Basic bankroll management?

• SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      I cannot find any articles on basic bankroll management anymore... can anyone point me into right direction or just answer here?

If I play NL cash games full ring, how many buy-ins I need to move up to next limit? 50? 100? and when am I supposed to move back to lower limit if i happen to lose?
  • 15 replies
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1534/1/
      in this article is the suggested bankroll table.

for micros people suggest 50 BI for beginners.

probably taking shot at a higher limit even with 45 BI and then dropping back down when you lose 5 of those is okay still - but beware, losing 5 BI of a higher limit than what you usually play at can be really depressing to some people.

you should simply think about your confidence in your play and how much losing a few stacks effect you. you'll have to decide if you want the safer, but slower bankroll building strategy - or a bit quicker but also riskier and possibly more swingy.

i'd suggest keeping it safe. move up when you have both 50+ BIs and feel happy with your play on the lower limit.
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Tnx for the answer! :) 50 BIs it will be then :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey there sir,

50 is a nice number to use as a beginner as it allows you to make a Couple of mistakes without damaging your bankroll too much.

Some people prefer a More aggressive approach in order to climb stakes a little quicker and use only 15-20 buyins but I wouldn't recommend this unless you have previous (preferably winning) experience at the micros at least.

Good luck
      Carl
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi SilverSag

PokerNab posted the article that handles BR management. Thanks PokerNab :f_love:

I personally always used the 25BI rule. So I move up whenever I have 25 BI's. If I lost a couple of BI's I move back down. 50 is a bit much imo, but better safe then sorry! Just make sure you stick to your BR management. This is very important if you don't want to bust your roll!

Regards

RasTweet
    • ellamcc
      ellamcc
      Bronze
      This is probably a dumb question, but my locker room thread is already too long so I'm going to ask here anyway:

Are there any "guidelines" to leave a table if my stack grows significantly before I planned on quitting? For instance, if my stack grows to 4-500+ BBs while I'm sitting at a NL (.02/.04) table early on in my session, is it dependent on the other stacks and players at the table?

I've been ignoring it and going by "the feel" but I wonder if there's more of a guideline so long as it stays full and doesn't dip too far below 100 BBs.

Thanks for any thoughts or help here -- Ella
    • iThinBetRiver
      iThinBetRiver
      Bronze
      Personally, I cash out if my stack > 250 to 300 BBs.

It definitely would be dependent on the players there though. If you feel that you have a good edge on them, then keep playing unless one of them has you covered and you start playing scared money.

Also it would also be dependent on your BR. If you have say around 20 to 25 BIs, best to cash out when you ~ 200BBs.

Unless they have very short stacks, their stack sizes wouldn't concern me (assuming again that you have a good edge on them ofc)

Just my 2 cents :f_biggrin:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I wouldnt say there is a strategy really and going by feel is good imo. If you feel like you aren't playing your best then that is the right time to quit. Many people feel uncomfortable playing deep stacked and start to spew if you feel comfortable playing deep and the tables are good carry on until this changes :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      As long as you aren't spewing because you have a big stack and it's still a very profitable table I can't see to many reasons to leave.

I'm playing Fast Forward these days and I've had a 6BI stack on there. I don't really care to much about my stack, the important thing is what kind of stack the villian has. If he is deep then I look at my stack.

But lets say you have 200bb on the table and you run into someone with 200bb as well, then you're in a kinda crappy situation :( So again it's something personal. If you want to play with 200bb's then you can't be scared of playing vs someone who is deep as well. If you are scared to loose all the money then just leave the table because you are playing with scared money.

Well thats what I think about it :D

Regards

RasTweet
    • ellamcc
      ellamcc
      Bronze
      Hey thanks!

Maybe it wasn't as stupid a question as I thought. =)

From now on, just to avoid any discomfort on my part, I think I'll leave the table and start again with 100BBs. At least that way, if I lose an all-in bet, I'm not losing too much. Maybe as I get a bit better I can re-evaluate, but for now, thanks everyone a ton! That really did help.

You guys are great. - Ella

(edited for really bad typing)
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Thank you, Rastweet and Externaluseonly! I do have winning experience in micros. I am not a beginner player either, I have 600K + hands in my database. So I guess I will be more aggressive with my bankroll, especcially since I seem to be doing good at NL2 atm (20bb/100h).

In my previous stint I started to have difficulties at NL50, so to be on a safe side, I will stick to more conservative bankroll strategy when I approach NL25.

The question about deepstack was good too. I dont mind playing deepstack, because I think it looks impressive to newcomers at the table. They might think I am good :f_grin:

I try to cash out if I see situation changing or if there ir good or very reckless player with stack that matches mine. I dont want to stack him for 200-500 bbs and lose :f_love:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ellamcc
      Hey thanks!

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask ;) we learn by asking questions so keep em coming :)

@OP 600k hands, nice :) Mind if i ask why you are playing NL2 again? Did you take a break from poker and are coming back into it now? Or tilt away your roll and are starting fresh? Whats the story? :)

Good luck
      Carl
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Originally posted by ellamcc
      Hey thanks!

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask ;) we learn by asking questions so keep em coming :)

@OP 600k hands, nice :) Mind if i ask why you are playing NL2 again? Did you take a break from poker and are coming back into it now? Or tilt away your roll and are starting fresh? Whats the story? :)

Good luck
      Carl
      Well... the full story is in my blog. To cut it short - due to circumstances I made a decision to basically go pro without a proper buffer. I was playing NL50 and attempting short stints at NL100 at that moment. My move coinceded with a long downswing, which brought lack of confidence and I slowly ate my bankroll away. Literally, spent it on food.

Now I have recovered from depression, have a shitty job that pays the bills (driving a taxi) and want to try climbing the stakes again. I am quite stubborn and I dont want to invest my own money. So far I have invested $10 and have built it up to $55 in less than 10K hands and looking good.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      Ref BRM i think at micros i would be more concerned how i beat the game if i was newish player
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

@Ella, regarding deep stacks (I'm kinda slow :) )

I think you should start with checking an article about deep stack play in the silver section (that I never have time to check myself). IMO, the major differences are:
      • with bad postflop play you are likely to loose more
      • with postflop edge you are likely to win more (given deep fish)
      • you have better implied odds in some situations, f.e., I would imagine that you can play looser preflop against deep maniacs (they will pay you off a lot when you hit)

On the other hand, it might be very tilting to play deep with LAGs and maniacs :f_biggrin:

What I would recommend you though, is to use stop-losses and update them as you get deep. F.e., if your stop-loss is 2 BI for a table, and you won 2 BI early in the session, you should still leave the table when you lose the money you won. Hope it makes sense :)
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Personally I don't set a limit on when to leave because my stack is too big>100bb. And if someone comes along that also has say 300bb then it just means you're able to take all of it in one pot :s_biggrin: