[NL20-NL50] nl20 4-set, ugly board

• harrka
      harrka
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $54.55 (272.7 bb)
      Hero (SB): $37.37 (186.8 bb)
      BB: $20 (100 bb)
      UTG: $21.27 (106.4 bb)
      MP: $18.70 (93.5 bb)
      CO: $20.31 (101.5 bb)

I'm not sure about villain, because it was anonymous table, but I think his stats seemed like solid tag.

I think I was donking here, because I expected him to raise donks easily, but flop play is not my main question here.

How do you play this river? I think it is highly possible he was bluffraising my blocker, but he would probably do the same with Tx. What is the best line?

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4 4
      UTG raises to $0.60, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.50, BB folds

Flop: ($1.40) 8 4 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, UTG calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.20) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.60, UTG calls $2.60

River: ($8.40) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $4, UTG raises to $8, Hero folds
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Harrka,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Considering he opened UTG his range is presumably stronger and thus he will cbet more often. So I'd prefer to go for a check raise here.

The big question I have for you is what exactly are we valuebetting against on the river? What does villain call both flop and turn with that can call a river (and is not a Tx)?

I can see him doing that with maybe AJhh or AQhh? Rarely KK/AA?
    • harrka
      harrka
      Bronze
      Yes, I thought he could call with some bluffcatcher hands like AJ/AQhh, (KK/AA) because fd misses. And I did not wanted him to bluff..

So what do you suggest? Check-call or check-fold river??
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by harrka
      Yes, I thought he could call with some bluffcatcher hands like AJ/AQhh, (KK/AA) because fd misses. And I did not wanted him to bluff..

So what do you suggest? Check-call or check-fold river??
      If he did slowplay KK/AA he may bet them once we check and he will bluff his missed draws some % of the time too. So I think it's better to ck/call here or bet $2.5-$3 to induce a light call/raise but then we can't really fold to his raise anymore.