[NL2-NL10] [NL2 SH] AQs vs. a 3bet from a nit

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.06 (103 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $2.19 (109.5 bb)
      MP: $2.36 (118 bb)
      CO: $7.45 (372.5 bb)
      BTN: $3 (150 bb)
      SB: $2.97 (148.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q A
      Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BTN raises to $0.25, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.17

Flop: ($0.53) A 7 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BTN raises to $1.40, Hero folds

Our guy is a real nit: 14/12/7.3/285. Obviously, he will have 285 hands on me as well, and I'm not opening loose from UTG, so he's not likely to do it light here, if he's capable of 3betting light at all.

I even considered folding preflop. Now it seems, that it wasn't such a bad idea...

My main reason was that we might be ahead of QQ-KK on an ace board, plus FDs.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

Preflop: So you considered folding preflop? How nice of you :s_biggrin:

I'd say this should be close to an insta muck versus a tight guy overall. Is that 7.3 3bet or AF?

Calling 3-bets OOp is a sure way to lose money and I really don't get the donk on the flop?

Why not check, let him bet it with his entire range and if he checks back we have an easier time to play it (we are almost always ahead).
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      :f_biggrin: Don't be mean.

Nah, 7.3 is 3bet. I have a small sample size for 3bet though, that's why I included the part that he's not likely to play light against my tight UTG open range.

Calling 3-bets OOp is a sure way to lose money
      Always? How about AJs, KQs versus a wide range? I think I remember Plamen or mbml saying that it's an okay calling spot, even OOP (because we can't really 4bet for value).

So I extended the idea a bit further, and decided that AQs might be a good calling spot against a tight range :f_biggrin: I'm not sure if it works this way though.

Regarding the donk: so you reckon we can play check/call the flop (if he's not potting it here), check/fold the turn, and donk the river? (because we would be ahead on the river)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I'm pretty sure mbml said the KQ/AJ bit however you may have taken that out of context.

In spots where you can expect a lot of light 3-bets (BTN vs blinds, CO vs BTN, etc) it gets better. However, for most people and especially beginners you still usually lose money with those hands postflop. So at first, while you improve your hand reading, player profiling skills, etc. you are safer playing 4-bet or fold OOP especially against somewhat unknown opponents.

I'd say that calling flop and folding turn without info about his postflop play it's a good start (once we called preflop).

My question to you is: if you expect him to have a strong range why are we calling? We stand to lose a lot versus AK/AA on Axx and rarely get more than 1/2 bets if we are ahead and if we flop a Qx we stand to lose the entire stack to QQ+. So really our equity is poor and we play OOp with no initiative.

My recommendation is that you should not take suggestions that either of the judges make without understanding the reason why we recommend that (like the mbml example).
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      My question to you is: if you expect him to have a strong range why are we calling? We stand to lose a lot versus AK/AA on Axx and rarely get more than 1/2 bets if we are ahead and if we flop a Qx we stand to lose the entire stack to QQ+. So really our equity is poor and we play OOp with no initiative.
      So basically, AQ is no better from A2 here? :f_biggrin: Actually, A2 might have even higher equity, since our wheel straight will never be dominated :f_biggrin:

Yeah, dominated hands suck here not only because you will often be behind, but also when you are ahead, you just won't be called by worse. I overlooked this part.

Originally posted by BogdanPS
      My recommendation is that you should not take suggestions that either of the judges make without understanding the reason why we recommend that (like the mbml example).
      Yeah, true. Though, it should be fine as long as I take these ideas with caution, and ask further questions after putting it in practice, if I have any doubts. Just like I did with this hand. Still better than ignoring everything you don't fully understand.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Of course :)

Always try to challenge what you are told unless it's really obvious that it's correct.

Also try to look at the variables involved when discussing a scenario because those same (similar) variables may not be present in the scenario you are looking to apply the knowledge to.