3 folds, BTN raises to $1, SB folds, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.25) 3 2 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.50, Hero raises to $5, BTN calls $3.50

Turn: ($12.25) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8, BTN calls $8

River: ($28.25) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $20, BTN folds

Anon table.

BTN played 21/16 after 95 hands, wtsd 18 so far.

I wanted to make him fold middle pairs like 66/88/99, and maybe some A:hX flushdraws on the river. I rep quite narrow though (77/33/22)...
      But I had the feeling that he is the weaker type, who doesnt have the guts to herocall when sees a big bet.
  • 14 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You basically rep nothing and I think he folded air on the river, maybe 53 because you can turn A3, A4 into a bluff sometimes (although hard to find the right opponent to do it against). I think your hand will play well as a check/call on flop as well. You get barreled when you hit and you can bluff rivers when he checks turn.

That said, I don't understand your last statement. If you had the feeling he is capable of folding, why are you posting the hand? What are your doubts? You don't have any solid info on his tendencies, not that you've shared here anyway and we don't have any feeling about the villain. If you are thinking about river specifically, nobody can really help. The only advice you can get is one of general gameplan at NL50 with your hand on all streets like I gave above.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Why is hero not repping anything? He can have any set?

Villain's range is capped so why not shove river?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I don't think villain's range is capped and even a capped range is not bad here. He can play all the way up to AA this way until the river. Any set makes for 9 value combinations. That's not much at all.

If you do try to bluff villain here it's to try and exploit postflop nittiness which I haven't encountered that much. On average, people call more than they should and unfortunately that means they call waaaay more than you want when you bluff. The only times I'm very sure of bluffing is when villain's range is very air heavy.. I don't insist on making people fold a made hand.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      I like it, we can rep more than just sets here, I would def be raising here with overpairs for value. I think most people that have a leading game at these stakes are probably leading stuff like 55/66/88/99 because they are too scared to c/c with them or c/r as a bluff, with that being if he is not too of a much station then bluffing here on blank J and Q is fine.

And if he calls it's not the end of the world we just get better reads on his thought process and can exploit him accordingly later. Also I just noticed the fact that his WTSD is only 18 is HUGEEEE here it encourages me to bluff here even more. My strat in general is to just keep bluffing in this spot until someone gives me a reason not to.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I think your hand will play well as a check/call on flop as well. You get barreled when you hit and you can bluff rivers when he checks turn.
      This is a good advise I think, thanks!

Check/raise Ahi flushes is also a default line right?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I think your hand will play well as a check/call on flop as well. You get barreled when you hit and you can bluff rivers when he checks turn.
      This is a good advise I think, thanks!

Check/raise Ahi flushes is also a default line right?
      Yeah, A high might get a bit more value (called by worse draws and somewhat behind pairs equity wise) plus depending on your A high, hitting Ax has some reverse implied odds. AJ for example is quite good to just call again because if he barrels Jx or Ax you have an above average pair of that rank (same with KT) but if you have A6h and he bets on an Ace you don;t beat his aces, just his bluffs.

LE: You can actually check/call some flushdraws and check/raise some. It's not a rule to check/raise but you have to consider how you make money later with them. :)
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Going to be lame and say it depends whether you should c/r A high flush draws here as default or not. In general I would say you shouldn't have 22/33 in your range here and rather 3bet or fold pre so you are repping exactly 77.

In general I think it's way better to x/c here with A high and K high fds in order to protect your x/c range here, reason being is that people will tend to barrel hearts, K, A on the turn, so if we always c/r here when we have A high fds here on the flop then we cant have them on the turn and if anyone is observant at all and sees you do that then you get owned. As far as my plan on the turn, I think x/c again is ok, I think x/r is also ok depending on villains river tendencies. I would balance this by playing my sets this way. And as far c/ring flop here I would much rather do it with like 89hh, QhTx, stuff that I don't want to x/c with. This way both of your ranges are protected and by x/c here with a stronger range you can get 2 streets of bluffs from villain.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by serverm07
      Going to be lame and say it depends whether you should c/r A high flush draws here as default or not. In general I would say you shouldn't have 22/33 in your range here and rather 3bet or fold pre so you are repping exactly 77.

In general I think it's way better to x/c here with A high and K high fds in order to protect your x/c range here, reason being is that people will tend to barrel hearts, K, A on the turn, so if we always c/r here when we have A high fds here on the flop then we cant have them on the turn and if anyone is observant at all and sees you do that then you get owned. As far as my plan on the turn, I think x/c again is ok, I think x/r is also ok depending on villains river tendencies. I would balance this by playing my sets this way. And as far c/ring flop here I would much rather do it with like 89hh, QhTx, stuff that I don't want to x/c with. This way both of your ranges are protected and by x/c here with a stronger range you can get 2 streets of bluffs from villain.
      Very good explanation! :f_thumbsup:

It depends on our own range already, not just villain's. It's also dependant on how our range is perceived when taking all different actions.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Good job guys!

Improving :f_cool:
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      great keep improving.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      actually if you guys are interested at all I could probably make a video at 50nl while I'm messing around there. oh and if you guys tell me where to upload it to. let me know.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      I send you a friend request mate :) .

Do you also play NL50 on Stars? Winrate so far?
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      I play mainly 200-400nl, have taken shots up to 10knl before on merge, that didn't go so well ran really bad etc. Right now I'm either going to get staked to play 200-400 or just deposit and play on my own or rebuild from 50nl. not sure what I'm going to do.