"I erred on the side of not restealing." meaning?

• Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      "Because my sample was small and the player pools at $10 and $25 are huge, and pretty damn big at $50, too, I usually didn't have a reliable sample for villain stats. In those cases, I erred on the side of not restealing. "

I honestly cant interpret this, what does this mean in this context?
      Edit: I KNOW what resteal means.
      Is is tryting to say, that:
      a) I didnt resteal, which was the good choice.
      b) I made a mistake by not restealing.
  • 6 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      A re-steal spot comes up that is close and possibly profitable, and in this case hero chooses not to take it most of the time.

A re-steal is a re-raise vs steal attempt. It could involve 3betting against late position openers, or 4betting vs 3betters.
    • UltimateBlue
      UltimateBlue
      Silver
      Originally posted by Imimba1
      a) I didn't resteal, which was the good choice.
      b) I made a mistake by not restealing.
      He does not imply any of those two choices. I think he tried to minimize variance by not restealing.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Ok ok keep your pants on. I don't see why I should assume you already know what a resteal is when you don't understand simple English.

He is not implying 1 OR 2. He is implying exactly as I already posted....

"A re-steal spot comes up that is close and possibly profitable, and in this case hero chooses not to take it most of the time. "

He is not implying he made an error. He is simply deciding to be very cautious with regard to his resteals. I.e "erring on the side of caution". This is a common linguistic structure used in the English language and may not translate well literally into other languages.

Literally you might say "If I WERE to make an error, it would be because I did not resteal enough". It doesn't imply an error is actually ever made though - the taken action is an intentional one.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Ok ok keep your pants on. I don't see why I should assume you already know what a resteal is when you don't understand simple English.

He is not implying 1 OR 2. He is implying exactly as I already posted....

"A re-steal spot comes up that is close and possibly profitable, and in this case hero chooses not to take it most of the time. "

He is not implying he made an error. He is simply deciding to be very cautious with regard to his resteals. I.e "erring on the side of caution". This is a common linguistic structure used in the English language and may not translate well literally into other languages.

Literally you might say "If I WERE to make an error, it would be because I did not resteal enough". It doesn't imply an error is actually ever made though - the taken action is an intentional one.
      I lold. Good explanation.
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot w34z3l and Ultimate!
      As a token of my gratitude, accept this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywmpMQYojs
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      He Decided he was not going to be re-stealing because he didnt have enough info that it would be profitable at the time or in the future