Very strange bug

• Voeter
      Voeter
      Basic
      This was -no- fun... see my e-mail to support with the mentioned screens. No further explanation needed:

Dear support,

Today I took part in a $1,750 freezeout tournament (721650511). Around 20:50 your server time there were less than 30 players left in the game, I was 2nd in chip position and I made a preflop raise. On my screen all players folded, and the game even showed me the animation where the blinds and antes got shipped to me. Then the screen froze for about 10 seconds, and I thought I got transferred to another table. To my surprise the same hand I had where I (seemingly) picked up the blinds appeared, I saw a flop and I had to make a decision to call, raise or fold a bet. I did not see -anyone- at the table who was betting. I decided to fold, being flabbergasted by what happened. After that I took screenshot #1 (wtf.jpg).
      One or two hands later I picked up JJ and again decided to place a bet preflop. After seeing everyone fold to my position I had the option to call a 3x big blind bet, raise or fold (??). I had no idea who was betting again, and unsure what to do. Because of my hand strength though, I had no intention of folding and called, not knowing what else to do. After the flop I either raised or called bets, considering the fact that all but one of the players at the table had even half my chip count so I didn't risk that much of my chips. Afterwards I saw my chip count go down, so I must have lost. See screenshot #2 for this (wtf2.jpg). Here you can also exactly see what I saw while playing. Nobody was playing against me, with me calling or raising against an invisible opponent.
      After some tabletalk asking what on earth happened I restarted my client, and PRESTO! Another player appeared at the table (keesjan1, directly to my right, see screenshot wtf3.jpg). I would have never played my hand like I did against a player this deepstacked, because I have way more equity against preflop raisers with a smaller stack.

After all this I ended up #14 in the tournament. I have to conclude this error in your software ended up costing me dozens to possibly hundreds of dollars (considering the big increase in prizemoney between #14 and #1). Also, I am very sorry to have to report this second problem with your software/server within a few weeks time. I would like to know how you or I can prevent this problem from occurring in the future and if and how you are willing to provide a sort of recompense to my (theoretical, but still very real) incurred loss.

Thanking you in advance for your response.

With regards,

[name edited out]

screenies:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/91607220@N05/

[edit] because I cropped the pics before posting them here you cannot see the table in wtf2.jpg where you can see I lost chips. The history that shows me playing against nobody -is- included though [/edit]
  • 9 replies
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      shitty situation, I doubt they will give you anything but it's possible. Keep us updated.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Yes indeed, let us know how things go from here Voeter

Best regards,
      Gary
    • Voeter
      Voeter
      Basic
      Well, so far so good. Will keep you guys posted!

Dear X,
      Thank you for submitting this to our attention. Please rest assured that we have submitted this situation to our Department in charge, for review. As soon as they investigate your game sessions, we will get back to you with the results of the investigation. We take this opportunity to assure that we take full responsibility whenever we deal with inconveniences caused by our software. Meanwhile, we count on your patience on this matter.

Best regards,
      Lauraine
      Customer Support Poker770
    • GitGud
      GitGud
      Bronze
      Fucked up.

That looks like 770. Is it? If it is, I doubt they'll compensate you in anyway. :(

Good luck.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by GitGud
      Fucked up.

That looks like 770. Is it? If it is, I doubt they'll compensate you in anyway. :(

Good luck.
      His CS message from the post above says "Customer Support Poker770" so yes it is ;)
    • Voeter
      Voeter
      Basic
      Still no response from 770 support...
      Any of you guys have had dealings with them for a case like this? Do they often take this long to respond?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey again,

I guess with Christmas holidays there may be some added delays. All you can do for now is be patient and await a reply as you have been :)
    • tomstaube
      tomstaube
      Bronze
      I had similar thing on some ipoker site.
      If that happens you can close tables and reopen them then everything will be ok.
    • Voeter
      Voeter
      Basic
      Got a response a few days ago, but wasn't at home so couldn't post. Anyways, here's the response:

Dear X,
      We are contacting you with regard to the technical situation encountered during the $1,750 GP Freezeout (721650511). First of all, we would like to thank you for your patience during the investigation. Please consider that for all technical issues, there are specific standard verification that must be undertaken on the game sessions. While we aim at solving the situations in priority, we cannot skip these checking procedures, as this is the only way we can get a clear understanding of what has happened and, finally, get accurate results. In addition to this, once a member of our Poker770 community, you are are entitled to a fair and throughout investigation, for all concerns regarding your player account. This being said, please be informed that the investigation has just been completed. Thus, the checking of our game sessions has revealed that there were actually no connectivity issues with our game servers, during the $1,750 GP Freezeout tournament that might have affected your performance. This was rather a display issue, which could have been caused by your Internet Connection. When playing poker then it is very important to have a stable Internet connection, as the poker network uses TCP connections, which cannot manage under packet loss or slow response times. When you have intermittent connectivity then the system sometimes cannot wait for the response from your end that long, thus affecting the display of the games. We completely understand how confusing this situation must have been to you, not being able to see the other opponent and his betting actions, but please consider that this was not something that we could have anticipated, as the display issue affected your display only, not the unfolding of the game itself. And as we have explained to you before, the issue was completely independent of our servers. Of course, we want to keep track of this situation, so we would appreciate it if you can get back to us, indicating whether you have encountered the same issue again. Last, but not least, rest assured that it is our main goal to make sure you are enjoying your stay at our cash tables and tournaments. For this reason, we are offering you a free invitation to our tournaments. We invite you therefore to check My account>Vip Levels&Token and take advantage of this token. Hoping you find this information useful we remain at your service for any questions you may have.
      Best regards,
      Lauraine Customer Support Poker770

While I do not think their explanation is entirely valid (I mean, their software should be mindful of packet loss and have some automatic way of recovering from it... the software I used @ partypoker and pokerstars never had this problem), I can at least appreciate their small compensation in the matter.

@ tomstaube: I know that now, thanks man. After the incident I figured out a workaround, but at the time it already had me make bad choices/mistakes and thus the damage was already done...