Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 7
      MP raises to $1.50, CO folds, Hero raises to $4.50, 2 folds, MP calls $3

Flop: ($9.75) T J 4 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $5, MP calls $5

Turn: ($19.75) A (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $10, MP raises to $24, Hero folds

Anon table.

MP played 25/25 after 12 hands.

Just ch/fold flop? 9//broadways(?) are good for barreling, on the other side this board could hit his range quite well (AJ/AQ/KQ/JJ/TT/etc)...
      So as I look at it now, rather ch/fold.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Gutshot + backdoor flush is a cbet imo.

Yes, the board sort of hits his range but you don't cbet often there either. On the turn you still rep JJ, AA, AK, AJ, AK, KQ so definitely barrel against KJ, QJ, T9, etc. When he raises he tells you he has a strong hand that wants stacks in vs AK imo. Obviously you fold your gutshot.

Given the more coordinated turn you might want to bet 11.50-12 instead of 10. If you have a value hand and he has a bluffcatcher it gives him better odds for river and you probably get a bit more FE against a hand such as QJ, T9.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Vs someone who is possibly a bad player (no sample), can't we just give up OTT since he can def call QJ/KJ here?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You kinda have to bet one or three here. Two barrels doesn't acheive that much since KJ, QJ indeed is tempted to call once more so you make him fold T9, QT, KT usually, maybe 88, 99. I think second barrel should be slightly +EV on average but I think you maximize EV when you shove river against your opponent's whole range.

I forgot to mention that initially because when we got raised it was an easy fold. Getting raised is one of the reasons 3 barrels work here: people call a medium to good capped range but raise all strong hands which make up too much of a range that COULD call down, thus his calling down range weakens.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      You kinda have to bet one or three here. Two barrels doesn't acheive that much since KJ, QJ indeed is tempted to call once more so you make him fold T9, QT, KT usually, maybe 88, 99. I think second barrel should be slightly +EV on average but I think you maximize EV when you shove river against your opponent's whole range.

I forgot to mention that initially because when we got raised it was an easy fold. Getting raised is one of the reasons 3 barrels work here: people call a medium to good capped range but raise all strong hands which make up too much of a range that COULD call down, thus his calling down range weakens.
      Yeah I see indeed some merits in tripple barreling but don't you avoid it vs oppo's we don't know supergood? It's possible he calls down AQ...

Why do you give him that many weak hands (KT, 9T, QT) in his call3betoop range? :P
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think he has the suited versions of those quite often. Plus, my main argument is that he is not good enough to check/call KQ, AT, AJ or anything like that so his range becomes AQ at best calling against a range of bluffs, AQ and nuts. Our range >> his range so I'm not too worried when bluffing. If I get called by worse than I expect, I readjust my range but until then I still barrel if I started betting and this runout comes.