[NL2-NL10] NL5 - Lower Flush

• Philfox1985
      This hand raised a question for me on nearly every street.

Pre-flop I took a look at his raising range and saw it was pretty darn wide at over 50% if un-opened on the BTN, hence the re-raise. The idea was that I would still have equity in the hand against his calling range.

Flop I very nearly c-bet, if I'm honest it was the fact that I hit bottom pair that stopped me. I didn't want to isolate myself against all the stronger hands that would call, but the alternative argument is that I knew this largely missed his range (Overcards) and that I could fold his equity in the hand.

Turn I felt I had enough equity with a pair plus draw to justify the bet.

River I bet as I felt he would call with Jx or 10x - Alternative was chk/calling, but I didn't put him on too many draws on the turn - misguided in this instance, but against his range ok?

I called the min-raise without really thinking, I know I pretty much only beat a bluff looking back on it, so its debatable whether I should have made a crying fold.

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $20.15 (403 bb)
      SB: $3.17 (63.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $22.19 (443.8 bb)
      UTG: $6.96 (139.2 bb)
      MP: $6.75 (135 bb)
      CO: $7.98 (159.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6 7
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.45, BTN calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.92) T 6 T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.92) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

River: ($1.92) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, BTN raises to $2, Hero calls $1

$5.92 pot ($0.25 rake)
      Final Board: T 6 T J 9
      BTN showed 5 A and won $5.67 ($2.72 net)
      Hero mucked 6 7 and lost (-$2.95 net)
  • 2 replies
    • Dracsharp
      You played it well

Pre: Ok

Flop: If he called in loose chances are he won't fold his strong ax or any pp, so i like giving up, other option is some kind of double/tripple barreling deep. Stats could really help here.

Turn: Better if we bet, and we are representing value hand that checked the flop in hope of bluff so i expect that he folds more

River: b/c good he could have worse, like tx , straight
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Phil,

This deep we should 3-bet larger preflop with all of our range and normally we can expend our value range a lot.

Why? Because players will start calling with a ton of hands to play postflop versus us (for implied odds).

So I'd make it 4x preflop.

As played I'd cbet the flop. His range is so wide that he can even fold Ax/Kx/Qx which are all better than our 7 high. We can also fire on multiple turn/river cards.

As played we can even bet/fold that river. We only beat a bluff. All his value range is better than us (and I doubt he ever has a naked Tx there).

if the raise is any bigger it's definitely a fold.