[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH AJ 3bet OOP facing turnraise

• PewPewPoker
      PewPewPoker
      Bronze
      Hello everybody :)

CO had 25vpip and 23PFR and 8% 3bet over 211 hands, so he seemed a pretty aggressive player. I have been squeezing/restealing him quite a bit and he called me almost every time. I figured I could value3bet him here, and maybe letting him call with a pocket pair or AXs, or suited connector hands. I didn't want to isolate myself against better hands on the flop, so I checked, and given his aggression call a flop bet, and re-evaluate on the turn. He checked behind, so he either holds a monster like a set or KJ, or a top pair with mediocre kicker I think. I think he would bet if he missed the flop completely.
      On the turn, I value bet small, hoping he would call with JX or a pocket pair like 77. I also wanted to protect my hand. But now he raises me, and I've never saw him do such a thing before.
      His raise could mean two things: he tought my small bet was very weak and decided to raise, or he really has a monster.
      The problem is we can only beat a bluff :/

How would you play this hand? And as played, would you call the turn or just fold?

iPoker - $0.20 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): $21.45
      BB: $20.70
      UTG: $16.27
      CO: $27.29
      BTN: $9.63

Hero posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.20

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.30) Hero has J:diamond: A:heart:

fold, CO raises to $0.60, fold, Hero raises to $1.80, fold, CO calls $1.20

Flop: ($3.80, 2 players) 5:diamond: J:club: K:heart:
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($3.80, 2 players) 4:heart:
      Hero bets $2.00, CO raises to $6.20, ????
  • 2 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Bet the flop for value. Fold to turn raise. He isn't bluffing often there and if he is he would likely follow up with a river bet which means you have to bluffcatch 2 streets.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I would mostly prefer c-betting on KJ5r board, since if you check your hand seems exactly what it is: marginal hand that wants to go on showdown. If you c-bet you get often folds, sometimes calls, rarely raises and if get called you can consider c/c turn to induce bet from floats.

Since I would expect Kx bet flop (and most of the times also 77), then only hand he is representing is 44.
      I think b/c is that spot reasonable (if you give player credit making bluffraises) and see what he does on the river. If player is straight forward then put him on 44 and make correct fold

best regards,