How not to play AA )

• 21 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I don't get your point actually. Do you want to brag because you sucked out on Aces after playing your hand terrible? Yes, your opponent didn't play AA any better. In the end both plays sucked. What do you expect from this thread?

EDIT: That may have sounded a little rude. That wasn't my intention. I am just not sure where this is going and if the mtt strategy forum is the right place for it :)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Asaban
      I don't get your point actually. Do you want to brag because you sucked out on Aces after playing your hand terrible? Yes, your opponent didn't play AA any better. In the end both plays sucked. What do you expect from this thread?

EDIT: That may have sounded a little rude. That wasn't my intention. I am just not sure where this is going and if the mtt strategy forum is the right place for it :)

Regards,
      Asaban
      Whats wrong with villains play with AA? He managed to get the fish to stick it in with KQ after all.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Sure - but I am not sure that he had this read ;)
      Looks like a little over-reaction on his side.
    • errolflyn
      errolflyn
      Bronze
      Dear moderator Asaban )

early position min bet , raise 900 from AA , i dont have fold equaty !! Such a wrong play by him , if he could shove i fold if he 3-4 bet i fold !! its not suck out my dear moderator friend ;)
      by the way 100 to 900 it seems too weak to the situation if you understand !
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      So, you're saying that if he would have raised to 300-400 you would fold? If so, then he did nice as he got you all in :)
    • errolflyn
      errolflyn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krist2ps
      So, you're saying that if he would have raised to 300-400 you would fold? If so, then he did nice as he got you all in :)
      exactly :D

Edit:Greed is not good animal :s_biggrin:
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Well - thats not the way you should normally react to something like this ;)
      I stay with my oppinion: Misplayed by both players - and not just a little. =)
    • BogdanMarin69
      BogdanMarin69
      Bronze
      I think the villain played well. He was out of position and didn't wanted you to give any odds to play in position with a drawing hand. Your raise utg usually signals great strength so it was a great chance that you woldn't fold so he did a great job getting allin before the flop with AA.
      Change the title of the thread:"how not to play KQo utg" :)

What kind of tournament was it?
    • VladimirN
      VladimirN
      Bronze
      Villain obviously played it perfectly. He got you to shove all of your chips 40 BBs deep with KQo into AA.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      edit: i wrote stupid thing :f_biggrin:
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      i'm not a tournament player but i would sometimes play the same as villain.

minraise utg in my experience often means higher pp or AK/AQ when we're in the middle of the tourney. so i'm expecting to get called or pushed on.

as played, he induced you to push by betting big?
    • SirPaulius
      SirPaulius
      Bronze
      he got u in with AA, his play wasnt good, but obv u played ur hand just terrible
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Silver
      So i did play this really bad?
      PokerStars - $3.19+$0.31|600/1200 Ante 75 NL - Holdem - 5 playersHand converted by PokerTracker 3BTN: 16,059.00SB: 8,883.00BB: 9,948.00UTG: 14,342.00Hero (CO): 18,268.00BTN posts ante 75.00, SB posts ante 75.00, BB posts ante 75.00, UTG posts ante 75.00, Hero posts ante 75.00, SB posts SB 600.00, BB posts BB 1,200.00Pre Flop: (2175.00) Hero has A:club: A:diamond: fold, Hero raises to 18,193.00 and is all-in, fold, fold, BB calls 8,673.00 and is all-inFlop: (20721.00, 2 players) J:diamond: 2:heart: 5:spade: Turn: (20721.00, 2 players) 3:spade: River: (20721.00, 2 players) 3:heart: BB shows 7:club: 7:spade: (Two Pair, Sevens and Threes) (Pre 20%, Flop 8%, Turn 5%)Hero shows A:club: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Threes) (Pre 80%, Flop 92%, Turn 95%)Hero wins 20,721.00
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      In general you guys shouldn't evaluate a hand based on the outcome. The first hand was played bad by both players. The fact that OP got it in preflop is not due to his opponents' bad play. His opponent simply overplayed the hand and got lucky to find someone willing to pay with a random holding.

The 2nd hand that was posted recently is just standard and I am not sure why you are posting these hands (as I wasn't sure about the first one as well). If you want serious evaluations you should post in our hand evaluation forum:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1503

In the end this is the mtt strategy forum. So there should be at least some kind of strategic reference or strategy related question. The forum is not meant to be a stage to show of random hands without further sense.

Please be more specific on what you want to achieve with this thread and where this is going. Are you seriously questioning the general approach of playing AA or do you want evaluations of your hands? Or is it just some random hand posting to brag/whine/whatever?

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate postings in this forum. Still, I would like to make sure that I understand your intentions.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Silver
      Why i did post this? Well first you want to get max.value with aces and shove may not give it to you, so i should minraise with aces there BUT before i did shove four times in a row. If you dont know previous action,table dynamics and player stats, there's no point of make decisions like "bad play" etc. We dont know how hero did play before, QKofs utg minraise shove gives some info.. i cant really say that SB did play that bad.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I totally agree that it is not possible to judge plays when information is missing (f.e. previous action/history). Therefore the hand you posted is absolutely reasonable and well played as long as it fits into your concept. The spot is suitable for this kind of push because of your stack as well as your opponents' stacksizes. Even without the history of 4 shoves in a row the push can make sense depending on your general approach and the game flow. Therefore I won't judge it as bad play. For many players your play will be absolute standard.

Talking about the first hand by OP this is a totally different szenario. Yes, he gets it allin preflop which is obviously very good for him and therefore a great achievement if he knew that this would happen. Still, his play is bad. Even if he knew for sure that UTG would go allin as a response, he scares BB out of the hand in 99% of the cases.
      I seriously doubt that he knew for sure that UTG wouldn't fold in this spot. Therefore he might as well have chosen a reasonable amount (maximum of 400 chips) for his 3bet. The result should be the same if he expects UTG to get it in preflop anyways. The only difference would be a scenario where UTG still has a folding range (which he normally has). In this case he might decide to call the smaller bet while he folds to the 900 chips 3bet. Furthermore he might even be more tempted to shove allin since he sees some fold equity.

Imo there is no reasonable explanation for the amount he bets. A smaller amount should have way more benefits.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      :rolleyes:
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      If you want to discuss: Do it!
      If you want to spam: Better not!

Posting random smileys won't help anyone and isn't very constructive. Further spam will obv be deleted.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Originally posted by Asaban
      If you want to discuss: Do it!
      If you want to spam: Better not!

Posting random smileys won't help anyone and isn't very constructive. Further spam will obv be deleted.

Regards,
      Asaban
      You need to relax sir. There isn't much to discuss here and me posting a smiley doesn't hurt anyone. I just found the hand and the OP funny so I posted a smiley. You already posted enough info discussing the hand so I didn't feel the need to add to that.