[NL20-NL50] [sh] nl 50 AK missed should I not x/f?

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $49.25 (98.5 bb)
      MP: $46.60 (93.2 bb)
      CO: $98.61 (197.2 bb)
      BTN: $92.07 (184.1 bb)
      Hero (SB): $49.25 (98.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K A
      MP folds, CO calls $0.50, BTN raises to $3, Hero calls $2.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($7) 5 7 Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $5.25, Hero folds

Results:
      $7 pot ($0.35 rake)
      Final Board: 5 7 Q
      BTN mucked and won $6.65 ($3.65 net)
      Hero mucked K A and lost (-$3 net)

I flatted in order to keep the recreational player in and expecting the regular to have a strong range because of his 6x iso. Because of this and me completely missing the flop I decided to x/f.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Huh?

BU almost never folds to 3bet and you prefer calling OOP with AK?!

If your decision is a non-standard one and you give up on a clearly +EV decision you do it read based. When you make read based decisions you can't really ask others for advice on how to play the hand because they have less info than you, they would obviously choose the clear +EV decision, like I would here and 3bet preflop.

How do you weigh the EV of flatting to have the limper in compared to making BU spew by 3betting his isos like crazy? How do you make the money from the fish here? What about against the reg?
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Never seen this guy making a 6x iso before and the fish was a station like guy --> my logic was that he must be particularly strong here and I am not accomplishing much by 3betting : I would get the fish out of the pot + just play a standard preflop game usually vs the reg.

Why is this so badly flawed logic :D ?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's not badly flawed, I just didn't see you saying how you make more money with the fish in the pot in practice. In theory, yes you want the fish in the pot but in practice your equity with AKo is lower and you are OOP against 2 players. Is AKo the type of hand you take 3way as often as possible? I'm not saying it's wrong but it's stuff you have to think about : how do you make your money?

Apart from that, just because he isos 6bb doesn't mean he has a stronger hand. If you have been 3betting him a lot, he could do it to discourage you from 3betting. Apart from that, it could be just to generate more FE preflop from the fish and discourage calling with a hand like KJ, AQ, T9o, etc. Unitl you know what 6bb means, take it as a change and try to find out what it means, don't assume it means something. If you've seen regs do this only with KK+ or smth like that as a default I would get your thinking that he has a stronger range but you only said that's what you think a first time 6bb raise means. I would think it's just as likely a misclick as it is to be KK+.