HU question

• 11 replies
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Since hu is more swingy and has more variance the more the better but it all depends on if you are willing to move down quickly
    • adobog
      adobog
      Bronze
      I have no problems with moving down-up. But I would need a app number.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      what exactly are you playing? stakes? buy ins you currently have? little info about how long you have played poker?
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      Originally posted by serverm07
      Since hu is more swingy and has more variance the more the better but it all depends on if you are willing to move down quickly

Wait! What? ?( HUSNG's is less swingy and has lowest variance than any other game type.

For hypers Im using 50/35BI rule, move up when you have 50 for next level, move down when you have 35 BI at current level.

For turbos I used 25/15BI rule, same could go for reg. speed.

But if you are new to HU, stick to at least 75BI.

GL :f_cool:
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      The above reply is one of the maddest thing I've ever read. HU is by far the most swingy and highest variance form of No Limit Holdem. This applies to HU cash and HU SnGs. I've never read anything from any reputable source that says otherwise and personal experience implies the same.

Read a little heads up play and I gaurantee you won't find anything which suggests it's less swingy or lower variance. Simple indisputable maths guarantees higher varience the fewer players there at a table.

that said the numbers given above are pretty good if you're a confident HU player and don't mind the swings. I'd start with 50-60 BI and move down when I only have 35-40 BI.
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      ^ lol, where did you hear that :D its very simple less players = less variance, more players = more variance
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      Variance goes smth like this:

MTT > MTSNG's > SNG's > HUSNG's

Am I missing something?
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      Your missing the fact that all strategy worth it's salt suggests you need more buy ins for heads up than for full ring. Relative hand values go up, so edges go down accordingly. despite edges being down you have to play almost every hand and you invest money in every single hand.

I've been playing and winning heads up for a number of years, this thread is the first time ive seen anyone suggest that swings are smaller in HU. And if swings were smaller why would you need to increase your buy ins? The opposite would be true if it were true that swings were smaller, but they aren't smaller. And that's why you need more buy ins.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      FWIW I used the same BRM as krist2ps (actually 45/40 for up to 15s, then 50/45 or 55/45 for 30s and 60s) and did just fine.

BRM is just a number you set for yourself, it can be pretty arbitrary, but the main thing is you follow it. You can't set 50/35, drop to 35 BIs, and then say "Oh well, it's a downswing, I'll just keep playing". That's how you go bust.

To answer OP's question, 50/35 and sticking to it sounds pretty good for hypers, 25/20 for turbos.
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      A winning player should have a minimum of 30 buy-ins for the level that he is playing at, but 50 buy-ins is preferable to ensure that you can handle even the worst downswings. With only two players and 50% of the field paid, heads-up is a less swingy game compared to many other formats. Long downswings are possible in all game types, however and heads-up is no exception.

From PokerStrategy article "The 6 Keys to Winning Heads-Up Sit ‘n Go Play"

So I'm not the only one who says that :)
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      Google "Life as a HU SnG Pro by the Numbers"

He suggests that HUSNGs have much lower variance than any other form of tournament. He has all the ROIs (+RB) and RORs posted there, and all of the minimum buyins you need, depending on what ROR you accept.

Not going to agree or disagree with the variance, but it really depends on your winrate. The closer you are to a true ROI of 0% the higher your variance in HU. Also HU is a harder game and ROI might be lower in another form where variance is lower.