• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Villain (237 hands)
      Cont. bet: 70
      raise turn: 50(2)
      raise flop: 13(8)
      28/22

Fold on turn? How could I have played it differently.

Full Tilt Poker $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $4.95
      BB: $6.28
      Hero (UTG): $5.52
      CO: $6.16
      BTN: $2.50

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is UTG with Q:heart: Q:diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.37) 6:spade: T:spade: T:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, CO calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.77) J:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, CO raises to $1.30, Hero calls $0.90

River: ($3.37) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4.51 all in, Hero requests TIME, Hero folds
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi,

As played I would say that we have an easy fold on the turn.

However I am wondering what the purpose of our bet is? What are we valuebetting against?
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Valuebetting against any draws or pair of Js here. I think opponent could even raise with either but I don't like his shove at the end, considering there's 3 suited cards out and the potential for a straight/better pair.

The problem I have with raises a lot of the time is that a lot of players will raise with a pair or as a pure bluff and it's more common with this type of player.

If the river came air and he shoved is this still a fold? Or let's say the jack on the turn wasn't a spade.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by sketchzr
      Valuebetting against any draws or pair of Js here. I think opponent could even raise with either but I don't like his shove at the end, considering there's 3 suited cards out and the potential for a straight/better pair.

The problem I have with raises a lot of the time is that a lot of players will raise with a pair or as a pure bluff and it's more common with this type of player.

If the river came air and he shoved is this still a fold? Or let's say the jack on the turn wasn't a spade.
      As mentioned above, without history/info I'm folding the turn so I wouldn't get to the river.

The problem is, unless he floats a ton, he won't have many Jx hands that would raise there and it doesn't really make sense for him to raise Jx unless it's maybe JA with As.

Personally I doubt that you get bluff raised (or thin value raised) as much as you say (a lot of the time) unless you play in aggressive games. And 5nl games are usually not very aggressive.

However if you are confident in your read you still have to take each spot as it's own and try to think about ranges. What makes sense for him to valueraise there, what makes sense for him to bluff with.

This is a spot where he can have a ton of better hands than ours for example while he can have fewer bluffs.
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      I play 6-Max games so it is a bit more aggressive, I guess people don't bluff raise that often although people definitely raise pairs a lot.

But you're right I think from his perception it's unlikely he's going to risk bluffing me off a board like this with so much out there.

Opponent does appear to be floating quite a bit (fold to cbet 50%). Also saw him raising turn and shoving all in on river on an A-5 board with a pair of aces at some point, not sure what that says though if anything.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      The board that he took that line with Ax is important.

If it's a similar drawy board then we have an easier call and call. However on this board I think that the most that would raise would be AJ with As. I doubt he raises JQ/JK/JA otherwise.

And if he raises those TP hands you can imagine what he does with Tx or flushes (of course some Tx may raise flop).