QQ in the Button megalodon330

• Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      Hello ! I was watching a hand that a friend played and it seemed all wrong, even if he did won that pot. Sorry but I have the hand on BOOM, he doesn't use a HUD. He is the one in the BU holding QQ. The guy who 4bets preflop is a LAG maniac.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/1552531_5F960A6676

For me, this hand preflop should've been 80% 5bet or 20% fold, but NEVER call. On that dry flop he didn't want to cbet even if I told him it was really necessary. He cbet on the turn and took down a pot that should've finished long time ago...

My play would've been 5bet pre, but let's say that I call. On the flop I would cbet half pot so that I wouldn't commit myself if he has AA or KK. If I get 3betted on the flop, I simply fold. Please tell:

#1 What would you do preflop against a crazy lag?

#2 Say you call preflop. What would you do next?

Thank you !
  • 4 replies
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      I 5bet pre as you've said and I'm prepared to play for stacks if the guy's a maniac, but as played I'd cbet the flop and actually stack off if he reraises. If he's a LAG maniac as you say, he could be trying to bluff with AK or he has AJ and thinks his hand might be good. 4betting AJ is pretty mad I know but with no stats I don't know what his ranges are. The flop is pretty innocuous for QQ unless he has JJ, so really if you're willing to go broke preflop here, I don't see why you wouldn't go for broke on the flop too.

I'm going to assume that the villain had AK/AQ here.
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answer ! I would vote for the shove pre flop as well as being the best choice here. You can't fold pre against him, and calling is wrong...
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Definitely jam preflop vs. maniac 4 bet.

As played, postflop I'd recommend cbetting small to induce a bluff or get value from overcards or induce a checkraise from Jxx.

As played on the flop, it would have been a better option to check down to the river, and see if villain makes a bluff attempt on the river to take the pot, or else bet small in the river to see if he wants to call with high cards or a low pair.

Betting on that turn was a mistake, it was a blank, if you didn't bet on the flop it made even less sense to bet there, and much less that big. What's calling you there, in particularly a bet that big? Nothing but the nuts.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Well it all kind of depends on the guys 4b/calling range. Just because he's a maniac it doesn't mean that his calling off range is super light (even if his 5b jamming range is). I mean, he obviously understands that you're strong here and that he has no fold equity by calling heh.

So, tbh, I don't really mind flatting here in position since we keep all his bluffs in his range (esp. if he likes to c-bet flops often enough): though sometimes he spikes an ace I still think it's +EV for all the c-bet stabs he makes in this spot (dumb as they may be).

As played, the flop is definitely a bet for get value out of any 99/TT he may play this way, as well as AJ/KJ he wants to bluff catch with (plus seeing the ace on the turn after checking back is going to be horrible, esp. considering he is going to almost always lead in to us there).