Liub4in

• Liub4in
      Liub4in
      Bronze
      Hello guys,
      I started to play a couple of weeks ago, already have around 7k hands played and the result is break even. Just finishing the first lesson now, so up to the homework:
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I want to make a living while i finish my study and i wanna study a looooot :) second thing is that my life i pretty much of a mess and I want to use the discipline, poker teaches into one, for improving my life in general.
      Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      So far MANY, starting with: tilting easily, not from loosing, but from getting bored not hitting anything and than I start playing weaker hands; I find it hard and often fail at folding hands that i obviously are not monsters. I assume things for other players without having them checked; I'm not very bluffable;
      Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      To play only certain hands aggressively.
  • 13 replies
    • Liub4in
      Liub4in
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I do open wide my range for raise, especially when having tight players after me, in order to steal blinds.
      I open my range to go All in against loose aggressive players, with pair of JJ QQ AK, depending on the opponent VPIP.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      NL2 FR AKo out of position

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      46.32%
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Liub4in
      Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      46.32%
      Hi there,

I was just looking around and decided to leave my valuable opinion :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

For me 5% range is TT+, AQ+, KQs. We have 50.5% equity against it.

You don't have to trust Equilab on what is 5% of hands people play, adjust it as you see your limit. If someone 3bets for value with 5%, we expect to see TT and even AQo much more often than pocket 88, which would often just cold-call. AJs is also not so great because of domination.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello guys,
      I started to play a couple of weeks ago, already have around 7k hands played and the result is break even. Just finishing the first lesson now, so up to the homework:
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I want to make a living while i finish my study and i wanna study a looooot :) second thing is that my life i pretty much of a mess and I want to use the discipline, poker teaches into one, for improving my life in general.
      Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      So far MANY, starting with: tilting easily, not from loosing, but from getting bored not hitting anything and than I start playing weaker hands; I find it hard and often fail at folding hands that i obviously are not monsters. I assume things for other players without having them checked; I'm not very bluffable;
      Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      To play only certain hands aggressively.
      Hi Liub4in,

Welcome to the course.

Your motivations sound solid. How much time do you want to dedicate to poker a week (both playing and studying)?

What type of games do you play? Do you get bored because the action moves too slow (too few hands an hour) or because sometime you just don't really hit the hands?

I do recommend you start working on your tilt problems early on and a great start would be to introduce a stop loss mechanism where you quit the tables if you've lost X buyins.

Tight aggressive means that you play few hand preflop but the ones you do play are played aggressively postflop.

Good work, homework #1 is completed.

Don't forget to post hands on the evaluation forums where our judges are ready to help you.

Good luck with the next homeworks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I do open wide my range for raise, especially when having tight players after me, in order to steal blinds.
      I open my range to go All in against loose aggressive players, with pair of JJ QQ AK, depending on the opponent VPIP.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      NL2 FR AKo out of position

46.32%
      Question 1: What other factors do you think should influence our decision to adjust ranges?

Question 2: Well done.

Question 3: looks good and as German mentioned 5% could be different from player to player however top 5% is usually very similar.

Homework 2 complete. Well done,

Good luck at the tables.
    • Liub4in
      Liub4in
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Th334
      46.32%
      Hi there,

I was just looking around and decided to leave my valuable opinion :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

For me 5% range is TT+, AQ+, KQs. We have 50.5% equity against it.

You don't have to trust Equilab on what is 5% of hands people play, adjust it as you see your limit. If someone 3bets for value with 5%, we expect to see TT and even AQo much more often than pocket 88, which would often just cold-call. AJs is also not so great because of domination.
      Hey German,
      thanks for Your valuable opinion! However the assignment wasn't exact, they gave a range and they gave a program. Fallowing the given combinations of cards "88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo" the equity is 46.32%. What You assume the other player range or the average range can be, is the incorrect question answer. Although pure mathematicaly calculated there are 169 combinations pre flop and 5% of 169 is 8.45 that means max of 9 combinations! According to the equity one hand have against each other, the strongest 9 combinations are 66+ just because every pair have more equity against any high card! Or maybe I'm wrong? Looking forward your comments.
    • Liub4in
      Liub4in
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Your motivations sound solid. How much time do you want to dedicate to poker a week (both playing and studying)?

What type of games do you play? Do you get bored because the action moves too slow (too few hands an hour) or because sometime you just don't really hit the hands?

Hello Bogdan, (I assumed that is Your name, correct me if I'm wrong)
      I do spend around 4 hours a day for poker. Couple of hours studying and around 600-700 hands played on 4 tables. Of course I do not push myself for now I do it till I get bored, although I will change that soon.

I play TH NL2 FR 4 tables maximum, I found out i get bored when there is a LAG on the table or a maniac going all in every hand, instead of tighten up I get loose and than i start to do stupid things. I posted some of my shame on Double blog, on our way to totally owning anyone

Have some things in mind in order to improve my mind set. Will see how it will work out.
      Thanks for the advice!
      Greetings Liubo
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hey German,
      thanks for Your valuable opinion! However the assignment wasn't exact, they gave a range and they gave a program. Fallowing the given combinations of cards "88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo" the equity is 46.32%. What You assume the other player range or the average range can be, is the incorrect question answer. Although pure mathematicaly calculated there are 169 combinations pre flop and 5% of 169 is 8.45 that means max of 9 combinations! According to the equity one hand have against each other, the strongest 9 combinations are 66+ just because every pair have more equity against any high card! Or maybe I'm wrong? Looking forward your comments.
      Oh, I'm sorry, was this range actually in the question? :f_biggrin: I though that was your estimate. Of course you did it right then.

There are 1326 combinations preflop, and 5% is ~66 combos. Poker is no "paper, scissors, rock" :f_biggrin: Don't forget that AA is: AhAd, AsAd, AcAd, AsAh, AcAh, and AcAs. We have even more combos for something like AK (16).

Then, your understanding of equity lacks one important concept -- domination. Try comparing equity against AQ of pocket sixes, and then AK. With which hand would you rather stack preflop against AQ: 66 or AK. Why? Another example, if you know that your opponent has 77, would you rather stack against him with 66 or 89s? So poker is not only about your cards, but largely about your opponent cards. That's why every situation in poker is unique.

Why I didn't like top 5% range given in the question, because, as I said, people have a profitable call with pocket 88 quite often, and 3-betting would be a bluff with this hand most of the time. So "the top 5%" for me would look more like I told you. It's still only 5% of the possible hands (~66 combos).

Best,

German
    • Liub4in
      Liub4in
      Bronze
      There are 1326 combinations preflop, and 5% is ~66 combos. Poker is no "paper, scissors, rock" :f_biggrin: Don't forget that AA is: AhAd, AsAd, AcAd, AsAh, AcAh, and AcAs. We have even more combos for something like AK (16).
      The exact color is not important pre flop it only matters suited or off suited. If we calculate it your way with each possible color, than we have to calculate the ~66 combinations the same way, each possible hand with the following color. It just makes the equation harder. If u add a parameter in an equation you have to add it both sides. The flop color randomness will be the same as your given hand at the beginning. Therefor giving each hand each possible color will not change the the range.

Then, your understanding of equity lacks one important concept -- domination. Try comparing equity against AQ of pocket sixes, and then AK. With which hand would you rather stack preflop against AQ: 66 or AK. Why? Another example, if you know that your opponent has 77, would you rather stack against him with 66 or 89s? So poker is not only about your cards, but largely about your opponent cards. That's why every situation in poker is unique.
      German
      I totally agree with you and I understand it. But what you are talking about here is reading and giving opponents ranges and I'm talking mathematics here. If u get each flop, turn and river combination, 66 will win 53.98% of the times against AQ, which will do win 46.02% of the times, because of the domination u are talking about. But as I said this is not the right place to discuss it nor the correct answer to the certain question.
    • Liub4in
      Liub4in
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?
      preflop: KQs against 3d3c 50.78%
      on flop: 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

on turn Flushdraw have 9 outs and we have gutshot which give us 3 more out in total of 12, the remaining cards are 34 therefore ~1:3 pot odds. We have to pay 0.22 in order to play in pot of 0.91 that makes 1:4.1; Therefore a call will be profitable here.

Question 3:
      Flush on flop
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by BogdanPS

Hello Bogdan, (I assumed that is Your name, correct me if I'm wrong)
      I do spend around 4 hours a day for poker. Couple of hours studying and around 600-700 hands played on 4 tables. Of course I do not push myself for now I do it till I get bored, although I will change that soon.

I play TH NL2 FR 4 tables maximum, I found out i get bored when there is a LAG on the table or a maniac going all in every hand, instead of tighten up I get loose and than i start to do stupid things. I posted some of my shame on Double blog, on our way to totally owning anyone

Have some things in mind in order to improve my mind set. Will see how it will work out.
      Thanks for the advice!
      Greetings Liubo
      HI Liub4in,

Yes my name is Bogdan :)

It appears that the maniac or lag may put you on slight tilt (you are deviating from your A game by becoming looser). With a lot of these aggro monkeys we have to actually tighten up (when we are OOP and loosen up IP).

I would recommend that whenever you encounter a guy like this to your left to sit out and move on to a different table (for the time being).
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?
      preflop: KQs against 3d3c 50.78%
      on flop: 26.46%
      Looks good. Would you be able to compute this at the tables without the use of equilab?

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

on turn Flushdraw have 9 outs and we have gutshot which give us 3 more out in total of 12, the remaining cards are 34 therefore ~1:3 pot odds. We have to pay 0.22 in order to play in pot of 0.91 that makes 1:4.1; Therefore a call will be profitable here.
      A call is also good because we have a hidden backdoor flush draw which usually gives you better implied odds.

Question 3:
      Flush on flop
      Your hand was answer but don't forget to check back and see if the judge has questions for you. And if you want the judge to take another look at your hand make sure to hit the button that advises the judge about that (so we can see that you want us to revisit the hand).

Good luck with the next homework.
    • Liub4in
      Liub4in
      Bronze
      Hey First of all wanna say I'm sorry for missing for so long. I was back in Bulgaria for the Hollydays and I came back couple of days ago. :P

So answering the above question:
      Looks good. Would you be able to compute this at the tables without the use of equilab?

No, still not. I'm working on it.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey First of all wanna say I'm sorry for missing for so long. I was back in Bulgaria for the Hollydays and I came back couple of days ago. :P

So answering the above question:

No, still not. I'm working on it.
      I recommend you work on it by doing more Equilab exercises (while you review your sessions) and posting hands on the evaluation forum or here.

Keep us posted.