Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($5.23)
      BB ($10.66)
      UTG ($5.17)
      Hero ($7.52)
      BTN ($3.10)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: Q:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.17, fold, SB raises to $0.45, fold, Hero calls $0.28

FLOP ($0.95) 7:heart: 3:club: 4:diamond:

SB bets $0.57, Hero calls $0.57

TURN ($2.09) 7:heart: 3:club: 4:diamond: 6:diamond:

SB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($2.09) 7:heart: 3:club: 4:diamond: 6:diamond: 9:spade:

SB bets $1.25, Hero folds

SB wins $1.96

Not an aggro 3better but i have blockers and position so i should be able to take the pot from him, higher flop cbet percentage would make me happier but plan was call flop check/fold turn , bet river if he checks. 4bet would be a simpler alternative.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dracsharp,

Preflop: against a tighter 3-better either 4-bet or fold this hand (4-bet bluff) unless we have postflop reads.

Postflop: The only reads we have are in the stats and it seems that he doesn't like to cbet much. yet he cbets here so why are we calling and then not even attempt to get him to fold AK on the turn?

What was your plan? See a showdown, and against what?
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      I wanted to fold it at the river, as i wrote, and i agree 4b fold is better.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      I wanted to fold it at the river, as i wrote, and i agree 4b fold is better.
      Yes I know you wrote that. But I am asking why not bet the turn? Why wait till the river and give him a chance to bluff again?
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Because reg oop checking turn with value hand is often standard line, turn check doesn't mean much usually i personally would do it for bluff/fold/value, nor my checkbehind means much either.

On river opp you only check if you expect a bet or when you giving up.

If he bets the river i am beat if he doesn't i have a reliable bluff, ain't that better than betting versus his whole range ?

Betting turn makes sense if we are pushing river, i see no reason for that he won't buy that we have a straight, i really don't aim to make him to fold anything beside his Ax.

+
      I know turn bet is stronger but river bet is more reliable, and he will be none the wiser unless he has gazillion stats on me.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      Because reg oop checking turn with value hand is often standard line, turn check doesn't mean much usually i personally would do it for bluff/fold/value, nor my checkbehind means much either.

On river opp you only check if you expect a bet or when you giving up.

If he bets the river i am beat if he doesn't i have a reliable bluff, ain't that better than betting versus his whole range ?

Betting turn makes sense if we are pushing river, i see no reason for that he won't buy that we have a straight, i really don't aim to make him to fold anything beside his Ax.

+
      I know turn bet is stronger but river bet is more reliable, and he will be none the wiser unless he has gazillion stats on me.
      Part of calling light with hands like this and trying to steal pots from opponents is to start applying pressure on their ranges (presumably wider since you called light preflop) early on. If you expect villain to rarely ever bluff the river after you check the turn then your line may be better.