[NL20-NL50] 87s 2nd pair IP

• AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Gold
      Prima, $0.20/$0.40 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $96.31 (240.8 bb)
      SB: $34.52 (86.3 bb)
      BB: $145.20 (363 bb)
      UTG: $35.58 (88.9 bb)
      MP: $54.56 (136.4 bb)
      CO: $64.37 (160.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8:heart: 7:heart:
      UTG calls $0.40, MP calls $0.40, CO calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40, SB folds, BB raises to $2, UTG calls $1.60, MP calls $1.60, CO folds, Hero calls $1.60

Flop: ($8.60) 3:spade: Q:diamond: 7:club: (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero bets $4, BB folds, UTG calls $4, MP folds

Turn: ($16.60) 4:club: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($16.60) 2:heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $8.20, Hero folds

Results: $16.60 pot ($0.83 rake)
      Final Board: 3:spade: Q:diamond: 7:club: 4:club: 2:heart:
      Hero mucked 8:heart: 7:heart: and lost (-$6 net)
      UTG mucked and won $15.77 ($9.77 net)

UTG unknown

MP 19/13 558 hands

BB 41/26 376 hands. Fit or fold fish.

I think preflop IP is ok.

I think betting the flop IP as semi-bluff is ok? They won`t fold Qx, but i think i can take down the pot some of the time and i also have some outs to improve? Bet size? I guess 3$ would do the same?
  • 4 replies
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      I don't like the bet on the flop. I think if there was a heart it might be slightly better but I think too often BB has a strong hand after raising so big and is not giving up. Unless you are planning to barrel here which I don't think is a good idea I don't think cbetting is a good idea either. So I would just try to check it down and turn a 7 or 8.
    • AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Gold
      I think BB is betting a strong hand. I doubt he will ch/c anything, because in previous hands he check/folded Axxr IP as PFR.

I think MP is betting any strong hand and after overlimping preflop, he shouldn`t have many Qx hands.

UTG can have some Qx/PP in his limping range, but he should also have a lot of hands, that missed the flop.

If i bet 3$, it will have to work only 26% + i have 5 outs for what should often be the best hand if someome ch/c the flop.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Achilles,

I don't mind the bet on the flop but since we can't bet many turns I'd like to make it slightly bigger (to avoid getting ck/called by some floats that will subsequently bluff the river into us). Even if we make it something like $5 we should still have enough FE (plus the 5 outs on two streets).

However let's take it back to the preflop. Is there a particular reason as to why you don't want to raise this hand preflop versus 3 limps? I would imagine that we can isolate one or two of them? If they are huge calling stations and always look to see a flop then the raise looses a bit of it's value.
    • AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Gold
      Preflop i don`t want to raise because BB can call me often, UTG will probably call, and the 2 regs may also call, because they will get excellent pot odds. So i`ll often end up in huge pot, multiway with a weak drawing hand. I can play very good postflop in position, but still SK don`t play very well in big pots?

Edit: I guess raising is a good option, because the 2 regs (MP and BU) will play very honestly on the flop (if they call preflop) and i can play well vs. UTG, who is probably a fish.