This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

"I erred on the side of not restealing." meaning?

• Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      "Because my sample was small and the player pools at $10 and $25 are huge, and pretty damn big at $50, too, I usually didn't have a reliable sample for villain stats. In those cases, I erred on the side of not restealing. "

I honestly cant interpret this, what does this mean in this context?
      Edit: I KNOW what resteal means.
      Is is tryting to say, that:
      a) I didnt resteal, which was the good choice.
      b) I made a mistake by not restealing.
  • 6 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      A re-steal spot comes up that is close and possibly profitable, and in this case hero chooses not to take it most of the time.

A re-steal is a re-raise vs steal attempt. It could involve 3betting against late position openers, or 4betting vs 3betters.
    • UltimateBlue
      UltimateBlue
      Silver
      Originally posted by Imimba1
      a) I didn't resteal, which was the good choice.
      b) I made a mistake by not restealing.
      He does not imply any of those two choices. I think he tried to minimize variance by not restealing.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Ok ok keep your pants on. I don't see why I should assume you already know what a resteal is when you don't understand simple English.

He is not implying 1 OR 2. He is implying exactly as I already posted....

"A re-steal spot comes up that is close and possibly profitable, and in this case hero chooses not to take it most of the time. "

He is not implying he made an error. He is simply deciding to be very cautious with regard to his resteals. I.e "erring on the side of caution". This is a common linguistic structure used in the English language and may not translate well literally into other languages.

Literally you might say "If I WERE to make an error, it would be because I did not resteal enough". It doesn't imply an error is actually ever made though - the taken action is an intentional one.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Ok ok keep your pants on. I don't see why I should assume you already know what a resteal is when you don't understand simple English.

He is not implying 1 OR 2. He is implying exactly as I already posted....

"A re-steal spot comes up that is close and possibly profitable, and in this case hero chooses not to take it most of the time. "

He is not implying he made an error. He is simply deciding to be very cautious with regard to his resteals. I.e "erring on the side of caution". This is a common linguistic structure used in the English language and may not translate well literally into other languages.

Literally you might say "If I WERE to make an error, it would be because I did not resteal enough". It doesn't imply an error is actually ever made though - the taken action is an intentional one.
      I lold. Good explanation.
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot w34z3l and Ultimate!
      As a token of my gratitude, accept this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywmpMQYojs
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      He Decided he was not going to be re-stealing because he didnt have enough info that it would be profitable at the time or in the future