$11 Bankroll building challenge

• Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      Hi,

I am Rickie, I am from the UK and have been playing now for around 4-5 years. I am mainly a MTT SNG player, but also play PL OMAHA every now and then. I have played at varied limits up to $15 SNGs, the tournaments I have the most experience at are 45/90 man MTT Sngs.

History:
      In the past I managed to build bankrolls of a few hundred dollars, however due to poor bankroll management these were lost. Mainly because I didn't set goals and once they was achieved the money was wasted on tournaments like Sunday million and higher limit SNGs. Another problem which I had was I didn't understand variance or ROI properly. I used to just play expecting to win every flip etc… which tilted me and contributed to losing my BR.

Current:
      Earlier this month I deposited $11 as I wanted to start grinding SNGs again and this time I have set goals which are stated below. However this time the most important thing for me is to continue setting new goals once these have been achieved.

I am capable of playing around 35 tournaments at a time profitably at 0.25 limit, which means if I play around 3-4 hours on a night I can play around 60-80 depending on traffic and internet speed.

Challenge:
      Starting with a bankroll of $11 I am going to try and build this up to $2000 by the end of 2013, to do this I will aim to play around 800-1000 tournaments per month. I will blog on here monthly or whenever I move up a limit, providing a graph with basic statistics and a set of new goals for the following month.

Start:
      Bankroll -: $11.24
      Date -: 10/12/2012

End:
      Bankroll-: $2000
      Date -: 01/01/2014

Bankroll management:
      150 buy in rule for any limits above 0.25, reason being im already crushing 0.25 limit, will move back down once 50 buy ins at any current limit. Meaning if at any point while playing the 0.25 tourneys I go down to $5 I will move down to 0.10

Bankroll Tournament Buy-In (Duration)
      $11 $0.25 (2 Hours)
      $75 $0.5 (1 Hour)
      $225 $1.5 (1 Hour)
      $525 $3.5 (1 Hour)
      $1,050 $7 (1 Hour)
      $2,250 $15 (1 Hour)

Statistics
      I currently use Poker tracker 3 to record statistics and produce graphs, this also provides a HUD. I will be reviewing these statistics one day per week to attempt to identify leaks. I have been told holdem manager is great for this but I am not sure what the difference between the two programs are.

Projected ROI
      Projection based on 1000 tournaments being played each month (Used an excel spreadsheet with formulas to project this, if anyone wants this I could provide a link later)

ROI Dec-12
      2% $16.24
      5% $23.74
      10% $36.24
      20% $61.24
      30% $86.24
      40% $111.24
      50% $136.24

ROI Jan-13
      2% $21.24
      5% $36.24
      10% $61.24
      20% $111.24
      30% $236.24
      40% $311.24
      50% $386.24

The above shows a projection based on running on average at the specified percentage and also presumes I will play 1000 tournaments per month. This isn’t an accurate reflection I may not even achieve 2% I will use this to set goals each month depending on the previous month.

As I have already been playing this month and don’t have much time left I believe the below goals are achievable:

December Goals
      :spade: Reach $20
      :spade: Play 200 tournaments a week
      :spade: Watch 2 videos

:heart: Go gym 3 times a week
  • 35 replies
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Good Luck Rickie :)

Never played many of the larger field SNGs but I have found the $1 30mans on Poker770 are pretty easy to final table.

Do you expect a good ROI% with that many tables? I would just be button clicking with that many open. 10 is about the top of my limit at the moment.

Have a great New Year !!!
    • Flushmaker89
      Flushmaker89
      Bronze
      Hi Rickie,

good luck. We will see us on the 0,50$ limit ;)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck Rickie!
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Silver
      Good luck :) Its possible that we meet in tables offten ;)
    • ThePirateSword
      ThePirateSword
      Global
      in order to do this you need to play 200 tournament in a day not in a week
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gentari
      Good Luck Rickie :)

Never played many of the larger field SNGs but I have found the $1 30mans on Poker770 are pretty easy to final table.

Do you expect a good ROI% with that many tables? I would just be button clicking with that many open. 10 is about the top of my limit at the moment.

Have a great New Year !!!
      It is a lot of button clicking in the early stages but I use hotkeys built into Pokerstars, this makes life a lot easier when multi-tabling. I tend to stack all the tournaments in one corner of the screen and move the tournaments out around the screen when I get to final tables, this helps because it means I can then play these optimally.

My ROI I aim to achieve 20%, however when I finally get to turbos I will drop the tables to around 20-25

Originally posted by Flushmaker89
      Hi Rickie,

good luck. We will see us on the 0,50$ limit ;)
      I hope to be playing 0.50 by around February, will see you there ;)

Originally posted by reggie123
      Good luck :) Its possible that we meet in tables offten ;)
      We will meet soon :) I forgot to ask how many tables do you play?

Thanks for the messages :) Good luck to all, have a great new year
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Silver
      8-15 tables usually.
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      December review got overwritten with January and now its lost :(
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Looking good Rickie,

Transition from standard speed to turbo will be a problem for most players. My graphs are better at standard speed as the fish knock each other out when it is not required, turbos you get to the mid/end phase that bit quicker and I found adjusting difficult.

To overcome this I played a lot of Hypers and HU (more to do here) enabling me to gain more experience of late stage play, opening my ranges up in position especially.

STICK TO YOUR BRM - IT WILL WORK :s_cool:

Good Luck in 2013 !!!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Solid advice from Gentari there Rickie!

Good luck for 2013!
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      Looking good Rickie,

Transition from standard speed to turbo will be a problem for most players. My graphs are better at standard speed as the fish knock each other out when it is not required, turbos you get to the mid/end phase that bit quicker and I found adjusting difficult.

To overcome this I played a lot of Hypers and HU (more to do here) enabling me to gain more experience of late stage play, opening my ranges up in position especially.

STICK TO YOUR BRM - IT WILL WORK :s_cool:

Good Luck in 2013 !!!
      Cheers mate, I have thought about it and I may stick to standard speed until I get to around $150. I could then practice playing some $1.50 hypers, may play a few hundred or something to get used to shoving a wider range because im probably too tight at the moment. I guess it will also improve my heads up game. Thanks for the advice it makes a lot of sense

Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Solid advice from Gentari there Rickie!

Good luck for 2013!
      Sounds like he knows his stuff :)

Thanks Gl to you too
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      I have really been helped with opening up in position by watching PARODIQs 3 part video series on SNGs.

I recommend watching those and employing some of the ideas in your games. I played some 12, 18, 27 games last night 1 of each at $1.50 and cashed all 3. So either I am a :s_biggrin: or hit a nice streak...

In fact the games are NIT fests from the little I have looked at and stealing blinds from even level 1 seems it may be profitable.

May all your hands hold at showdown :s_grin:
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      I have really been helped with opening up in position by watching PARODIQs 3 part video series on SNGs.

I recommend watching those and employing some of the ideas in your games. I played some 12, 18, 27 games last night 1 of each at $1.50 and cashed all 3. So either I am a :s_biggrin: or hit a nice streak...

In fact the games are NIT fests from the little I have looked at and stealing blinds from even level 1 seems it may be profitable.

May all your hands hold at showdown :s_grin:
      Thanks mate, will take a look at those later this week, I've already watched some by Jonathan Little and he seems quite loose when it comes to push/fold game, but he did also explain how he wanted to get as many chips as possible going into a final table, might try that one session to see how it goes

However I think there are a lot of NITS in the 45 man games, I have found a lot of them generally fold to a min raise when it gets to around 200/400, I'm going to try incorporate that into my game a bit more. Maybe like shove on the REGs because they tend to re-steal a lot and min raise against the NITS

Will watch those videos later though thanks, have also been experimenting with my heads up game, I think this is gradually improving although I hope to improve my win ratio once heads up, went a whole session without winning one tourney but theres still 20+ days of January so no rush :)
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      January So Far

Hi All,

As I have been playing a ton of volume this month, I have already played over 1000 games and still going to play til the end of the month going to aim for 2000 now which should be pretty easy

So from the start of the month I was playing $0.25 tourneys, my aim was to reach $0.50 limit by the end of the month, on the 5th January I took an unsuccessful shot at the $0.50 tourneys but then carried on playing $0.25. I played around 750 of these since the start of the month as you can see in the graph below :) This was incredibly frustrating because they were slow and took around 2.5 hours to complete. Plus I had a 500-600 game break-even stretch (after I had also took a shot on $0.50 tourneys -$5 or so) which is hard when each game takes 2.5 hours. But thankfully around 750 games mark I hit an upswing which then enabled me to play $0.50. But it didn't stop there I carried on playing $0.50 tourneys and hit a huge upswing which was over 100 buyins and found myself safely rolled for the $0.50 level.

So the last couple of days has been nice, ive been able to grind a decent amount of volume because they load up pretty quickly so thats great. Been around about 200 tourney break-even stretch but thats ok will carry on playing until the end of the month and hopefully hit another one at some point :)

Graph

Summary
      Tournaments played: 1139
      Profit/Loss: +$137.70
      ROI: 30.68%

Current Bankroll: $165.26

Issues
      Earlier in the month I had some problems with my mental game, I found myself typing in the chat window and calling various players "donks" after my big PP gets a suck-out. However what I tried to do over the past 4-5 days is not let it bother me, there have been occasions where I have got frustrated but have controlled it better since I have added a few extra tournaments on. I think the problem was I was watching each hand when I went all in and this was seriously tilting me when I got a suck-out, so now I don't bother I find it the easiest way of controlling myself.

ICM Trainer
      I am going to start using this before a session, I may just use it for like 30 minutes before I play for real, that way I can get myself in the correct mindset before loading the tables.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Really good volume and progress. You are like i was almost a year ago when I grinded $10 upto $1800. I hope you do the same :D

Whats your plans now? surely you have the roll for $1.50 games and from my experience they are pretty much the same as the $.50s.
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dogma18
      Really good volume and progress. You are like i was almost a year ago when I grinded $10 upto $1800. I hope you do the same :D

Whats your plans now? surely you have the roll for $1.50 games and from my experience they are pretty much the same as the $.50s.
      Me too lol $1800 would be a nice bankroll :o

My plan was to keep on playing $0.50 until I hit the $200 mark and then start to play a few sessions on $1.50 limit, although I could mix in some $1 90 mans before then, not too sure about how many buy ins I need for $1.5 which is why I'm being a bit conservative
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Excellent volume Rick, well done. Your results have been nice too.

Looks like the hard work is paying off. The tilt issues are a pain (as you know from my own thread) but working on your game and seeing the results shows that the odd suckout will not stop you steady bankroll growth.

ICM Trainer is good, having something like that to get you focusses is a good idea, I may have to start doing my 50 hands pre session to get me in the mood too.

Good Luck :s_cool:
    • meepwn
      meepwn
      Bronze
      Impressive mate, I am honestly jealous of your discipline.

ICM Trainer I am going to start using this before a session, I may just use it for like 30 minutes before I play for real, that way I can get myself in the correct mindset before loading the tables.

I think that using a push/fold training software is wayyyy more useful than watching videos/posting hands for analisys when it comes to SNG players.

GL on your quest.
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      Excellent volume Rick, well done. Your results have been nice too.

Looks like the hard work is paying off. The tilt issues are a pain (as you know from my own thread) but working on your game and seeing the results shows that the odd suckout will not stop you steady bankroll growth.

ICM Trainer is good, having something like that to get you focusses is a good idea, I may have to start doing my 50 hands pre session to get me in the mood too.

Good Luck :s_cool:
      Thanks buddy, to be honest I think volume is the key for me, it helps stop me tilting, you should use it before a session too, I only started doing it about a week ago and it has improved my turbo game hugely!!

Originally posted by meepwn
      Impressive mate, I am honestly jealous of your discipline.

ICM Trainer I am going to start using this before a session, I may just use it for like 30 minutes before I play for real, that way I can get myself in the correct mindset before loading the tables.

I think that using a push/fold training software is wayyyy more useful than watching videos/posting hands for analisys when it comes to SNG players.

GL on your quest.
      Thanks a lot for the nice comments :)

I have to agree training software is awsome for SNGs