The life of a low limits cash game and MTT player

• terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      Hi my name is Terry, ive been playing poker for around a year online. I am twenty years old and want to start tracking my progress, as i cant actually get elephant to work im going to start blogging my progress, i will update after each session as you get stats with pokerstars. hopefully with everyones help i can help to develop my game.

Starting Bankroll - $16.74

Current Bankroll - $49.96

MTTs Played - 5

MTT Buy-ins - $6.60

MTT Winnings - $8.27

SnGs 9 Man played - 3

SnGs 9 Man Buy-ins - $3.60

SnGs 9 Man Winnings - $4.50

SnGs HU Played - 3

SnGs HU Buy-ins - $6.60

SnGs HU Winnings $0

hands played    profit     BB/100hands

NL5 $0.01/02 - 3538   $41.31          58.38

NL10 $0.02/05SH 668 $7.04 21.07

NL10 $0.05/10 618 -$10.10 0

PLO5$0.01/02 - 60       -$1.00              0

Target for End of August

- To get my bankroll to $100 so i have 25 $4 BIs for NL10 (42%)

- To clear my $10 bonus on Pokerstars   (57/100)

- To try and get over 5BB/100hands on NL5 (x)  (running at 5.83)

- To get itm in at least 5 MTTs - 1 final table (1 ITM 0 FT)

- To make sure that i always have at least 20 BIs (x) (21 BI)

Target For Enf of Year Dec 31st

-To make my bankroll at least $1000

-Aim to get to $2500 for 25 BIs at NL100
  • 19 replies
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      Ive had a good start, day one has gone well, i have made a profit of $6.66.
      For some reason knowing that i am making a blog has made me feel like i can up my game and so far it has succeeded. I may go back online a bit later on and play a few more cash games. The depositors freeroll is on in 3 and a half hours so if im back in time ill be playing that. hopefully my good luck can hold up.

had a shocker of an afternoon, lost most of the winnings i had made earlier, just kept being outdrawn, qq vs kk twice and when i had ak and hit a full house someone had aa so hit a better full house. I did go on tilt and lost a dollar but then held it back together and managed to win a dollar back before losing another few cents. ive decided to call it a day, at least im up for the day so all has not been lost, not quite as up as i hoped though. o well... tomorrows a new day

decided to play a few more hands in the evening and had some success, after a shaky start losing half the buy-in within 20 hands i managed to crawl my way to $2.71 profit, played some really solid poker and got a few lucky rivers but nothing dangerous came my way. avoided a few obvious hands, people were playing too obviously apart from one period when there were lots of all ins, i managed a double up in that period. In whole im pleased with the way things went, could have made a bit more profit if id managed to avoid the early losses, maybe a few leaks in my game that need to be ironed over. well see how the next week goes.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Nice to see you are starting a blog, it helped me to become a better player, I hope it works the same for you ;)

Good luck and keep us informed
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      just lost 2 buy-ins, one of them to a guy who hit everything, he even called my AK all in QJs and hit a runner runner flush, hit every set when he had a pocket and i kept gettin nice hands, he also hit a couple of river 2 pairs when he was basically fishing with nothing, even when i tried to take the pot down with a raise he called, how do stop donks like that? or cant you. ive had enough for a while, back down to 17.50, so i got a lot of work just to get BRM, ive only got 8 BIs so stil playing at the risky stage, think i have a lot to learn.

started playing the 100k satelite and finished 32nd, 2 places off, so im down to 15.36. need some luck or i wont have a bankroll!!!hopefully i will start winnings hands rather then being rivered!
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      having no luck in MTTs atm, finished about 5 places outside on the 100k satellite again, so thats $22 that ive dropped, that would have made a nice difference. been gettin some nice hands on the cash tables though. had about a $6-7 profit margin not exactly sure of the amount. i did lose one buy-in though, just never got going on one table, im playing 3 tables at the same time now, once my roll is a bit higher i will start playing 4 and then 6 when im ready. ive been playing much tighter poker, picking my moments to be aggressive, my favourite highlight was when i hit a river flush, there was only one other player in the hand and he raised 10c, i decided to just go 4 it, raised all in, turned he had the flush aswell, fortunately mine was with the ace though. that was in the 4th hand i played, and it got better from there.

got my AA cracked by a muppet who hit a runner runner straight and then lost KK v QQ, again he hit a runner runner straight beating my trips, i think ive had enough, back to where i started again, infact 8c down. lol, just need to start running consistently lucky, i could be up to $24 now but instead im at $16, the joy of playing poker online,.. grr....
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      Played a little earlier, won about a dollar 50 in about 130 hands which was nice, had nothing special but played solid poker, choosing the right points to put my chips in and the right size to bet, i found playing much more aggressively then normal really benefited my game. I was very happy with my play and felt much more confident then i have been, i feel this might be the start of better things for me. my target is to get my bankroll to $30 by the end of the month. I know its not a huge target but im only playing 2 tables a lot of the time still. i don't have a big enough bankroll and i don't think its worth risking it at the moment, when i get over $30 i'll start playing 5 tables.

Had a nice start to making my end of month target, got a lovely table that i joined where everyone left apart from two players on tilt. i only managed to double up once but i was happy enough with it, i won with A9 suited, not the best but i felt if my ace hit then i would win and also if he didnt hit, it was worth the risk i felt. maybe it wasn't statistacally i wouldn't know, it worked though, lol. i managed to win a few small pots but also lost 80c in a silly pot, i know it not much to the big guns but its 40BB at the level im playing atm. one was against a flush, i had 2 pair, i knew he had it but for some reason i just had to call. thats probably why im not making much profit. I've been getting good at reading players at these levels, i know its not hard but its a good start, hopefully i can keep playing solidly and getting luck, that would be nice!
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      Just played almost 280 hands at a profit of $7.98, easily the best session ive had. hit almost everything for the first 200 hands, it slowed up a bit so i decided to take a break and reflect on it. I had a few beautiful hands. i need to find out how to post sample hands so i can get feedback. I had an ace high flush that beat a king high flush when i had pocket aces. i made $3.70 off that, before that though i had lost a $2 buy-in to a different player who ten minutes later i hit quad 10s against and won back more then what he took from me, that was a proud moment. Every table i played at i have had at least a $1 profit today. so im very proud, usually ill win on one table but lose on the other which cancels each other out. so after that session i have double my NL5 profit to almost $16 in only 1600 or so hands so im really pleased, running quite smoothly. hopefully my luck will continue later on when i come back to play a few more hands.

lost 2 $2.00+0.20 HU matches, both were quite lame, first i got rivered and the second had the sneakiest trips ive seen, so i was quite pissed but then i went back to the cash table and made a nice profit of $7.22 in 320 hands, 361BB which was really nice, im running quite nicely on the cash tables, it could have even been more but i tried 4 tabling 4 a bit, im not quite ready for it yet i dont think. i love the donks on pokerstars. ive also made my target of $30 by the end of the month, was quite easy really, next time i should set a harder task, $8.60 more and ive got 20 BIs so it will feel a lot nicer having a proper bankroll behind me.

had a another good session in the evening, only about 230 hands but making a profit of $6.65, im keeping my sessions short and sweet but playing a few a day. i seem to be having better results from playing like this. so ive almost got to $40 now, which is good considerin it was onlt 2 days ago i was wobbling around $20, so ive almost doubled my bankroll. This means i can start enforcing BRM making sure that whatever limit i'm at i have at least 20 BIs or i will move back down to the next limit, moving up at 25 or 30 depending on how confident i feel on the limit above me. Playing solid poker though and im happy.Well on my way to achieving my august goals already after only setting them today.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      had a mixed session this morning, gained a $1.81 which im pleased about but i was at just over $4 at one point which is annoying, got my aces cracked by kq, hit a straight. pushed him pre-flop, was surprised he called, guessed i had an easy double up but had no luck. I didn't tilt though afterwards which definitely means im turning a corner. I'm actually caaring about my bankroll, not playing anywhere near as many stupid hands. I basically have $40 aswell so i have almost 20 BIs, this is a nice comfort, i need to start playing some MTTs for the FPP. going to play dollar game now, hopefully i can cash in it, another start towards a goal for this month.

just lost $3.30 in an MTT and a HU match. both got donked! X( so im down to $36 or so. its not the end of the world but it winds me up a little. it wasnt worth the 3 FPP, lol!!

i lost a dollar in about 60 hands of PLO but gained $7.13 in 280 hands NL5. I'm really pleased that this puts my roll to over $40, which is really good. I won't play PLO for a while and when i do i will start at the low limits and work my way up from there.im probably gonna play some more later.

Played 2 $1.20 SnGs, mainly for the FPP but managed to win one of them, the other i got railed early by a donk but it doesnt matter as i still gained $2.10, so im happy, bankroll getting close to $50 now, which is good, all in only a week, so im happy, hopefully i can get to $100 quickley as id like to move to NL10 because there may be a few more $8 pots at that level, which means some FPP, lol, i wana clear my bonus and move, then go bonus hunting. leave some deposited in Pokerstars as the level of competition is just far too easy.Feel temped to play a few more SnGs as i ended with a profit from those games.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      played 550 hands between last night and just now, ended last night down at - $4.40, which was annoying, same guy cracked me with pocket aces against my AK twice, he was playing like a twat but unluckily for me both times i pushed him he had the nuts, lol, won $6.20 in today session, about 450 hands. so im back on the gain, im happy for now. playing the depositors freeroll on pokerstars atm so well see how i do. im aiming for first, lol!

i just played the depositors freeroll and finished in 53/1257 which im pretty pleased with, adds another $4.23 to my bankroll which im always pleased with.Up to over $50 now so im well on my way to achieving august targets, this blog is helping me to improve my game, i need to tighten up definitely in some aspects but its nice to be able to see my progress. Its made a confident player which has resulted in instant profits.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by terrygilham

- To get my bankroll to $100 so i have 25 $4 BIs for NL10

-
      Are you playing BSS or SSS? IN both of the cases, you dont need a 40BB BI.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      SSS, how many BBs should i use then? 30?
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      got skinned of 2 bu-ins on NL10, both beaten by a high card, which annoys me, i feel NL10 is gonna be a bit harder then NL5, im changing my game to play strictly by the guides, so many donks though, i can feel im gonna be dropping quickly back down to NL5, well see what happens, im already at -$4 though on NL10, i dont want to lose more then 5 BIs, if i do then im going back to NL5, wish me luck!!!

got donked, lol, several times, lost basically 5 BIs in 250 hands, one of them was me playing dumb, pushin on OESD but it was mena be a steal raise which i got called down on, i was playing against complete dickheads who were getting lucky against me. The last buy-in i lost i pushed AQ from the button with one small raise behind me, got a caller which i didnt expect, nothing much hit, i presumed he had pockets which is fair enough. turned over he had 9 10 s and had hit his 9s, sums up my first attempt at NL10, back to NL5 for a while i suppose, im pretty pissed off right now, will leave it a bit longer i think till i give NL10 another crack.

well it was mixed bag, lost 2 BIs to the same guy who had KK both times i had AK which was annoying to say the least, then he lectured me on just being a kid!argh... so i stopped playing after the second one, other then that played some solid poker, im much happier now though, played 190 hands so i was gaining at about 6bb/100hands which im pleased enough with. need to get to $50 now though, gained several FPP aswell so im well on my way now to getting my $10 bonus, will make a nice difference i think. gotta tighten up a lot though. bad day on a whole, down by $7 or so. lets hope my next crack at NL10 will be a bit more successful. ill probably put in another 300 hands later on. I think id be a better BSS player then SSS, i havnt got the bankroll for it though, i play much better poker when ive got a big stack behind me. guess ill have to grind my way up to $200 before i can give it a crack.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      SSS is buying in with the lowest amount which is around 20bb for optimum use of the strategy.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie
      SSS is buying in with the lowest amount which is around 20bb for optimum use of the strategy.
      NL10 is the minimum limit to utilize SSS at its maximum. NL5 is not profitable enough to play SSS on.
      Nice read ;)
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      yeah i went and read the articles, lol, made a big difference straight away, im gonna just stick with NL10, i was playing NL5 SH, it went really well as you can see form my stats, ive played about another 180 hands atm on NL10 with a profit of 40bb, so i think ive got the strategy, lost one silly buy-in but after that it ly hit mw how i need to play. Plus im gaining FPP quickly now so its gotta be NL10 for now on, cheers for the advice guys.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      ive given up on NL10, just keep gettin donked plus i prefer playing SH tables, so im gonna play the 5c tables instead so i get 40BBs and once ive got to $220 dollars, so 22 BIs for NL10SH ill play that, 6-handed just suites my style of play, see how it goes, im gona play 1000 hands and see where i am, if it goes well ill just stick to this because i keep getting called by slightly better hands on NL10 fullring games, it just isnt working for me.

played only 100 hands as i cant get on the computer for very long at the moment, lost $1.16 which is an annoyance because i was over a dollar up untill one of the last hands where i hit trips but got beaten by a cheeky backdoor str8, o well, i like the tables though, lots of bluffing going on, which makes it easy to pick up big pots, it makes it easy to lose them aswell. give it a few days and i think ill start turning over a nice profit, i feel like my destiny is in my own hands again unlike when i was playing full ring, it was purely the luck of the cards.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Seems like ok BRM to me, gl :)
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      i just gained $5 in 50 hands, 2BB/hand. lol.donked out of $4 in 110 hands, quite unlucky, still slightly up, got 5k in the depositors freeroll, gotta sit out though cos gotta give the computer up, a mixed day, think i should end it at a slight profit though, so its good enough i guess

got donked in the freeroll, finished 155th ot so, got $2.66 for my efforts, was in 11th at one point but gone done by some lucky fool who hit trip jacks in the river to beat my pocket KK, and then got beaten finally when i pushed 66 from the BB and got called by QJ, what upset me though was he hit neither pair, the board gave two Kings and 2 8s so he beat me with the queen highcard, what a lucky fool.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      had a really nice session, back up to basically $50 so a very good day in all, ive played about 350 hands i think going at about a $5 profit, dont know the exacts but its good. going at 20bb/100hands after almost 700 hands, which im really pleased about, making a bit profit quite quickly. need to set new targets, need to remember.

lost 3 BIs in 100 hands.... it was a load of rubbish, the third was tilting, the 1st and scond i got donked. made the right push with 1010, had trips but got called down by a retard. who then hit a runner runner str8, the second was unfortunate, i had A10, hit pair on flop aces, got pushed and called, and a jack hit on the river which made his trips. so i duno, i think im gonna stop blogging for a while, take a break, wait till i can afford a pokertracker becos i cant get elephant to work. just play some small SnGs to claer the bonus and some $0.01/02 tables becos they are all donks, easy ,money, no Fpps though which is a bummer.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      had a crazy couple of days, was at $16 at my lowest point, back up to $39 now after a very nice session. I finally realised i was playing too loose, so ive tightened up a lot, hopefully i wont drop as much as i was but keep gaining a lot when im running nicely, played almost 1000 hands at NL10SH of which im very pleased with. only need another 13 FPP to clear my bonus of $10 so im happy.