[NL2-NL10] Donkraised on river? QJ on QJT flop

• Fonyman
      I didn't know what to do here, because when I get raised like this I have no idea what the villian has and I think it's so painful to call simply because I don't know, next to that there is sooo much weird play so I feel like people are slowplaying a lot. But at this time I thought; He could have had a flushdraw and not hit it. He could be slowplaying KA or he could be very lucky on 66 - that's what I was thinking - one of those two - and it almost made me fold.

But then I thought: No he's not, it hit me kind of like purely instinct without reason. He might be semibluffing but I have my two pairs and it's stronger than what he has. Raising was out of the question because either he's better than me and he'll call, or he's not better and he'll fold

It's in exactly in these kinds of situation that my bankroll suffers. Sometimes i'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. Also in this case I am very confident in my two pairs, but as soon as he pushes at the end I loose all my confidence in my hand.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, Q.
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.9) Q, J, T (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, SB folds, BB calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.3) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.40, BB calls $1.40.

River: ($5.1) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $6.30, Hero calls $6.30.

Final Pot: $17.7.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, queens and jacks(Js Qd).
      BB shows high card ace(Ah 2d).

Hero wins with two pairs, queens and jacks(Js Qd).
  • 5 replies
    • serverm07
      Whenever you post hands, you should provide reads on villain. Go way bigger on the turn like 1.9 or 2$ so you are getting more value from worse 2 pair and one pair+str8 type hands. I can assure you he never has 55/66 here because he would probably never x/c this flop with them. He probably doesn't have AK because he would 3bet preflop, he would most likely c/r 89 on the flop and this line is just stupid to take with 89 and it's the easiest snap call on the river here because he thinks you probably only have one pair and is trying to make you fold it with an overbet without realizing he is not repping anything and is being a retard.
    • Fonyman
      Thanks for the quick answer. Had no reads on him though, basically just sat down.

So in general at these limits I should always expect people to check/raise or at least bet or raise before river if they have something. Unless of course there's a flush or straight completed.

Also a thing kind of related to this hand, when I'm in hands like this I tend to forget what has happened the earlier streets. And then I'm sitting there thinking; did he re-raise me preflop or what actually happened. I am concentrated whem I'm playing, but I'm wondering is there a special technique that regulars use, or does it just come naturally with practice?
    • serverm07
      how many tables are you playing? try to play only 4-6 so you can pay attention to what's going on. for me it's just natural to remember what happened. also you can turn on dealer chat and it tells you exactly what happened so you can click time bank and scroll up and read what happened.
    • Fonyman
      4 tables, I have a problem that if I play fewer than 4 tables I get too action-seeking and aggressive preflop >.<.

I'm looking through PartyPoker interface but I can't find any more options regarding dealer chat. As of now it's on Dealer Chat, but I only get this in the chatbox:

Dealer: ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealer: ** Dealing Flop ** [ Jh, 6d, Qh ]
      Dealer: ** Dealing Turn ** [ Qs ]
      Dealer: ** Dealing River ** [ 2h ]

So no details about the players actions

Edit: I found it now, turned on the stacking window. Works well
    • kymupa

Interesting spot.

Preflop raising is fine.

You could go for a bigger bet on the flop here.

On the turn I do prefer betting more.

River is tricky here.
      Lets think of what is his possible range here and what beats us in his range?
      First, we can exclude QQ-TT/AK from his range, given the preflop play, right?
      So, the only better hands that he could have are 98s/K9s in my opinion. On the other hand, he could have hands like QJ/QT/JT/5h6h with which he decided to go crazy, and of course a lot of busted draws.
      So overall, I think calling here is fine.