[NL2-NL10] Do we fold our steal trash to a min-raise?

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $1.19 (59.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $8.20 (410 bb)
      BTN: $1.60 (80 bb)
      SB: $2.08 (104 bb)
      BB: $4.97 (248.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9 T
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.07, BTN calls $0.07, SB folds, BB raises to $0.12, Hero folds

The title says it all :) I would tend to call here if our hand was suited, but off-suit it looks like it's not worse investing another 2.5 bb even with good pot odds.

Or we always call min-raises, regardless of what we were raising with? It might prevent exploiting our loose steal range, I don't know...Obviously, on NL2 this guy is just a fish, and he's not trying to exploit us, but it's good to start busting possible leaks early on.
  • 7 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

It looks like we have a few fishy guys behind us so the open may be a bit too loose to begin with.

Once we get min 3-bet we can call strictly for 2p+ for the odds we are given (BTN will most likely call as well).
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh, alright. I still haven't bought the Flopzilla yet, did you say we have ~11% chances to flop 2P? If we add here straights and OESD, should be enough, we need 14% if BU calls.

Bogdan, talking about loose openings, I have my Pokerstrategy ORC in front of me atm, and it says that the tight range from BU includes 45+, 79+. Is it a mistake, should it rather be 45s+ and 79s+?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Aren't we in the CO atm?

2p+ is only 4-5%. OESD for a connector is 10%. The ones that can straights both up and down.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Ok, 4-5%, thanks.

Yes we are in CO :f_biggrin: I just thought that this question will be close enough to our topic, and if I left a comment under the strategy article, where I got this ORC from, it would never be answered.

I also thought that you, as an old Pokerstrategy.com resident, might be interested in helping to correct our articles, if it really is a typo :) (mostly I was concerned about my game of course)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Ok, 4-5%, thanks.

Yes we are in CO :f_biggrin: I just thought that this question will be close enough to our topic, and if I left a comment under the strategy article, where I got this ORC from, it would never be answered.

I also thought that you, as an old Pokerstrategy.com resident, might be interested in helping to correct our articles, if it really is a typo :) (mostly I was concerned about my game of course)
      BTN ranges are usually much wider compared to CO ranges. In many spots they can be 2x as wide if not more.

So while it may seem loose to open that much in most low limit games you will show a pretty big profit with all of your stealing range as long as you don't spew money away.

Shoot me a link to your comment and I'll take a quick look however I doubt there's a mistake there as those guides have been up for a while now and have been reviewed/tested a lot.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Shoot me a link to your comment and I'll take a quick look however I doubt there's a mistake there as those guides have been up for a while now and have been reviewed/tested a lot.
      Here's the chart in PDF (and here's the article itself).

My comment was, that the bottom chart (the tightest one, the absolute minimum that we open), still suggests to open off-suit connectors and gappers. So basically, we open 79o even against calling stations in the blinds. I thought that they may have just forgotten to add "s" there. Opening 79o as a standard from BU, but only 79s, when we want to play tight, would make more sense, as for me.

If it's not a typo, would you really suggest opening 45o and 79o against calling stations or maniacs in the blinds?

Thanks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Having calling stations in the blinds is no longer a standard spot right? The charts are meant to be your standard which you usually open when you have no info on the players or for example they are your "standard" players.

So I would say that in that case I would tighten up my range significantly and play hands that can flop well and can valuebet, even thin 1-3 streets. So offsuite connectors like 45 or 79 are a muck preflop.