[NL2-NL10] [NL2 SH] SB KQ vs. MP open-raise

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $4.12 (206 bb)
      UTG: $3.66 (183 bb)
      MP: $1.62 (81 bb)
      CO: $2.09 (104.5 bb)
      BTN: $4.96 (248 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2.14 (107 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q K
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.22, 2 folds

Hi guys,

I have this situation quite often, but I have no idea what to do with my KQ here.

The villain is unknown.

KQ is clearly not a value range against an unknown. I'm also not sure whether I can call with it OOP, since I know nothing about the villain. Finally, it looks so shiny that I feel bad folding it :f_biggrin:

Is 3bet-light a good solution for such spots against unknowns? It's not perfect either, because if we get called and the guy is tight, we might be dominated often.

Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey German,

Preflop: We do have some info about villain and that is his stack size.

We can imply that, based on stack size, he is likely to be on the weaker side (recreational) which means that he is most likely call happy, at least preflop.

So in this particular case, until more info arises, I would say that our 3-bet is for value vs his potential calling range. Because of that I'd 3-bet a bit smaller here to about .18-.20.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      :facepalm: you always see something I don't.

Thanks, Bogdan.

What would you recommend against unknowns with a 100 bb stack: 3bet/fold like I did, or muck it? (calling seems like the worst option for me).
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      :facepalm: you always see something I don't.

Thanks, Bogdan.

What would you recommend against unknowns with a 100 bb stack: 3bet/fold like I did, or muck it? (calling seems like the worst option for me).
      In these positions I'd 3-bet/fold (as a bluff).