[NL2-NL10] [NL2 SH] JJ overpair, flush board

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $1.08 (54 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      MP: $2.43 (121.5 bb)
      CO: $15.83 (791.5 bb)
      BTN: $1 (50 bb)
      SB: $2.91 (145.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J J
      Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.08, SB calls $0.07, BB folds

Flop: ($0.26) 9 4 3 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BTN calls $0.20, SB folds

Turn: ($0.66) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.42, Hero calls $0.42

River: ($1.50) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.33, BTN calls $0.30 and is all-in

Fold the turn? What about the river?

When he called the flop, I thought that he might be on a FD. His float on the turn might be same FD or Tx as well. However, he also might have had a flush on the flop. All in all, I decided to call.

On the river FD busted and Tx got trips. I thought that I'm gonna call his shove anyway, and decided to shove myself to prevent 9x from checking behind.
  • 5 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      What are button's statistics? If he is folding to cbet on flop often we can definitely bet, 1/2 is enough due to his stack.

As played, If you want to go till the end you should ch/call river. That way you can get value from his bluffs, too, as A :diamond: Qx -type of hands can't call you anymore.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey German,

Don't forget that information is key. What do we know about villain?

As played why do we just shove the turn rather than leave him such a small amount behind?

The way I'd play this would be bet pot on flop and shove turn (vs BTN)
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Sorry, Bogdan, I have only 4 hands on him.

So we are happy to stack against a short guy on a flush board, after he called pot-sized cbet? I always play very cautiously on these boards...his range includes the whole lot of combinations that give him a flush, no?

As played why do we just shove the turn rather than leave him such a small amount behind?

Yup, inducing a bluff would be generally better I guess. As I said, I thought of 9x that might call us and check-behind otherwise, but it's quite unlikely, I agree.

@CPallo, I cbet here regardless of his stats with an overpair. We also cannot make it 1/2 at least because there's a full stacked SB in the hand...and I think I would make it 80% even HU with a short guy (protection).
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      For all the flushes he can have he has a ton of Ad/Kd hands that can call and pairs with a diamond.

Of course we won't be ahead a great deal of time but it should be enough to show a profit.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      True. Thanks. I'll try to play more aggressively here.