Difference rush MTT vs normal MTT?

• ragney
      I've never played one and want to play some miniFTOPS, few of them are rush MTT format. What is the biggest/most important things to know compared to normal MTTs? I played Zoom/rush cash games before but thats it.
  • 4 replies
    • Asaban
      Most important difference is the lack of information and reads since you will have new opponents every hand. Furthermore it is a lot faster and you will be able to play a lot more hands each blind level then you normally would. I wouldn't recommend playing rush tournaments when multitabling since it's kinda hard to manage other tables while clicking like mad.

Since there is no information on opponents you won't have to balance anything.

In general people tend to play tighter and fold way more to steals and contibets since they can just quick fold and get a new hand immidiatly. Therefore your opponents ranges will be a bit top heavier then they normally are.

The general approach depends on your personal preferences. Since there is no point in balancing anything a very tight approach is as good as a very loose approach as long as they are executed well.

Nice answer Asaban :s_thumbsup:

I agree about not multitabling. It melts my brain to have more than 2 Zoom/Rush games running.
    • Optroot
      Well, I've played 2 and haven't cashed in them. But, I'll give my opinion anyway.

Some things that I've noticed:
      • People are generally pretty loose for zoom (compared to cash)
      • Once the blinds get high, people die FAST, like you are ITM in about 1hr in a field of 3-4k, 15% paid IIRC

The weird thing about rush tourneys is you can in a way pick how many hands you want to play. Unlike cash or non-zoom MTTs, the strategy of how many hands/hour you play is super important.

Ultimately this means that you want see a lot of hands early, and fewer in late game. Most of our edge comes from late-game play, but it doesn't matter since we gain so much more while other people are getting knocked out (at a really fast rate).

So what this means is, play tight in early game, try to play many hands/hour so you aren't taking small edges, and instead finding the large ones. Unlike cash games or even normal MTTs, where you shouldn't be passing small edges, in rush you can play another hand immediately (technically one extra). I'm raise folding (to 3b) first-in a lot of hands here too, just because it doesn't take that long, still pretty tight though. As for 3b/cc range, that's where I'm tight.

For 6-max in early I'd open with UTG/UTG1/CO/BU/SB 10%/12%/20%/35%/30%. Kinda tight first-in for 6-max, but not really, most of the tightness comes from folding not first in. I'm pretty much set-mining and calling good Ax and sometimes SC, but it depends. Usually 3b JJ+,AK, but it depends on stacks, might bluff 3b some combos from time to time or widen the range. But this really depends on how you play normally, it's really just the same, except you aren't taking really close spots.

I'm raising to 2.5x in early phases, and 2x on the button, just because people fast fold and you'll take it uncontested pretty often and don't have to worry about your steal image vs these players. Don't really have a good reason for this though.

In the late game, don't fast fold, unless the blinds are about to go up and you need to chip accumulate, or it's the bubble and your edge is huge (IMO most people don't tighten up in the money bubble because it happens and passes so fast), or you are a big stack. Other than that, play the same game as normal. HOWEVER, regarding -EV pushes, it's a little different because you might be in the BB next hand, and when you're on the BU, you still might be the BB next hand. So I would still make them, but a little less often from UTG, and a little more often in the BB/CO. I'm not sure about this though.

As a short stack, it's probably slightly +EV overall to take some 0EV or slightly -EV pushes or calls, just because of the fact that it wastes time.
      As a big stack, you can fold and find a better hand to push/call. This is pretty much the same as regular MTTs though.

TL;DR tighter early, pretty much same late-game, except don't fast fold without a reason

Thanks for the topic! Not sure if this is the right approach, but let's try to find out what is!

• Mikus8
      I would say that playing like a maniac and opening everything is profitable, reraise everyone when in position, if you notice that someone has noticed you and raises you, raise him back!
      And i'm not even being sarcastic right now, but I would actually prefer you not listening to me and chosing the tight approach instead.