[NL2-NL10] [NL2 SH] QQ vs. a 4-bet

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      BB: $5.34 (267 bb)
      UTG: $4.65 (232.5 bb)
      MP: $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      CO: $1.60 (80 bb)
      BTN: $0.73 (36.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q Q
      MP posts BB OOP, CO posts BB OOP, UTG folds, MP raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, BB folds, MP raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.46

Flop: ($1.46) 7 8 K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.92, Hero folds

The villain looks quite aggressive, but with the sample size of only 25 hands.

I don't know what to do here:
      a) Go broke preflop -- a bad idea against unknowns on NL2
      b) Fold -- but the hand looks shiny :f_frown:
      c) Call and shove the flop with an overpair -- that's what I did, but it seems stupid to me now. Perhaps it's the worst option, because we still lose to KK+, and the only monster hand that we could profitably shove against preflop (AK) would just fold on the flop with no aces and kings :f_biggrin:

All in all, I think fold against an unknown is the best option.

Yup? :)
  • 7 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I don't think it is wrong to go broke preflop with QQ.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

Preflop: I'm not sure exactly why we are calling more than 1/3 of our stack preflop here. If you want to play the hand simply shove and go with it.

I think a worse idea than going broke is calling.

So if you don't feel comfortable playing this hand for a shove simply fold.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Okay, I see, thanks guys.

Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default? It's better than AK, I guess. Still, I keep running in AA almost every single time I play KK, so I became too insecure when it comes to stacking preflop :f_biggrin:

I still stack with KK, I try to call IP with AK, but I don't know what to do with QQ :f_mad:

Please bear in mind that I play NL2, where most people don't bother with 3/4/5-bet bluffing.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Okay, I see, thanks guys.

Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default? It's better than AK, I guess. Still, I keep running in AA almost every single time I play KK, so I became too insecure when it comes to stacking preflop :f_biggrin:

I still stack with KK, I try to call IP with AK, but I don't know what to do with QQ :f_mad:

Please bear in mind that I play NL2, where most people don't bother with 3/4/5-bet bluffing.
      It really depends on the players and positions.

If in a spot like this where you 3-bet UTG/MP vs the blinds it's a bit loose to go broke with it as people 4-bet bluff less and stack off tighter.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default?

If in a spot like this where you 3-bet UTG/MP vs the blinds it's a bit loose to go broke with it as people 4-bet bluff less and stack off tighter.
      Aw. Why do people 4-bet bluff less when UTG/MP was raised by someone on the blinds?

I though it's no good to stack because of the tight initial range of UTG/MP. So it's okay to stack against someone who was stealing from CO when we have QQ, but it's loose to stack against the same guy raised from UTG.

Thanks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Should QQ be a hand that I want to go all-in preflop by default?

Aw. Why do people 4-bet bluff less when UTG/MP was raised by someone on the blinds?

I though it's no good to stack because of the tight initial range of UTG/MP. So it's okay to stack against someone who was stealing from CO when we have QQ, but it's loose to stack against the same guy raised from UTG.

Thanks.
      Ask yourself this:

What's more likely to be a bluff:
      1) 3-bet from BTN vs CO open
      2) 3-bet from SB vs UTG/MP open

Usually people 3-bet bluff a lot less versus early position because ranges are tighter. Thus, since the 3-bettor is tighter the 4-bets are tighter too. Of course there are always exception to the rules.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh, I see now. Thanks.