Free Christmas Coaching Outrageous Results (NL Cash Games)

• Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Hello everyone.

I will introduce my self first. Most of you will probably not know, or even definitely won't know me, but I'm one micro-limit no-limit cash player here with not so active blog at the moment. But I am trying in increase my activity in the forums and try to communicate with as much people as I can, in order to help my self and other improve in this wonderful game of poker.

First of all I want to congratulate all winners. It's really nice that got the opportunity to be coached for free! :f_thumbsup: However I started this thread with no intention to talk about me, rather I wanted to express my thoughts on the Christmas Coaching Contest. After reading comment from one of the coaches that volunteered for this opportunity I was disgusted by such statement.

by imbahness

#8, first of all this is a volunteer thingy , none of us will get a cent or anything in return , nor from ps or the players , so i cannot see any reason why would anyone care about the status, we were free to choose between the applicants , Emanuel , cutegoldfish and I volunteered for micro players only , and i assume Pleno choose higher limit players to cover most of the limits.
      Hope this will clear out things that you were concerned about, it's just came down to luck, better luck next time

So was it so much worth of a luck then? So it was pointless to follow to the rules of the contest?

by source

How can I get a coaching session?

That's easy! Just post in the corresponding thread and state the game type and limit you would like to be coached for.

The more information your favourite coach knows about you, the higher your chances of being accepted.
      So basically this application had so much information given that it just blown away coaches mind and he had to pick? :f_biggrin:

Originally posted by kirezafirov
      Hi i'm from Macedonia. I currently playing NL10 6max and i'm trying to reach NL25.

I hope i will get this coaching.

Best Regards
      Kire Zafirov
      Or this...

Originally posted by nadichka
      Hi, my name is Nadia :f_biggrin: ,

I play nl20-50 6max
      I hope you take coaching, so I can improve my game and smash the villains. :s_evil:
      But guys like these that ACTUALLY spent their time in writing some useful stuff for the coach to know more the player, don't get the chance?

Originally posted by Thebridgedoc
      Hi there

My name's Alex, I'm 23 from Nottingham, England.

I'm a ZOOM NLHE player on Pokerstars - slowly solidifying into NL10 (having arrived from NL5). This is 6-max, by the way.

Poker wise
      My aim is to be playing a solid NL25 game at a positive win-rate and have fewer moments of stupidity.
      I play a pretty TAG game at the moment - with c-betting and 3betting being a bit higher than perhaps is profitable.

I found that an aggressive 21/19--VP/PFR is the way to beat NL5.
      And am enjoying a slightly tighter 18/16 for NL10. The key here is to play a TAG game and not chase losses.

Identifying my weaknesses. I already know i have a tendency to overplay overpairs and I think being sucked out on when I hold an over pair (e.g. holding QQ vs. 65o - they chase bottom pair and hit two pair on a later street while) is the thing that will tilt me currently. Though less so as I am keeping an eye on myself.

I really want to understand this game. Primarily, I tilt less than I ever have simply because I enjoy it so much. I really am convinced I can get my BB/100 much higher than the standard 5/100 that it's sat at for some time, just by understand people, bets and situations.

Personal wise
      I started playing little sit'n'gos and made my first deposit a week before black-friday. Much prefer cash games.

Might as well add a fact that will polarise people (using poker words already).
      I like puns. I like good food and am into wine. I originally played bridge before moving to poker, which means I can speak to old people.
      I also enjoy my music. So eclectic but love it all. In fact, send me some!
      Or...

Originally posted by AtrociousNightmare
      Current Game: NL50 FR
      Poker Room: Pokerstars.it

Experience Numbers:
      Career Starting Date: 15th of May 2012
      Deposit: Free 35€ from this website's quiz.
      Limits played: Following 25 BIs BR management rule, I played NL2, 5, 10, 25, and 271 hands in ZOOM just to try it out.
      Hands: 232.714
      Net Won: 1.239,51 €
      bb/100: 3,86
      Graph: http://i47.tinypic.com/2u791qd.png

Why am I playing:
      I'm willing to play poker to make a living out of it, as my job, 100% Professional +EV.

How much time I am playing:
      Around 8 hours a day.
      2~3 hours in the morning for theory (articles, analysis, videos),
      5 hours a day of practice.

Details:
      My absolutely obligatory goal is to reach a limit that would simulate the income of a monthly 2k€+ salary, and see if I want to go even further at said point (currently excited at the idea to reach the highest stakes that my mind can handle).

These months have been tough on me in terms of time sync with IRL events, therefore I'm behind in theory, but I'll catch up; starting from tomorrow I should have a more tranquil and steady time.
      I believe in myself and my capabilities, confident that if I will strictly apply my plans/schedule I will manage to reach satisfying income.

I really enjoy playing this sport, and the more I'm going through limits the more excited I am to play and improve, as the amount of mechanical straight forward play forced by lack of knowledge and loose passive fish decreases noticeably.

Poker so far is also helping me developing the auto-discipline that I was always lacking in terms of routines and the like. It is also helping me knowing myself in fields I didn't have an occasion to explore before, even though I was already a very self-aware person.

My motivation couldn't also be higher, as the sooner I get to my goal the sooner I'll get to live together with my soon-to-be wife (that currently lives in the US, we met online almost 3 years ago) in an independent reality that I'm really needing, out of this corrupted country.
      This also applies some pressure on me, but I've been excited in developing myself to turn the pressure in productive will and excitement.
      A thing to note, the first 2.5 months of my career my fiancee was living here in my house (until visa's expiration date) for the first time, therefore my schedule... well, let's say it wasn't that strict, lol.

Why am I applying:
      Despite the material provided by this wonderful website being of top-notch quality, I feel the lack of an individual study from a professional coach.
      I also feel that I have a leak somewhere that I'm not able to spot, that doesn't necessarily come from the lacking knowledge of the sport.
      What I'm hoping for is guided sessions with a coach.

Fun Fact:
      I knew poker thanks to one of my best friends, who told me the tales of a player (his friend, I knew him too) who recently became one of your professional coaches :D
      Starting from that day, I became closer to the idea, and eventually decided it would be my career.

Thank you in advance for the opportunity,
      your devoted Atrocious Nightmare
      And now lets see more of the applications that got picked.

Originally posted by Farmarchist
      My Application

Dear Coach/BM,

I'd really like to get some coaching and I hope I can convince you with my application!

I'm a very active member of PokerStrategy and post a lot of hands on the ENG handjudge forums (and also on the Dutch forum). I think this already shows that I'm willing to work on my game and always trying to learn more or improve in all areas of poker. I'm playing about 1.5 year now and since january I played for myself (I was staked till then).

I started by playing NL10 FR on 888poker and I improved quickly by heavily working on my game. At one point me and my staker stopped the staking and I started grinding on NL25FR PokerStars. After a downswing and a period of no volume I decided to play SH. I crushed NL10SH and when I moved up to NL25SH I got some coaching from Veriz. I kept improving and now I'm ready for NL50SH. This is my NL25SH graph:

And this is my playstyle at the moment:

Now, it's time for NL50 and I also want to be a good winner on that limit. I've taking a few shots on this limit already but pretty much failed and lost 10BI's. This is mainly about spew and thanks to mental game problems I guess. I think though that there are a lot more regulars on NL50 than on NL25, I've noticed that it's much tougher to win on NL50. That's why I'd like to get some coaching, to help me get settled at NL50 ShortHanded.

My ultimate goal in poker is to be a good winning reg at NL100SH+. I hope you can help me with accomplishing this! So I hope this ain't tl;dr :D

Resume:

• NLHE
      • Short Handed
      • 25c/50c
      • PokerStars

Thanks for reading and may the best man win :D . Please pick me though, I could really use it.

Farma
      Originally posted by DannyJQ
      Hello,

My name is Daniel and I'm 20 years old. Currently playing nl25SH and I'm about b/e for a bit more than 100k hands :baby: I had some ups and downs(manily downs lately X( ) and I feel like I'm back at square one. A private coaching with someone far more experienced than me would probably be very benificial and maybe I will get some good pointers about improving my game.

Looking forward to a nice session with any of the pros if I get picked :s_love:

Regards,
      DannyJQ
      Originally posted by Crokid
      Hi,
      I've been here for a while now and learned a lot but this is the next step I need..
      I would be overwhelmed to have a private coach to take my game on the next level.
      I need someone to give me insight into a higher level thinking and fixing my leaks.
      I was waiting for this opportunity because I want to evolve in poker.

Kind regards,
      Crokid
      Originally posted by THESHade
      Well hello there sir,

Let`s keep it short, time is money

Who am I?
      -eastern European student studying Ethical Hacking in UK
      -Used to play up to 200NL (BE there)
      -Plays 25NL FastVariantPoker BE ATM after a 6 month break (of not playing and a bit more of not studying ...)
      -Huge enthusiast of self-development and language learning

What I want?
      -Somebody who can help me transition to FastVariant poker or persuade me why should I play something else as a student
      -Somebody who can spot really old fundamental leaks and improve my fundamentals
      -Somebody that likes to analyze
      -Somebody who don`t mind a bit of laugh during the session

What can I give?
      -Cookies (Or some other cake :D ) I mean it :D I will bake it and send it to you :P
      -OR a place to stay in Scotland

SH
      Originally posted by liessens
      I keep it short and easy

I have crushed the 45mans over the last year with big breaks in between, but wanted something new. So I have started with hu cash. Started with 50NL overolled and moved this week all ready up to 100NL. I like to join weak regs quite a lot, not that I can get that big of winrate, but it is just fun. Only almost no reg at party plays me anymore :(

Why me?

I beat this games for sure, but I can make still make a lot of progress, since I am cash/hu newbie
      Originally posted by DecMate
      Hi, my name is Declan and i currently play NL50 shorthanded at party poker.

I post hands in the forums all the time, i only play 4-6 tables because i want to get better at the game. I'm proud to be at Nl50 because I've put effort in to get their and it feels good when you succeed.

I never cash out, moving up is more important to me. All my efforts go into poker.

It would be great to get an insite on how a professional plays and for them to give me advice is something i would deeply value, it would be an eye-opening experience! :f_love:
      How come these people got picked, they didn't even try spent some actual time in writing their applications? I don't really want to bash the winners, I really congratulate them once again, it's very nice for them that I GOT picked for this. I want to direct this thread to the volunteers. I believe a lot of people really want to know why it happened in some really weird way. I don't think an answer as - well I don't get anything out of this, so I pick randomly, isn't just enough to answer.

IF you volunteer for charity I think you have to approach it with some responsibility. If you really want to help people to improve, why don't you pick the ones that really need it? Help the ones in need, is the correct way to approach it in my opinion.

In the end I really want to congratulate maheepsangari, because he was the only of the winners (from Cash Games) who actually approached the contest in the way it was supposed to be and was picked, congratulations man! :f_grin:

Turns out it wasn't worth writing lots of information in your application as it was said in the statement I quoted above. It was enough to post. I play NL100k. Need coach. MOAH MONEY TO WINZ. LOL. KTHNX.

I don't even expect any reasonable answers from volunteers to be honest, because they will just relate to that it is voluntary thing so I don't care... blah blah blah... Or, it was random so better luck next time.

Because it really looks like that every winner at their limit got picked. Or, it was random so better luck next time.

Best Regards

Rihard
  • 12 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      If I was a coach I would just look at previous posts of the user, if he posts hands, does he have a blog and so on.
      As a coach I wouldn't waste my time trying to improve players that need the help the most. There is a reason why some players really struggle with the game and others are doing much better, I'm gonna go and try to polish the better players as I can see that they are working hard on their game and trying to improve., they will get the most value out of the coaching, and as a coach who is giving one away for free this really matters.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      In this regard you are right. Most of chosen ones had like 70 posts overall...
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      I don't think imbahness really said anything wrong, they are giving up their time so they do have a right to chose whoever they want. Don't know why your disgusted at that...

Do kind of agree with the rest. I applied for PLO coaching because I'm making that my main game so haven't read any of the nlhe applications. If it was me, like Krish said, I'd look at the ones who are most active (blogs, HE forums etc) and make a shortlist from that then use the post in the application thread to decide on who I'd like to coach. And it does seem unfair that ppl who make a one line application and don't blog or post in the HE forums would get chosen above others.

But again it is the coaches choice, maybe they know eachother from another language forum/skype group and want to help out a friend. Thats just the way it is unfortunately...

I would like to say congrats to maheepsangari as he's one person who I think deserves it. Always seen him floating around HE and coachings.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      I think if you would read some of the applications, you could understand why I am so disgusted by his comment. For some reason, no so active members with high status and poor application get the coaching and quite opposite applications don't. Doesn't make sense to me.

Also I think it is still unfair to leave the guys don't improve alone, just because they aren't active in the forums. Because some of them probably don't do it because they aren't confident enough, and maybe the coaching would guide them to do so, and build up some confidence. I think it is reasonable?
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Well it's a free gift, and the ones who are giving the gift are free to decide whom to give it. I don't know about other coaches reasonings, but I can say that my reasons were far from status level.

I understand that it might suck if you put a lot of effort to your application, and someone else gets chosen. Injustice.

It would ruin the whole thing if now every coach comes to here and tries to justify his/her picks and reasons. They were gifts, and as there is limited amount of them someone will be left without it.

No one said that writing a detailed and long application ensures the coaching. It just said that it the more information you give, the better chances you have to be picked. Which is true, cos only the coaches themselves knew the reasonings for picks. And I think every coach had their own reasonings.

For me, the applications had all the information I needed. It wouldn't have changed the situation if they would have been longer or more detailed.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      Well it's a free gift, and the ones who are giving the gift are free to decide whom to give it. I don't know about other coaches reasonings, but I can say that my reasons were far from status level.

I understand that it might suck if you put a lot of effort to your application, and someone else gets chosen. Injustice.

It would ruin the whole thing if now every coach comes to here and tries to justify his/her picks and reasons. They were gifts, and as there is limited amount of them someone will be left without it.

No one said that writing a detailed and long application ensures the coaching. It just said that it the more information you give, the better chances you have to be picked. Which is true, cos only the coaches themselves knew the reasonings for picks. And I think every coach had their own reasonings.

For me, the applications had all the information I needed. It wouldn't have changed the situation if they would have been longer or more detailed.
      So you think that an application like - Need coach. Crush limit. Need money. LOL. Is very suitable for a pick? Example:

Originally posted by nadichka
      Hi, my name is Nadia :f_biggrin: ,

I play nl20-50 6max
      I hope you take coaching, so I can improve my game and smash the villains. :s_evil:
      Application like this, looks more like - Oh, fuck I'll just post something and hope... However someone really wants it and doesn't get even considered probably.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey hey,

Bit of a tricky situation, understand ops stance and understand the coaches stance.

Generally perhaps the coah or whoever gives free coaching shouldn't make a controversial post on accordance to the guidelines we give hen but for imbahness he is a diamond and is obviously free to say whatever he likes.

I wouldn't like to censor or dictate to anybody about who they should or shouldn't coach. The thread (albeit very reasonable) and anything further from our side will likely result in less people taking part from the diamond/coaches end next year/time round and that would be a huge shame.

Furthermore I think all of the guys are involved and nobody would give free time just so they can troll/disappoint somebody.

Again I do completely understand where you are coming from OP it's just very unlikely that there will be a way to please you regarding this.

As a token of gesture and hopefully to satisfy you a little bit.. If you send me a screenshot of the last 100k hands set by position and then your top 20 bigges losing pots I will give you a full session review and guide to how I think you can improve moving forward to 2013.

Happy holidays.

Edit: send to my email. Patrick.leonard@hotmail.co.uk
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Sorry for any typos, was replying on my phone.
    • luca02
      luca02
      Bronze
      Nice gesture Pleno:) .
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey hey,

Bit of a tricky situation, understand ops stance and understand the coaches stance.

Generally perhaps the coah or whoever gives free coaching shouldn't make a controversial post on accordance to the guidelines we give hen but for imbahness he is a diamond and is obviously free to say whatever he likes.

I wouldn't like to censor or dictate to anybody about who they should or shouldn't coach. The thread (albeit very reasonable) and anything further from our side will likely result in less people taking part from the diamond/coaches end next year/time round and that would be a huge shame.

Furthermore I think all of the guys are involved and nobody would give free time just so they can troll/disappoint somebody.

Again I do completely understand where you are coming from OP it's just very unlikely that there will be a way to please you regarding this.

As a token of gesture and hopefully to satisfy you a little bit.. If you send me a screenshot of the last 100k hands set by position and then your top 20 bigges losing pots I will give you a full session review and guide to how I think you can improve moving forward to 2013.

Happy holidays.

Edit: send to my email. Patrick.leonard@hotmail.co.uk
      Wow! Thanks pleno for the reply. I am very pleased for the given opportunity.

Furthermore I still believe that other coaches when making their decision they should weight the things before making decisions as they do it at the poker tables.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      :)

Will be away from pc till after Xmas btw :)
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      In the end I really want to congratulate maheepsangari, because he was the only of the winners (from Cash Games) who actually approached the contest in the way it was supposed to be and was picked, congratulations man! :f_grin:
      Thanks. Glad to see pleno1 helping you out. Its a nice gesture. :)