[NL2-NL10] 88 on 246 rainbowflop

• Fonyman
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 8.
      MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BU calls $0.30, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.75) 2, 4, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BU calls $0.80.

Turn: ($2.35) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.20, BU calls $2.20.

River: ($6.75) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.00, BU calls $5.67(All-In).

Final Pot: $18.42.

Results follow:

BU shows a straight, seven high(3d Ad).
      Hero shows a straight, eight high(8s 8c).

Hero wins with a straight, eight high(8s 8c).

Villain is unknown, has shown to be a bit loose-passive after a few hands

Hi again, on most of my previously posted hands I've been told that I bet too low, so what about this one?

I'll try to share what I thought during the streets;

Ok, it's an obvious decision to open-raise here CO with 88. I'm thinking that his calling range is super loose here, it can be anything like Ax, Kxs, or 22-88 and all kinds of connectors.

I'm first considering "check-raise"-ing, but I settle with "bet/fold"-ing here, my reasons: I'm the preflop agressor so it feels balanced, I have overcards and there are alot of straight draws matching his range

When he calls I'm thinking; is he slow-playing a set? Probably not. Is he calling me becaue he thinks I'm bluffing? probably. Is he on a draw? probably.

I'm "bet/fold"-ing again to protect my overpair against his draw and two-pair outs. But he calls again so I'm thinking now that he is either slowplaying something or paying way too much for the last card for his draw.

I'm lucky enough to complete my straight so I have the nuts now, therefore I'm thinking if I should do a low value bet or just put everything in there. My instinct say push everything in there because he's been so happy to call other streets he might just aswell do it again with a lower straight, 2pair or whatever he is slow-playing. The only hand that beat me is the 89 but it should've been folded on the flop.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Fonyman,

Preflop: looks fine

Flop: we shouldn't bet because it "feels balanced" but rather because we can get value or bluff (in this case value). And as a byproduct you get protection.

Considering how dry the flop is I'd actually bet 2/3-3/4 of the pot here.

Turn: What draws are we protecting against exactly? A3 and A5?, 33/55?

This is a turn where I feel our value is limited and we can check to let him bet his floats (ck/call).

River: looks good.