[NL2-NL10] T9s HU IP – PF: Isolating UTG Unknown Limp, F: Villain Min-bets/3-bets, T+R: Villain Min-Bets

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 103.5 BB
      SB: 99 BB
      BB: 131.5 BB
      UTG: 74 BB
      MP: 30 BB
      CO: 111.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has T:club: 9:club:

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, UTG calls 3 BB

Flop: (9.5BB, 2 players) T:heart: 6:spade: 4:diamond:
      UTG bets 1 BB, Hero raises to 6 BB, UTG raises to 11 BB, Hero calls 5 BB

Turn: (31.5BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      UTG bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB

River: (33.5BB, 2 players) 2:club:
      UTG bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB

PF: UTG Limps.
      This is most likely a playable hand which isn't strong enough to raise.
      i.e. weaker broadway cards, ace-rag, connectors and suited high cards.

PF: Hero isolates the UTG limper with a high suited connector.
      He does this to make use of his position at the table, hoping to bluff-bet good flops.
      Should Hero be wanting to keep the pot small and letting other opponent's join the action with his speculative hands?

PF: Villain calls.
      Probably folds his most weakest hands but continues with a good portion of his range.

F: Villain min-bets.
      Hero treats this as a sign of weakness, but could be a trap with value hands.

F: Hero raises min-bet with weak made hand, top pair with very weak kicker.
      Hero feels obliged to bet here as he could have the best hand but since it's weak, then he should fold it to too much resistance.

F: Villain min 3-bets.
      Since Villain is unknown, Hero is unsure what to make of the actions, either:

Scenario A – Villain is bluffing with weaker draws/made hands or air.
      Hero could profitably call and hope to see a cheap showdown.

Scenario B – Villain has a medium-strength made hand, most likely Tx.
      Hero calls the 5BB hoping to hit a 9 and get paid against these medium-strength hands.

Scenario C – Villain has a strong made hand, a set with 66 or 44.
      However, there is a slight chance Villain has a strong hand and Hero is drawing dead.
      This could lead to Hero losing a big pot if he hits his 9 on the turn or river.

F: Hero calls 5BB with his weak made hand.
      Since it more likely that an unknown opponent will have a better hand here, I think Hero should have folded since he could potentially lose a lot of money versus trips which make up a decent part of his opponent's range.

Also, Hero should realise that is less likely for an opponent who is passive pre-flop to bluff post-flop.

As played:
      Hero hopes that it is scenario A and calls the two min-bets hoping for a cheap showdown.

From this, Hero realises that when he holds a weak made hand post-flop:
      He should be looking to bet/fold to 3-bet against Unknown players.

He also realises that he should:
      Analyse the actions of his opponent's pre-flop to start to categorise them.
      i.e. a person who open-limps pre-flop is passive.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Raknyo,

Preflop: looks fine. I'd never limp here with position when we can isolate a fish.

Postflop: As played I'd call down too but that flop raise/call is a bit thin versus unknown with a weak TP and no redraws.

My default/first choice would be to raise/fold there followed by call the flop 3-bet and fold to any larger bets.