[NL20-NL50] NL50 FR - KQo on BB

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $22.66 (45.3 bb)
      SB: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $54.05 (108.1 bb)
      MP1: $56.63 (113.3 bb)
      MP2: $50 (100 bb)
      MP3: $77.59 (155.2 bb)
      CO: $31.34 (62.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q K
      5 folds, SB raises to $1, Hero raises to $3, SB calls $2

Flop: ($6) Q T 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.25, SB raises to $9.75, Hero folds

Results:
      $14.50 pot ($0.79 rake)
      Final Board: Q T 5
      SB mucked and won $13.71 ($6.46 net)
      Hero mucked Q K and lost (-$7.25 net)

Stats: VPIP: 13, PFR: 10, 3B: 3, AF: 1,7, Hands: 2680
      Steal from SB: 54 (26)

A resteal from me, I get TP, but I find a fold, correct?
      My thoughts of his range was sets (not so likely because I believe he slowplays here, but not so sure), QTs, AQs, and maybe bluffs, but unlikely due to size (would bet bigger in bluff?).
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Preflop I assume you 3bet for value, right? What's his fold vs 3bet? He opens quite a bit in SB but how often does he call with worse?

As played, I actually can't give a definitive answer. You need to build on your preflop assumptions so your hand, albeit TP second kicker might be quite weak compared to the made hands he has after he calls preflop so it's usually not a value cbet.

You can then consider bluffcatching or turning it into a bluff but turning into a bluff doesn't make much sense IMO.

As played, I think your opponent's sizing is not too small or too big. It looks just about right to me but your cbet sizing in a 3bet pot does look a bit too big.. 3.50-3.75 should be enough given the board texture and SPR.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

Preflop I assume you 3bet for value, right? What's his fold vs 3bet? He opens quite a bit in SB but how often does he call with worse?

As played, I actually can't give a definitive answer. You need to build on your preflop assumptions so your hand, albeit TP second kicker might be quite weak compared to the made hands he has after he calls preflop so it's usually not a value cbet.

You can then consider bluffcatching or turning it into a bluff but turning into a bluff doesn't make much sense IMO.

As played, I think your opponent's sizing is not too small or too big. It looks just about right to me but your cbet sizing in a 3bet pot does look a bit too big.. 3.50-3.75 should be enough given the board texture and SPR.

Well I'm still working on my steal and resteal ranges, since basically pre-NL50 no1 knows what position is, so you can imagine if they know stealing.
      I'd say it's for value in the meaning that I'm happy if he folds most of the time but if he calls at least I know where I am and I don't have to XC if I get some mid pair or something like that.

I agree with you that turning into a bluff doesn't make much sense, but in that moment I was thinking of value. Not wise. I understand that now that I'm "watching".

What's SPR? :f_biggrin:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      SPR = stack/pot... it's the ratio between your stack and the pot.

You simply don't have enough hands to figure out his calling range OOP... I would often check back here to maximize the chances I get to showdown and see how he defends vs 3bets. It might not be the highest EV play now, but knowing what he calls OOP vs my 3bets will allow me to make up for it really quickly.

I think in your case you are simply too readless to do anything... Can we include KJ, J9, AJ in his range? Can we include QTo or just QTs? What about 55? Basically, you should call about 50% of the time with your bluffcatchers... for me AA would turn into a bluffcatcher here so I'd probably call something along the lines of AA, KK, KJ, J9 (last 2 because of their equity), possibly AQ as well.. KQ would go in my check back range until I know more about him although I think you still get a call by worse often, it's just an idea of getting info you can use really quickly.

LE: I say 50% of the time if you think your opponent can be bluffing here when he raises. This will make you reasonably close to unexploitable...