easy fold.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi,

Preflop: I'm going with the assumption that both villain have 100 BB here.

Based on that preflop looks fine

Postflop: Once we get shoved it's an easy fold but is there a lot of value in raising there? I think we isolate ourselves against the same goods hands that we are trying to avoid paying.

Considering it's 3 way villain may even fold TT sometimes and without info we don't really know how they play.
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

I know it's kinda mistake nowadays to raise to "find out info".

But I raised for only one reason because I don't want to just call further streets not knowing what's Villain up to.

For e.g, I have still have overpair on Turn non club. I'll be in a tough spot now, not knowing if I should throw my hand away or call and evaluate on River. And if I call, what if it's another blank and I still have overpair? If I call on Turn believing I'm ahead, then I assume I should call on River as well?

The only info I have is he's pretty strong since he bets into 2 other player OOP.

What do you think is the best line to take?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by cheekopeh
      Hi Bogdan,

I know it's kinda mistake nowadays to raise to "find out info".

But I raised for only one reason because I don't want to just call further streets not knowing what's Villain up to.

For e.g, I have still have overpair on Turn non club. I'll be in a tough spot now, not knowing if I should throw my hand away or call and evaluate on River. And if I call, what if it's another blank and I still have overpair? If I call on Turn believing I'm ahead, then I assume I should call on River as well?

The only info I have is he's pretty strong since he bets into 2 other player OOP.

What do you think is the best line to take?
      The second to last line is important:

"The only info I have is he's pretty strong since he bets into 2 other player OOP."

So if the turn is a blank and he bets again what can his range be? Can you expect a somewhat unknown villain to bet much worse?

If we raise there for info what info are we gaining from villain? We have no information on him so does a raise mean strength? What if he just min raises? Does a call mean weakness?