[NL20-NL50] NL50sh - AQ oop

• Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Hey,

Is this a call pre vs a decent reg (small sample). BB was a nit

What about the flop? Should we defend here? Vs CO range? How?

Poker Stars $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2045498
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $50.00 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 13, 3B: 4, AF: 0.3, Hands: 61
      UTG: $66.11 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 18, 3B: 13, AF: 3.2, Hands: 80
      MP: $55.08 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 16, 3B: 11, AF: 5.3, Hands: 87
      CO: $69.87 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 16, 3B: 3, AF: 2.8, Hands: 169
      BTN: $31.27 - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 12
      Hero (SB): $61.40 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 15, 3B: 6, AF: 3.7, Hands: 561273

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with Q :diamond: A :spade:
      1 fold, MP raises to $1.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($3.50) 5 :club: J :diamond: 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $2.20, Hero folds
  • 12 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      What about the flop? Should we defend here? Vs CO range? How?

Actual ranges, not positions. People play differently from each position. Specific percentage to get a more argumented answer. The general advice is AQ is good enough to play against MP and CO ranges usually preflop (call or 3bet as thin value/bluff) and overs with BD flush is also good enough to play back postflop again by calling or raising depending on how your opponent plays later streets post. The raise is easier so to speak because you have less decisions to make later on since you end the hand more often but also give up quite often. You rely on him folding to the raise more than him making other mistakes later.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Okay, so I understand the preflopcall is good here. I'd 3B if BB was too good/aggro and probably even when he's a fish. What would you do if BB was a fish? Always call or always 3B AQ?

- Let's say he opens 18% MP and 30% CO. How does this affect our range to defend with on this board? Should we fold AQo here as a default vs MP range and call or raise vs CO range?

- It's true that stats are important here yes. Vs someone with low barreling % we could just call flop and put trust in his honesty OTT. Vs someone who likes to barrel (and is most of the time a tough reg) it gets harder... We don't rep much with a raise so vs regs we don't have a raising range here right? So maybe call and x/r decent turn or call and lead turn? But then again, a good reg may put us on air if we lead turn

I think this are interesting spots... Ranges to defend with when OOP on paired boards.

cya
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      1. If BB was a fish I'd be more inclined to 3bet actually. I don't see myself making more money OOP with an offsuit hand than HU with 2 high cards or mroe than the times I take it down preflop.

2. I would 3bet pre vs 30% CO almost always with AQ. I think you can check/raise vs both but be less inclined to barrel vs MP. At the same time, CO range is weaker so less likely to barrel meaning when you call you can bluff later vs CO, while MP is more likely to barrel.

3. You can have made hands to defend more and draws. I think AQo is not one of the hands you MUST play back with on paired boards. You can use AQ on Axx, Qxx, T72r, KT2, etc, where your overs are cleaner and your barrel potential is a bit higher.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      I think I prefer not having a sb flatting range vs mp here and just play 3bet or fold. AQ is definitely a 3bet for me. If you have more questions I would be happy to go on more about in detail but that's usually my game plan.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Also I hate raising here. Raising in spots where we rep too thinly in todays games is bad. We can only rep JJ and 55/full houses are hard to make/quads even harder. People will just play back/call down way too often and we can spew too much here. Raising is bad imo.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Also to add for preflop, I've seen tight players flat quite a few very weak hands IP here so I think even against the standard reg it's not too thin for value.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by serverm07
      I think I prefer not having a sb flatting range vs mp here and just play 3bet or fold. AQ is definitely a 3bet for me. If you have more questions I would be happy to go on more about in detail but that's usually my game plan.
      And what about AJ? ATs?

Why would you never call in SB if BB isnt aggro? :)
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Originally posted by serverm07
      And what about AJ? ATs?

Why would you never call in SB if BB isnt aggro? :)
      It becomes a problem to have a too narrow of a range and too predictable if your opponent's can hand read.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Because our flatting range becomes too small?

What would u do with KJs, KQs, QKo, AJs etc? All 3bet hands?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Because our flatting range becomes too small?

What would u do with KJs, KQs, QKo, AJs etc? All 3bet hands?
      Yep. The idea is that when you have a narrow and capped range you just get owned OOP against any reasonable opponent. Vs fish you can still play like that but a reg in BB or reg opener will immediately put you on the exact hands you have and play accordingly. You start 3betting all hands and a lot of Axs, KQs, 22+ hands are good to turn into 3bet/5bet bluffs anyway, depending on how your opponent 4bets. I assume that was one of your worries: 3bet/folding too often if you always 3bet, right?
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Okay cool to know :) . Allthough we don't face many GOOD regs so I'd still call hands like QKs, AJs, KJs and play OOP.

Yeah I was indeed a bit worried about 3b/f too much :)
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's all dynamics and adjusting. Forget standard imo.