Now it's Speed Poker - LAG Styleee !!!

• Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Who is Gentari?

EDIT: THIS BLOG SEEMS TO HAVE TURNED INTO A 45man MICRO TO THE STARS BLOG - SKIP TO PAGE 7 TO SEE THE FUTURE :)

EDIT: THIS BLOG SEEMS TO HAVE TURNED INTO A SPEED POKER BLOG - SKIP TO PAGE 10 TO SEE 5NL+ :)

My name is Neil and I am a 40 year old Dad living in England. I love poker and spend far too much time thinking about and playing it. I go by the nick name Gentari on lots of sites, but not on Poker770 as I must have used it ages ago on another Ipoker room.

I recently answered the SNG quiz and joined Poker770 with the free $$s (£6.20). So this blog will track my rise to Silver Status and beyond by never depositing (I may have to as I am being restricted to low buy in SNGs <$2 until I have deposited).

I also play on Stars and Party but Poker770 will be my guilty pleasure for as long as the free cash lasts, I really only joined to get some PS status points to watch the Silver+ videos.

I will be playing some cash, MTTs (often freerolls) and SNGs on there. The software is OK and I like the fish, pity they suck out too much :( . So far I have run awesome on cash and like a 3 legged cart horse on SNGs (check out the graphs below, bit big not sure how to resize, sry)

Cash Graph

SNG Graph

Blog Future...

I envisage updating here daily and telling tales of huge bluffs and great hero calls, but will probably just moan about how bad I am running. Anyway it will be fun to do exciting stuff like Hand Reviews and look at graphs along the way. I will update the following daily...

PS Status: (level and how many points until next level)
      Poker770 BR: (in £s as I am not converting it all the time)
      Mental Game: (this has been my major downfall since day 1)
  • 207 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey Neil!

Welcome to the Blogging section!

Wow, nice start to your cash game I see :D Keep that up! Hope to see you sporting some shiny silver some day soon!

Best of luck,
      Gary
    • Flushmaker89
      Flushmaker89
      Bronze
      Hi Neil =)

GL with your blog. What kind of sngs do you play? 9max or 6max?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Discovered, subscribed, and following ;)

p.s. as a forty year old English Dad, I know just the place for you. THE ZIMMERS!
      (I won't spoil the surprise for you, they'll track you down in no time)
    • SherlockHolmes2ez
      SherlockHolmes2ez
      Bronze
      Do your best! Motivation is everything man :D
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Thanks for the welcome guys.

I mainly play 6max Standards and Turbos on Stars and Party, but have played 9mans too. I think at Poker770 I will be playing the micro 6max and 9man (depending on traffic).

Cash has always been awful, I have a tendancy to triple barrel bluff fish and pay off river shoves. I am working on that as I feel a good cash game will benefit my SNGs.

I was heavily into hypers recently too, but am getting some coaching and trying to get my game right without the manic nature of the hyper structure.

I only feel 21 by the way :)

Football to watch now, then I will play a long session later on.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      PS Status: Bronze (45 points to Silver)
      Poker770 BR: £16.93
      Mental Game: A

I played ~280 6max cash hands and managed to find a fish sitting to my right :)

Typical no idea, possibly drunk guy 90/50/2.1 with 50% 3Bet, calling AI shoves with KJo. Top Pair any kicker was gold v this guy, I had to stay for a while as he kept reloading. :s_biggrin: Pity it was only 2nl :s_mad:

I also played a few $1 SNGs (6s, 10s, a 30 and a Double Up) I was pleased with how I played and managed to make some $$$s which was great, even though KK got busted on the bubble as did AQ v A7o but I did get a couple of nice suckouts so about even for the session on luck. This session got my Poker770 SNGs into profit although I am behind on MTTs as I played a few daily $ games with no cashes yet :)

SNG Graph (so far...)

I have enjoyed the session, from a mental game standpoint everything was excellent, never tilted at all & played my A game for most of the session. There were a few hands which would have upset me before but not at the moment. I have been working very hard on the Mental Game recently and can see the benefits.

If anyone knows how to combine cash and tourney results in HEM, please let me know.

Thanks for reading and good luck :)
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      PS Status: Bronze (45 points to Silver)
      Poker770 BR: £13.13

Happy Christmas everyone :)

Played ~200 cash hands but managed to stack off v a maniac and lost a few small pots too, -$3 on those.

I then played 15 SNGs of various sizes (traffic is woeful) and managed 6 2nd places, HU I ran poor but played fairly well I think. Cards just were not coming in the right spots and when I did get desperate the key flip never went my way, ended the session a couple of $s down.

I also downloaded the Pokerstrategy SideKick app, not exactly sure what the benefits are, so far I got a few kicks, but more annoyed that it takes my eye off games at crucial stages !!! I will see what the benefits are soon enough, I thought 1 click hand marking would be cool, perhaps it is in there, but for now I will hold judgement.

Mental Game: Again no worries, I am really happy that even when running below EV and getting it in ahead only to be bust on the bubble or HU, I am still playing well and not being affected. I watched a faarcyde video today which was excellent, the best part was that he bust 3/4 sngs and was not worried at all, it makes a change from the usual poker videos where the 'coach' wins all the time.

Laters :)
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      I deposited...

3 Reasons which were all pretty much +EV

1. Nice double bonus, deposited £50 and got a £100 bonus to work off.
      2. Opens up the SNG limits above $1.
      3. Instant(ish) PS Silver Status.

Now as I play I will be working off the bonus so even running horrible should be a profitable experience. I will also have the Silver materials at my disposal to enhance my game.

A little xmas present to myself, but I would like to withdraw the £50 again sometime soon. I suppose that will be my aim and as such I will not include the £50 in my BR long term.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      The max stake level ($1 max limit) was not automatically moved up. I got hold of Customer Services (CS) and asked for it to be done manually. 2 minutes later it was sorted out.

They were excellent on Christams Day !!!
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Made the mistake of thinking an iPoker client was going to be good...

CLICK HERE to read about it.

What a bunch of amateurs...

Pretty much guaranteed not to get into the freeroll I wanted to play tonight, or make inroads into the bonus, or probably make enough points to take part in the $10k freeroll coming up.

At least I can always fall back on good poker rooms (Stars/Party) to get my fix.

Not sure when next playing update will be as currently locked out of the client after resetting password.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      PS Status: Bronze (20 points to Silver)
      Poker770 BR: £57.70 (-£50 Deposit)

PS Status will be Silver as soon as someone recognises the deposit I made so not sure I should count this as a goal made really. I probably should count points/month or something, will have a think about it.

BR is also off as I deposited, will just give it as above for now. Bonus release is slow as I am still testing out games and using $1 or the odd $2 game for now. I think with my skill level I should at least be playing the $2 or $5 SNGs as I should not lose much unless I hit a massive downswing. I was going to do some this evening but the Poker770 software was acting up, some tables froze (Still got a micro BI tourney listed as INTERRUPTED 34/101 paying top 27 :( )

Cash games are poor and have always been my downfall - they stop from now. Lost all I gained in the first couple of days on here. I am the best ever at calling off peoples river shoves - bar none !!!

Not a great time on the client at the moment, online support has been unavailable since mid afternoon and the Magic Box promo has stuffed things up a few times today. I am not able to use the promo at all. Some SNGs are still not registering even though there are some people sitting like 2/6 but unable to get in the game.

I played a few games on Party to get some playing done. was up on a small sample :)

Mental Game: Again a good session, the off table stuff was pretty annoying but the actual time playing was good, no tilt that I can recall, even when a bluff went wrong for a stack at a cash table didn't get me too upset which I was pleased about, I managed to spew off at the speed poker too (hence no more cash). Overall the best part of my game at the minute is my tilt control. I do need to get my focus back and play solid poker as the site issues mean I am hunting for games, mixing 6s, 9s, 30s and KO, different speeds and also some Double Ups. Not a great idea really.

I am leaving it for today and will have a session on the $5 SNGs tomorrow if the traffic is ok (site glitches permitting) and see if I can't put some points together. If not I will just do a decent Party/Stars Session and stop messing about with Poker770 until the software is sorted out.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      PS Status: Silver (232 points to Gold)
      Poker770 BR: £53.98 (-£50 Deposit)
      Mental Game: B

PS Status is wrong, due to the deposit I made, but I would have made Silver easily without it. I think my aim has to be Gold really.

Volume will decide what my PS Status is over the months I suppose and with the iPoker traffic being poor this is never going to be my main site.

I suspect running sets of 3 Stars/Party Tables with an Ipoker table as the 4th table of my set (more than 4 tables at once, I lose focus and spew).

Overall the 6 & 9 mans are worth playing by the looks of it, the graph below shows all the games played on Poker770, I have played more but not included, things like freerolls, 30s and MTTs.

Lets see how far I can take this :)
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Goal Setting

The thread so far has 1 clear goal, achieve Silver Status, which is complete. I need to sort out exactly what I am going to do here, to that end I am going to clearly define the goals I have for Poker770.

1. Use BRM effectively to move this forward - must play $1 SNGs until I have 50 BI for the next level (this is probably a little less than optimal, I will increase the BI requirement for higher levels)

2. PS Status is there for all to see, I need to forget this as a goal and replace with a volume goal instead - must play over 50 6max SNGs each week.

3. Mental Game is far better than it ever used to be, I expect to do well with this now, but still want to track it here. I will not do a write up about this unless I mark my game as less than 'A' grade.

4. Mark/review hands is something I am terrible at. I want to get better at this and as such MUST post at least 1 hand per session into the <$5 SNG Hand Eval Forum.

5. Read/Watch 1 item of training material from PS every day. I need to actively understand what the material is trying to do.

6. Use the ICM Trainer a minimum of 100 hands/week.

[ ] BRM: 50 BI for next level
      [ ] Volume: >50 6max SNGs
      [ ] Mental Game: Review if graded a session below 'A'
      [ ] Hand Review: Post min 1 hand in eval forum each day
      [ ] Training: Read/Watch 1 item of training material daily
      [ ] Training: >100 hands in ICM Trainer

Week will start on a Monday.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      BR: £52.52

[x] Mental Game: Review if graded a session below 'A'
      [x] Hand Review: Post min 1 hand in eval forum each day
      [x] Training: Read/Watch 1 item of training material daily

16 6max SNGs played for a $0.60 profit :)

After having watched a Heads Up coaching video this afternoon. I played some HU Turbo and Hyper Turbos on PokerStars (ended about even). I played a few while waiting for tables to load on Poker770 and got a feel for it which was good.

I got HU in 7 of the 16 games and managed to take 3 1st place. I bubbled 6 which was disappointing but I felt I played well but still too tight. The $1 games are just so fishy that 40/5 seems a common stat on villains. It is hard for me to do much when I have stations calling EVERY bet. Just kept tight and value bet the hands I managed to make something off.

The bubble was a case of being too low in chips, fighting to survive and coming up against better when shoving too often.

Mental Game - I rated this a B as I noticed I was getting upset with the way cards were falling early, as I lost the 1st 4 games with an EV of -1. I thought about it and cleared my head, I ended up in profit for the session.

I do sometimes get the feeling that I am NEVER going to make it in poker at this rate though. It is disappointing to feel that way when I spend so much time at this game. I looked at my $1/£1 games on Poker770 and I am actually up ~8 BI so it is actually fine (sample size is 53 :f_p: ).

I need to think about the situations I find myself in though, too many times I am folding without even thinking about my opponents range, just looking at my hand and folding to cBets if I haven't hit.

This is a leak I need to work on...
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Interesting blog, I'll be keeping an eye on it. It's a great idea to start working on your HU game: it should have a huge effect on your possible SNG earnings (i.e. the difference between 1st and 2nd). It's a great way to introduce yourself to thinking in ranges too, since their often so wide.

Just out of interest (and sorry if you've already stated this): what are your aims? Are you playing and learning simply for the pleasure of self-development? Do you hope to have an additional income that is fairly substantial? Do you hope to one day play full-time? Just curious.

All the best.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Originally posted by ains21
      Interesting blog, I'll be keeping an eye on it. It's a great idea to start working on your HU game: it should have a huge effect on your possible SNG earnings (i.e. the difference between 1st and 2nd). It's a great way to introduce yourself to thinking in ranges too, since their often so wide.

Just out of interest (and sorry if you've already stated this): what are your aims? Are you playing and learning simply for the pleasure of self-development? Do you hope to have an additional income that is fairly substantial? Do you hope to one day play full-time? Just curious.

All the best.
      Hi Ains,

My aims are to move up the SNG limits to reach a level that I can earn a living. I have played for a long time but never managed to do much more than breakeven. The majority of times is due to focus and tilt issues, hence working a lot on my mental game.

Good Luck :)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      40 year old dad! :f_thumbsup: Join the club. My six year old daughter beat me 7-1 at Uno yesterday. Are you getting humiliated by yours yet?
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      40 year old dad! :f_thumbsup: Join the club. My six year old daughter beat me 7-1 at Uno yesterday. Are you getting humiliated by yours yet?
      Oh yeah!!! Yesterday was Dancing game on the WI :rolleyes:
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      BR: £61.35

[x] Mental Game: Review if graded a session below 'A'
      [x] Hand Review: Post min 1 hand in eval forum each day
      [x] Training: Read/Watch 1 item of training material daily

Great session to end my week, ending -$0.91 having been at -$16.51 after my ill advised shot at $5 SNGs with this BR :f_cry:

Having sorted out my goals and decided to concentrate on 6max $1/£1 (got to have both as loading these takes forever) I have seen a nice upturn. I have also had a couple of coaching sessions which were great and additional video material has helped me too, I have a nagging doubt my little patch of run good is due to weekend recreational players calling my 3bets though...

Today I played 12, cashed in 7, of which 5 were 1st place :) (I will play some more HU to improve my strike rate)

Below is my last 7 days graph for $1 6max.

ROI 32.3%
      Played: 42
      Earnings: +$15.17

Running good obviously, but happy to take it for now :)

Good luck at the tables.