This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] [NL2 SH] QQ vs. a 4-bet

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      BB: $5.34 (267 bb)
      UTG: $4.65 (232.5 bb)
      MP: $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      CO: $1.60 (80 bb)
      BTN: $0.73 (36.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q Q
      MP posts BB OOP, CO posts BB OOP, UTG folds, MP raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, BB folds, MP raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.46

Flop: ($1.46) 7 8 K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.92, Hero folds

The villain looks quite aggressive, but with the sample size of only 25 hands.

I don't know what to do here:
      a) Go broke preflop -- a bad idea against unknowns on NL2
      b) Fold -- but the hand looks shiny :f_frown:
      c) Call and shove the flop with an overpair -- that's what I did, but it seems stupid to me now. Perhaps it's the worst option, because we still lose to KK+, and the only monster hand that we could profitably shove against preflop (AK) would just fold on the flop with no aces and kings :f_biggrin:

All in all, I think fold against an unknown is the best option.

Yup? :)
  • 7 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I don't think it is wrong to go broke preflop with QQ.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

Preflop: I'm not sure exactly why we are calling more than 1/3 of our stack preflop here. If you want to play the hand simply shove and go with it.

I think a worse idea than going broke is calling.

So if you don't feel comfortable playing this hand for a shove simply fold.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Okay, I see, thanks guys.

Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default? It's better than AK, I guess. Still, I keep running in AA almost every single time I play KK, so I became too insecure when it comes to stacking preflop :f_biggrin:

I still stack with KK, I try to call IP with AK, but I don't know what to do with QQ :f_mad:

Please bear in mind that I play NL2, where most people don't bother with 3/4/5-bet bluffing.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Okay, I see, thanks guys.

Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default? It's better than AK, I guess. Still, I keep running in AA almost every single time I play KK, so I became too insecure when it comes to stacking preflop :f_biggrin:

I still stack with KK, I try to call IP with AK, but I don't know what to do with QQ :f_mad:

Please bear in mind that I play NL2, where most people don't bother with 3/4/5-bet bluffing.
      It really depends on the players and positions.

If in a spot like this where you 3-bet UTG/MP vs the blinds it's a bit loose to go broke with it as people 4-bet bluff less and stack off tighter.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default?

If in a spot like this where you 3-bet UTG/MP vs the blinds it's a bit loose to go broke with it as people 4-bet bluff less and stack off tighter.
      Aw. Why do people 4-bet bluff less when UTG/MP was raised by someone on the blinds?

I though it's no good to stack because of the tight initial range of UTG/MP. So it's okay to stack against someone who was stealing from CO when we have QQ, but it's loose to stack against the same guy raised from UTG.

Thanks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default?

Aw. Why do people 4-bet bluff less when UTG/MP was raised by someone on the blinds?

I though it's no good to stack because of the tight initial range of UTG/MP. So it's okay to stack against someone who was stealing from CO when we have QQ, but it's loose to stack against the same guy raised from UTG.

Thanks.
      Ask yourself this:

What's more likely to be a bluff:
      1) 3-bet from BTN vs CO open
      2) 3-bet from SB vs UTG/MP open

Usually people 3-bet bluff a lot less versus early position because ranges are tighter. Thus, since the 3-bettor is tighter the 4-bets are tighter too. Of course there are always exception to the rules.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh, I see now. Thanks.