It’s a monster – tame it or it will swallow you whole.

• trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      I ran a blog last year, called: This is my blog, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

It was my first experience at blogging and I really enjoyed it.

I like the idea of new starts at the beginning of the year and so I will start a new blog.

My main aim is to be a little more structured and consistent with this blog than the previous one.

I am 45 years old. I have been playing poker for about five years. I’m okay at poker, but not that good. I play 6max speed poker and play on PokerStars Fast. I have a bankroll of $1300.

I have been dithering about at 10nl – for various reasons – but will be starting at $25nl this year.

I have a mrsbob and a peskydaughter (mrsbob isn’t peskydaughter’s mum).

I am a Nursing Home Manager for people with dementia.

I like films, music, theatre and games.

I like the blogs that have a bit of human quality and humour in them.

I dislike blogs that are just hands and graphs.

My Goals for 2013

1 – Play 25nl and then 50nl on a 40/30 bankroll system

2 – Use this blog to be more organised i.e. Monthly Reviews and Target Setting

3 – Dedicate some proper study time

4 – Post more hands here and in Hand Evaluation Forum

5 – Be better organised and have better bankroll management for the live games I play
  • 26 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by trickybob
      I am 45 years old. I have been playing poker for about five years. I’m okay at poker, but not that good. I play 6max speed poker and play on PokerStars Fast. I have a bankroll of $1300.
      Young 'un aren't ya, laddie?

I am a Nursing Home Manager for people with dementia.
      Most of us will end up your clients -- or clients of people w/ similar jobs.

It is v sobering to me that two of my long time friends have already gone that route -- and neither over 55.

I'll be following.

All the best in 2013!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Run good Bob!

Best of luck this year with your goals!
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Subscribed :f_love:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Ty Vorpal, HM and MC.

Today I start playing again – yippee! :f_biggrin:

I haven’t played for the last week or so as my New Year Resolutions have been biting a bit, namely:

Quit Smoking – Again! :s_evil:

I only started again because of playing live poker, but the occasional ciggie during breaks quickly became a daily habit.
      I stopped on New Year’s Day.

Don’t Drink Alcohol at Home :f_cry:

Last June I completed 12 months without alcohol and won a bet off my girlfriend. Then I slowly slipped back into mild alcoholism. I don’t mind drinking, but it doesn’t mix with poker. I play badly when drunk, but I tilt even worse. So, no more drinking in the house.
      This means I might actually get off my arse and go out with mrsbob a bit more; the pub at the bottom of our road is also a brewery and the beer is excellent.

The other aspects of my New Year’s Resolution are to lose weight and get fit, but when I stop smoking and drinking I typically eat ten billion calories a day for a few weeks, so I will put that on hold for a while.

January’s Poker Goals

Play 15k Hands

This isn’t too huge a target (I hope). I will be playing 3 tables of 25nl Fast Poker on Stars. I will play for 90 minutes so I expect to play a little over 1k hands per session. Although I’m starting late this month, I still think 15k hands is an achievable target.

Always Use the Process Model

I got really good at this last year, but slipped off during December (hic).
      I found it very beneficial to tilt control, staying in the moment, focus and reflecting.
      I took about 5 mins to warm up and about 20 to cool down (journal writing, note taking, hand reviews), this will make each session last about 2 hours.
      This is a good habit that I learned last year and I need to embed it this year.

Study Time – Pre Flop

I have completed my Open Ranges, Bet Sizes, 3bet Ranges so need to work on Calling Ranges and Blind Defence. I also need to do a bit more work regarding Calling 3bets/4bets.
      I will get as much of this achieved as I can, but only at a sensible pace i.e. I will give myself time to learn and implement before moving on.
      One in five sessions will be for Study (2 hours).

I have a starting bankroll of $1350

I will post monthly reviews and monthly targets.

I will of course be posting a lot of irreverent bollocks too. :f_p:

Time to get grinding again! :f_thumbsup:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      My Poker Week

Went to Gwithian beach today with mrsbob. Spending time exploring rock pools was a nice way to blow away some of the cobwebs.

On Thursday we went to see Nicholas Parsons. mrsbob had no idea who he was and when I told her he was 90 this year she wasn't too sure about the whole thing. In the interval she asked, "can we take him home?"

He was very enjoyable and is the last link with the times past and nostalgic. He remains witty, a good mimic and thoroughly charming. He's worked with just about every comedian of note of the last 75 years in Britain.

Of things poker:

I have been playing a tighter than usual game as I adjust to 25nl. This is okay, I believe it takes me about 10k hands to feel comfortable in a new game.

I've been playing well, running pretty fair and am back using the Process Model to all its advantages.

I am playing more hands than I anticipated - between 1300-1500 each session, so don't anticipate volume to be too much of an issue.

Will post a couple of interesting hands tomorrow. :f_cool:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Ouch!

Already on a 10bi downswing including 6 in tonight's session.

That hurt!!!
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Ouch!

That hurt!!!
      What would Nicholas Parsons do?
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Ouch!

That hurt!!!
      What would Nicholas Parsons do?
      Tell an amusing anecdote involving Kenneth Williams.

:f_biggrin:

And then say, "without repetition, hesitation or deviation off you go!"

But I think that's a direct quote from, Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, isn't it? It's been ages since I've seen that. He told us at the end that working with Rik and Ade was like nothing he'd ever done before ... or wanted to do agiain, but was great fun.

For the Zimmers - even older than us!!!

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I've had a proper shave from a old-time barber using a straight razor.

It's rather the male equivalent of a spa treatment for the ladies.

First they use hot wet towels to moisten your beard all up, then the lather, the shave then the towels and whatever the lotion is they use afterwards.

Nothing quite like it.

There are no barbers around any more that do a straight-razor shave, and none I'd trust my neck to even if they said they could do one.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Brilliant, was unaware of him before your posts :f_love:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Apparently Tesco are having their veggie burgers tested for uniquorn!
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Had an evening off yesterday after Tuesday's mauling.

Reviewed session this morning.

I ran extremely bad, but about 2bi was avoidable had I been playing better.

The mistakes that I made weren't terrible, but annoy me because I know I can play better and in particular make better folds.

Still so much to learn.

:f_ugly:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Did the weigh in at work at the end of last week as part of a sponsored weight loss that a few of us are doing.

I was 15st at start of year and now I'm 16st - so well done me. :f_cry:

I now have a BMI of 30.5 which makes me officially obese. :f_frown:

As the Lead Housekeeper quipped - I don't think you've understood the concept of this have you?

I haven't smoked this year :s_biggrin: so on with the weight loss and fitness.

Can't wait ...
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Run Fat Boy! Run!
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Run Fat Boy! Run!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I'd give it up bob, you'll owe them a fortune by the end of it otherwise. :P
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Did the weigh in at work at the end of last week as part of a sponsored weight loss that a few of us are doing.

3 yrs ago I was right where you are now, and we went from two cars down to 1, and I started taking the bus to work.

At the start, the 8 min walk to the shuttle bus to the transit exchange was torture, and I hated the 20 minute wait when I got there.

After about two months, I started walking to the exchange -- took me 1 half hour, but I turned my waiting time into walking time.

I'm now 13st 10, I save 4500 a year in vehicle expenses (the insurance alone was is 2x the annual transit cost).
      I get to relax, read, chat with other passengers and enjoy the trip to work instead of stressing about traffic.

The only downside is that my total commute time is 1hr 10 min instead of 45 min. each way -- balanced by the fact that I get 1 hour exercise each day w/o having to take time from anything else

I don't know if that would work for you, but after I got over the initial hump I wished I had got rid of the car years earlier.

Best of luck w/ the exercise!
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

3 yrs ago I was right where you are now, and we went from two cars down to 1, and I started taking the bus to work.

At the start, the 8 min walk to the shuttle bus to the transit exchange was torture, and I hated the 20 minute wait when I got there.

After about two months, I started walking to the exchange -- took me 1 half hour, but I turned my waiting time into walking time.

I'm now 13st 10, I save 4500 a year in vehicle expenses (the insurance alone was is 2x the annual transit cost).
      I get to relax, read, chat with other passengers and enjoy the trip to work instead of stressing about traffic.

The only downside is that my total commute time is 1hr 10 min instead of 45 min. each way

I don't know if that would work for you, but after I got over the initial hump I wished I had got rid of the car years earlier.

Best of luck w/ the exercise!
      I think you'll find that's what I said.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      :D